Announcement

Collapse

Anthropology 201 Guidelines

Anthropology is the study of groups of people, their beliefs, practices, values, ideas, technologies, languages, economies and more.

All are welcome to post in this section, even Geico Cavemen.

A couple of caveats-- (1) racism has no place in this forum, and (2) please show a little discretion. In other words, if an attachment violates policy on the rest of TWEB, it violates policy in this forum as well, even if it depicts a highly interesting and unique aspect of some obscure culture. Keep it reasonably clean, folks.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The spellbinding history of cheese and witchcraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Rogue and I were actually trying to have some friendly fun by joking around with you (not mocking, trying to engage you in a little fellowship). Yet you seem humorless and take it all seriously.
    Unfortunately humour is very subjective and also some of your remarks made no sense to me. For example, if I made a reference to "the same procedure as every year, James" would you recognise the humorous allusion?
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Unfortunately humour is very subjective and also some of your remarks made no sense to me. For example, if I made a reference to "the same procedure as every year, James" would you recognise the humorous allusion?
      OK. I guess something got lost in translation. But we were only trying to have a bit of fun with the idea that women could be spellbound by a piece of cheese. You have to admit that concept is funny on it's own.

Comment

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think relatively obscure references to West German sitcoms are a bit different, sort of like my referring to "does anyone here have an aardvark" would be lost on most anyone who didn't live in the Washington D.C. area in the early mid 60s and watched a particular kids show on a local TV channel.

ETA: Apparently the guy made a record

And the show was syndicated although I think it was filmed in D.C.. Here's another one of his songs.

So stupid yet brings back fond memories.
          Last edited by rogue06; 01-26-2021, 02:10 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            I think relatively obscure references to West German sitcoms are a bit different.
            My reference was not to a "sitcom" "and it was not "West German". Although Cow Poke seems to have found a clip with Swedish subtitles. However, the short English comedy sketch Dinner for One from 1963 has become something of a New Year tradition in Germany [and originally West Germany] since the 1970s.

"It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

My reference was not to a "sitcom" "and it was not "West German". Although Cow Poke seems to have found a clip with Swedish subtitles. However, the short English comedy sketch Dinner for One from 1963 has become something of a New Year tradition in Germany [and originally West Germany] since the 1970s.
              Well la de da.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Well la de da.
                Indeed.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Indeed.
                  Indubitably

Comment

Indubitably
                    A classic Chip and Dale reference!
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

A classic Chip and Dale reference!
                      Actually the Goofy Gophers who were a Looney Tunes knockoff of Chip 'n' Dale (who were chipmunks)

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/5cd80df...c-8e894263c227

I might as well join H_A at picking nits.

Comment

Actually the Goofy Gophers who were a Looney Tunes knockoff of Chip 'n' Dale (who were chipmunks)

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/5cd80df...c-8e894263c227

I might as well join H_A at picking nits.
                        This is true, and I started to correct my post, but didn't want to cheat you out of the opportunity.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X