Announcement

Collapse

Anthropology 201 Guidelines

Anthropology is the study of groups of people, their beliefs, practices, values, ideas, technologies, languages, economies and more.

All are welcome to post in this section, even Geico Cavemen.

A couple of caveats-- (1) racism has no place in this forum, and (2) please show a little discretion. In other words, if an attachment violates policy on the rest of TWEB, it violates policy in this forum as well, even if it depicts a highly interesting and unique aspect of some obscure culture. Keep it reasonably clean, folks.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

'Witch' tweets reflect society's fear of older women

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Most of the time that I've heard a woman called a witch it was usually a substitute for a word that rhymed with it.
    watch??
    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post

watch??
      Don't Be daft.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• If two witches were watching two watches, which witch would watch which watch?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

If two witches were watching two watches, which witch would watch which watch?
          Lemme guess -- the yellow one?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Lemme guess -- the yellow one?
            You know me sooooo well

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

It appears that anonymity permits many to indulge in language that I suspect most would probably not employ were they in a face-to-face situation with the subject of their incontinent rage.

The difference for women is that the abuse is invariably misogynistic with a large amount of sexual aggression and violence. J K Rowling was subjected to similar comments when she made her comparatively recent remarks.

I often wonder how the men [and it invariably is men who seem to indulge in such behaviours] would respond were their wives, grandmothers, or mothers subjected to similar tirades.
              One should note that Rowling was subjected to those comments by leftists (many of whom were women) who did not like her challenging of the woke liberal transgender theology.......

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

One should note that Rowling was subjected to those comments by leftists (many of whom were women) who did not like her challenging of the woke liberal transgender theology.......
                ouch
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

ouch
                  Even more ouch.
                  Originally posted by J K Rowling
                  I found my own sense of otherness, and my ambivalence about being a woman, reflected in the work of female writers and musicians who reassured me that, in spite of everything a sexist world tries to throw at the female-bodied, it’s fine not to feel pink, frilly and compliant inside your own head; it’s OK to feel confused, dark, both sexual and non-sexual, unsure of what or who you are.

I want to be very clear here: I know transition will be a solution for some gender dysphoric people, although I’m also aware through extensive research that studies have consistently shown that between 60-90% of gender dysphoric teens will grow out of their dysphoria.

she [born male] went through a long and rigorous process of evaluation, psychotherapy and staged transformation. The current explosion of trans activism is urging a removal of almost all the robust systems through which candidates for sex reassignment were once required to pass. A man who intends to have no surgery and take no hormones may now secure himself a Gender Recognition Certificate and be a woman in the sight of the law.
                  Link is not permitted because of prohibited language - though perfectly acceptable in the context in which it is used.

1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                  Scripture before Tradition:
                  but that won't prevent others from
                  taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                  of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

In this regard I do not care what political persuasion a person holds. .

Making obscene comments [or worse] to a woman [and before you start protesting, this thread is specifically about abuse to women and older women] just because the anonymous writer disagrees with that woman's opinion is not, to my mind, acceptable.

"It ain't necessarily so
                    The things that you're liable
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life
                    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

In this regard I do not care what political persuasion a person holds. .
                      Riiiight.
                      Making obscene comments [or worse] to a woman [and before you start protesting, this thread is specifically about abuse to women and older women] just because the anonymous writer disagrees with that woman's opinion is not, to my mind, acceptable.

You crapped on men, yet it was largely women who were doing this (liberal women) to JKR.

Comment

Riiiight.

You crapped on men, yet it was largely women who were doing this (liberal women) to JKR.
                        On the contrary my OP linked to an interview with an older female academic who had been subjected to very abusive and violent language by men for [among other things] expressing her opinions in a public forum i.e. as part of a panel on a television programme that deals with present day [primarily political] issues.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        The things that you're liable
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life
                        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

On the contrary my OP linked to an interview with an older female academic who had been subjected to very abusive and violent language by men for [among other things] expressing her opinions in a public forum i.e. as part of a panel on a television programme that deals with present day [primarily political] issues.
                          So this whole thing is based on anecdotal evidence from one person. How so very underwhelming.

And

H_A-dude.gif

Comment

• I dunno... 'Fear' of older and/or witchy women isn't what I've seen a lot of recently, but maybe I've just been hanging around too many fighting game fans as of late.
                            Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
                              I dunno... 'Fear' of older and/or witchy women isn't what I've seen a lot of recently, but maybe I've just been hanging around too many fighting game fans as of late.

Knew my share of "witchy wimmenfolk" in my younger days
                              One was a real witch who poisoned me with a "love potion"

Comment

Knew my share of "witchy wimmenfolk" in my younger days
                                One was a real witch who poisoned me with a "love potion"
                                Any self-described, 'witches,' I know/see IRL have some severe drug, mental health, and/or daddy issues... the kind of people that don't exactly wind up becoming wise sages to impact society for the better in their later years (assuming they live long enough to see them, that is).
                                Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X