Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Planning out a story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found Brandon Sanderson's lectures to be helpful -- he talks about outlining vs. discovery writing and the pros and cons of each. Some authors use what he calls the "points on a map" approach, where they know the main places they want to go with the plot but get there via discovery writing. I couldn't find the exact video I watched, but there are some listed here: http://www.writeaboutdragons.com/brandon_w2012/

Comment

I might have a plot; now to develop it. I have work to do....
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Kind Debater View Post
        I found Brandon Sanderson's lectures to be helpful -- he talks about outlining vs. discovery writing and the pros and cons of each. Some authors use what he calls the "points on a map" approach, where they know the main places they want to go with the plot but get there via discovery writing. I couldn't find the exact video I watched, but there are some listed here: http://www.writeaboutdragons.com/brandon_w2012/
        I like that idea. I'll have to watch the video... eventually...

Quit coming up with more things for me to do!!!
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
          For any of you that write fiction, how do you plan out your story? Whether it's a short story or a novel. Do you outline, wing it, or something else? If you outline, is there any particular method you follow?

I've got some ideas for my own writing, but planning is something of a hangup. I'm curious if any of you have any ideas on it.
          Always outline. Know where you're going, and stick with a structure. I have a story I'm waiting to write until I get a laptop again, I had an idea for a setting then I created a character with attributes. I gave him a role and a background and figured out what his end would be. I knew there was meat inbetween the start and end that had to be filled out, but the real story doesn't end with him, I created two more characters to demonstrate a coming of age story and perhaps romance and figured out how to tie them into the original characters story as the meat. Book 1 is structured in 5 acts each with their own conflicts (because conflict drives everything in fiction, action, drama and comedy) with act 5 wrapping up an over arching issue.

The two other characters will appear in acts 1 and 3 respectively one minorly, the other as support.

I'm trying to be vague because the details don't matter for telling you my process, but I still am using an example to demonstrate.
          Last edited by Pentecost; 01-13-2015, 07:09 PM.
          Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X