Announcement

Collapse

Anthropology 201 Guidelines

Anthropology is the study of groups of people, their beliefs, practices, values, ideas, technologies, languages, economies and more.

All are welcome to post in this section, even Geico Cavemen.

A couple of caveats-- (1) racism has no place in this forum, and (2) please show a little discretion. In other words, if an attachment violates policy on the rest of TWEB, it violates policy in this forum as well, even if it depicts a highly interesting and unique aspect of some obscure culture. Keep it reasonably clean, folks.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

'Witch' tweets reflect society's fear of older women

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post

Any self-described, 'witches,' I know/see IRL have some severe drug, mental health, and/or daddy issues... the kind of people that don't exactly wind up becoming wise sages to impact society for the better in their later years (assuming they live long enough to see them, that is).
    She was a Wiccan, really cute and into me. She gave me a "nature drink" that contained a supposed love potion that ended up giving me a really bad case of food poisoning.

When she told me she was Wiccan she also added that it's "basically like Christianity," to which I replied in as a nice a manner as possible, "No. No it is not."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Any self-described, 'witches,' I know/see IRL have some severe drug, mental health, and/or daddy issues...
      One might make a similar observation for the reasons some become Christian.

I refer to those reasons as the Five Ds [Drugs, Dames, Dudes, Depression, Drink] or a combination of any of them.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I refer to those reasons as the Five Ds [Drugs, Dames, Dudes, Depression, Drink] or a combination of any of them.
        Note that in his case CV didn't say "some"

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Note that in his case CV didn't say "some"
          He wrote

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post

Any self-described, 'witches,' I know/see IRL

That indicates his own personal experience, i.e. some.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

He wrote

That indicates his own personal experience, i.e. some.
            That would be all of those he is familiar with -- not some of those he is familiar with.

Big difference.

Comment

That would be all of those he is familiar with -- not some of those he is familiar with.

Big difference.
              His personal acquaintance is not with all Wiccans. Only those with whom he knows i.e. some.

As with some Christians who have indicated how they "found the Lord".
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Yes. And?
                Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Yes. And?
                  How many dealings have you had with "Frau Cavil"?

Comment

Yes. And?
                    People are often drawn to religions because of trauma in their personal lives and those beliefs provide them with solace and comfort.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• I have been playing World of Warcraft and they have an entire area and quest story line dealing with killing witches. I must have killed at least a few dozen by now. And they gave me a liquid fire weapon to burn them with. How politically incorrect!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        I have been playing World of Warcraft and they have an entire area and quest story line dealing with killing witches. I must have killed at least a few dozen by now. And they gave me a liquid fire weapon to burn them with. How politically incorrect!
                        Are they turning villagers into newts, and have any of them gotten better?

Comment

Are they turning villagers into newts, and have any of them gotten better?
                          I did have to come up with a witch test and then carry it out on villagers to see which ones were witches! The first test was the shedding of tears, since witches can't cry. The 2nd test was the stinging of insects. Insects won't bite a witch! (professional courtesy I guess). The 3rd test was the testing of the viscera! Poison won't make a witch sick! Then I had to take a needle and stick villagers with it to make them reveal themselves as hidden witches!

Comment

She was a Wiccan, really cute and into me. She gave me a "nature drink" that contained a supposed love potion that ended up giving me a really bad case of food poisoning.

When she told me she was Wiccan she also added that it's "basically like Christianity," to which I replied in as a nice a manner as possible, "No. No it is not."
                            Let me guess. She was an independent, not associated with a coven nor under an HPS.
                            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                            Scripture before Tradition:
                            but that won't prevent others from
                            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I did have to come up with a witch test and then carry it out on villagers to see which ones were witches! The first test was the shedding of tears, since witches can't cry. The 2nd test was the stinging of insects. Insects won't bite a witch! (professional courtesy I guess). The 3rd test was the testing of the viscera! Poison won't make a witch sick! Then I had to take a needle and stick villagers with it to make them reveal themselves as hidden witches!
                              I don't cotton much to these new fangled methods. A dunking chair* was good enough for our ancestors and oughta be good enough for us.

* Yeah, I know that wasn't what they used them for, and that they simply bound them and tossed them into the river or lake to see if they floated -- but that shouldn't stop a good old fashioned rant

Comment

I don't cotton much to these new fangled methods. A dunking chair* was good enough for our ancestors and oughta be good enough for us.
                                I'm fairly sure that the dunking chair was the penalty for being convicted as a "common scold."
                                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                                Scripture before Tradition:
                                but that won't prevent others from
                                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X