Announcement

Collapse

Anthropology 201 Guidelines

Anthropology is the study of groups of people, their beliefs, practices, values, ideas, technologies, languages, economies and more.

All are welcome to post in this section, even Geico Cavemen.

A couple of caveats-- (1) racism has no place in this forum, and (2) please show a little discretion. In other words, if an attachment violates policy on the rest of TWEB, it violates policy in this forum as well, even if it depicts a highly interesting and unique aspect of some obscure culture. Keep it reasonably clean, folks.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

'Witch' tweets reflect society's fear of older women

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

People are often drawn to religions because of trauma in their personal lives and those beliefs provide them with solace and comfort.
    ... Likewise, some people are repulsed by religions because of similar traumatic events, and rabid rejection of their beliefs can also provide solace and comfort.
    Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

I'm fairly sure that the dunking chair was the penalty for being convicted as a "common scold."
      * Yeah, I know that wasn't what they used them for, and that they simply bound them and tossed them into the river or lake to see if they floated -- but that shouldn't stop a good old fashioned rant

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        How many dealings have you had with "Frau Cavil"?
        One brief one, maybe, a year or two ago. Mustn't have been all that memorable, if I still have more vivid memories of the one-off troglodytes we used to get back in the day.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

* Yeah, I know that wasn't what they used them for, and that they simply bound them and tossed them into the river or lake to see if they floated -- but that shouldn't stop a good old fashioned rant

Maybe the lighter than a duck test would also be useful?
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Maybe the lighter than a duck test would also be useful?
            That would be the simply bound them and tossed them into the river or lake to see if they floated part

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post

... Likewise, some people are repulsed by religions because of similar traumatic events,
              Often as a result of what they have experienced in their religious upbringing.

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
              and rabid rejection of their beliefs can also provide solace and comfort.
              I would consider the word "rabid" somewhat emotive. However, your initial comment was about those who are religious. Not those who have rejected religion.

"It ain't necessarily so
              The things that you're liable
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life
              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                Often as a result of what they have experienced in their religious upbringing.
                Yes, And?

I would consider the word "rabid" somewhat emotive. However, your initial comment was about those who are religious. Not those who have rejected religion.
                And terms like 'solace' and 'comfort,' aren't emotive?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post

Yes, And?

And terms like 'solace' and 'comfort,' aren't emotive?
                  Rabid - irrationally extreme in opinion or practice.

I would not consider the terms solace and comfort to be overly emotive.

Solace - comfort in sorrow, misfortune, or trouble; alleviation of distress or discomfort.

Comfort - soothe, console reassure.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  The things that you're liable
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life
                  Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• I object to the reference " 'Witch' tweets reflect society's fear of older women, " as the view of witches today. This is a common ancient view where older women often lived in reclusive lives, which made them highly suspect due to superstitious views of the time. Even in the past the reasons for being accused of being witches varied and not all were elderly women.

The contemporary view of witches varies greatly from belief, and entertainment, to ridicule. In the third-world regions of the world, witchcraft is widely believed and practiced.
                    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X