Announcement

Collapse

Anthropology 201 Guidelines

Anthropology is the study of groups of people, their beliefs, practices, values, ideas, technologies, languages, economies and more.

All are welcome to post in this section, even Geico Cavemen.

A couple of caveats-- (1) racism has no place in this forum, and (2) please show a little discretion. In other words, if an attachment violates policy on the rest of TWEB, it violates policy in this forum as well, even if it depicts a highly interesting and unique aspect of some obscure culture. Keep it reasonably clean, folks.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

'Witch' tweets reflect society's fear of older women

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    I think it unnecessary to engage in aggressive sexual and violently abusive language.
    When you say something like this, it quite often leads to a really really stupid question....

Or would you not agree?
    Bingo!

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Interesting although this undoubtedly is, I am not sure I see its relevance to the abusive term 'witch' when applied to older women nor the online abuse via social media to which many women in general are subjected
      See post #7, and I suppose that's because of a quirk in the English language.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        See post #7, and I suppose that's because of a quirk in the English language.
        I cannot see the connection between the fact that the English word witch rhymes with the English for a female canine and the usage of the word "witch" as a term of abuse towards older women.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

I cannot see the connection between the fact that the English word witch rhymes with the English for a female canine and the usage of the word "witch" as a term of abuse towards older women.
          Most of the time when a woman gets called a witch, regardless of age, it is just a polite way of calling her the word for a female dog. And, at least in my experience, is used by other women more than men.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I am highly offended that HA suggests that older women are disrespected by “mostly men”. I, for one, get more disrespect from her than the rest of the world combined.

Just another whinge from her hateful misandry.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Most of the time when a woman gets called a witch, regardless of age, it is just a polite way of calling her the word for a female dog. And, at least in my experience, is used by other women more than men.
              Yeah, when a woman gets nasty, it's not unusual to say something like, "wow, she can be a real witch!" (Or, as my sister used to say "she can be a real witch with a 'b'")

Don't know where that originated, but it's pretty much universal in The States.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                I am highly offended that HA suggests that older women are disrespected by “mostly men”. I, for one, get more disrespect from her than the rest of the world combined.

You're saying she can be a real witch at times?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

You're saying she can be a real witch at times?
                  At times, yes.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Most of the time when a woman gets called a witch, regardless of age, it is just a polite way of calling her the word for a female dog.
                    You have an unusual take on what is deemed "polite".

And, at least in my experience, is used by other women more than men.
                    In your experience.

However, the abuse to which some women are subjected online suggests that much of it comes from men and Prof. Beard posed the question "Why?" What is it about women and older women in particular that causes some people [generally men] to react in such a manner?

Is it simply the anonymity of social media which gives the individual a freedom to write what in a face-to-face many of them might not actually say?

Or does this hint at something deeper in the male psyche?

"It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

It appears that you equate disagreement with disrespect. The two are in no way comparable.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

It appears that you equate disagreement with disrespect. The two are in no way comparable.
                        They certainly are, with you.

Comment

Honey, darlin, sweetiepie... you suffer from the delusion that when YOU are being a witch, it's "disagreement", but when others do it, it's "disrepsect".

That often happens when somebody like you thinks way too highly of themeselves.

Comment

They certainly are, with you.
                            Insisting they are comparable does not alter the fact that they are not.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Insisting they are comparable does not alter the fact that they are not.
                              Declaring that they are not comparable does not make the declaration a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                                Bullying and abuse is wrong. However, she doesn't appear to have considered the possibility that she was wrong about her comments on Question Time. Just as being abusive is not an argument against a position, neither is the fact of being abused proof that one is right.
                                Clever!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X