Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Notable Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non fui, fui. Non sum, non curo. --Epicurian epitaph
    "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
    --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

"Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?" (1Cor. 15:55).

Comment

“Rags, wretchedness, poverty and dirt, those signs and symbols that indicate the presence of Moslem rule.” Mark Twain
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
          Non fui, fui. Non sum, non curo.
          You will.

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

“Never confuse the person formed in the image of God, with the evil that is in him; because evil is but a chance misfortune, an illness, a devilish reverie. But the very essence of the person is the image of God, and this remains in him despite every disfigurement.”

St. John of Kronstadt
            I am become death...

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
              “The truth is like a lion; you don’t have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself.”

- Augustine of Hippo
              "People hate the truth for the sake of whatever it is that they love more than the truth. They love the truth when it shines warmly on them, and hate it when it rebukes them" --Augustine

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

For the living know that they will die;
                But the dead know nothing,
                And they have no more reward,
                For the memory of them is forgotten.
                Also their love, their hatred, and their envy have now perished;
                Nevermore will they have a share
                In anything done under the sun.
                Ecclesiastes 9:5-6
                I am become death...

Comment

A better burden can no man bear
                  on the way than his mother wit;
                  'tis the refuge of the poor, and richer it seems
                  than wealth in a world untried.

--Hávamál 10
                  "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
                  --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

I am become death...

Comment

When all the world was palimpsest, it was a perfect palindrome. - Patrick Rothfuss, The Slow Regard of Silent Things
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        When all the world was palimpsest, it was a perfect palindrome. - Patrick Rothfuss, The Slow Regard of Silent Things
                        Wow, it really means something to you. I have questions! When was the world palimpsest? What palindrome was that? "When all the world was palimpsest, tsespmilap saw dlrow nehw." Phew.
                        The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                          Wow, it really means something to you. I have questions! When was the world palimpsest? What palindrome was that? "When all the world was palimpsest, tsespmilap saw dlrow nehw." Phew.
                          You'd probably have to read the story to understand.

sigpic

Comment

To live in this world, you must be able to do three things: to love what is mortal; to hold it against your bones knowing your own life depends on it; and, when the time comes to let it go, to let it go.
                            Mary Oliver
                            I am become death...

Comment

Did you imagine that science was a disinterested quest for the truth? Well, you were wrong.

David Berlinski

Comment

How wonderful is Death,
                                Death, and his brother Sleep!
                                One, pale as yonder waning moon
                                With lips of lurid blue;
                                The other, rosy as the morn
                                When throned on ocean’s wave
                                It blushes o’er the world;
                                Yet both so passing wonderful!

From Queen Mab, Percy Bysshe Shelley
                                I am become death...

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X