Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Fun moderate reading level books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun moderate reading level books?

My boys have been brought up bilingually, and their English reading level is not really good enough for their age, since Czech (being a phonetic language) is much easier for them to read than English. I have quite a few good books for them to read when their reading level gets a lot higher, but I'm looking for somethign to get them enthusiastic about reading in English. Something fun, not too taxing in terms of reading level and with positive themes. Calvin and Hobbes was the first thing that came to mind, does anyone have any other suggestions?
    --------------------------------------------------------

Nakonec pravda vitezi (In the end the truth wins)

Nobility Among Us and Beyond the Mist are now on sale worldwide, as is my first poetry collection, Selected Verse - Faith and Family and my second, Selected Verse - Heroes and Wonders

Explore the Cinematic Superverse

A Hope That Burns

How old are your kids? What's their current reading level in English? The Chronicles of Narnia are pretty easy for kids to read, but with a deeper meaning that can be explored for the rest of their lives.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Yeah, they've read those already. 12, 11, 8, 3 and 10 months (I'm not so concerned about the last two for now :-) ). Something around the Narnia level of difficulty would be fine (maybe even a little higher to stretch them a little), but as long as its fun and a healthy read.
      Last edited by Ben Zwycky; 10-29-2014, 07:35 AM.

Nobility Among Us and Beyond the Mist are now on sale worldwide, as is my first poetry collection, Selected Verse - Faith and Family and my second, Selected Verse - Heroes and Wonders

A Hope That Burns

Comment

First thing that came to mind when I read the thread title was On the Apostolic Preaching by Irenaeus of Lyons. That's probably not what you're looking for. Seriously, though, it's a good read, and not too challenging.

Have they read The Hobbit yet? Terry Brooks' Magic Kingdom for Sale - Sold! series should be good. Robert Heinlein's juveniles would be good.

ETA: Oh, and maybe G. K. Chesterton's Father Brown mysteries.
        Last edited by One Bad Pig; 10-29-2014, 09:47 AM.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Greek mythology, though it isn't always positive.

Comment

Okay, maybe I should have said something a little lower level, it's more to get them over their inhibition of reading English books, which they sometimes complain about as being 'too hard'. I'll be sure to pick up some Father Brown (I saw the complete Father brown collection for only 2 quid on amazon), that'll be something they'll definitely enjoy once their reading level is upped a little, his vocabulary will be a bit too intimidating for them right now.

A Hope That Burns

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Zwycky View Post
              Okay, maybe I should have said something a little lower level, it's more to get them over their inhibition of reading English books, which they sometimes complain about as being 'too hard'. I'll be sure to pick up some Father Brown (I saw the complete Father brown collection for only 2 quid on amazon), that'll be something they'll definitely enjoy once their reading level is upped a little, his vocabulary will be a bit too intimidating for them right now.
              Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising sequence might be good. I also liked Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain, but the Welsh names might trip them up. And again, Robert Heinlein's juveniles should be fine. They were easy reading for me in intermediate school (though, granted, I was reading rather above grade level). I don't think I got to Terry Brooks' Magic Kingdom books until high school, but they were really light reading for me compared to what I was normally reading then.
              Last edited by One Bad Pig; 10-29-2014, 11:18 AM.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising sequence might be good. I also liked Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain, but the Welsh names might trip them up. And again, Robert Heinlein's juveniles should be fine. They were easy reading for me in intermediate school (though, granted, I was reading rather above grade level). I don't think I got to Terry Brooks' Magic Kingdom books until high school, but they were really light reading for me compared to what I was normally reading then.
                Okay, I'll take a look, thanks.

A Hope That Burns

Comment

CS Lewis' Space trilogy is written for an older audience. If any of your kids like science fiction, these would be good:

Out of the Silent Planet
                  Perelandra
                  That Hideous Strength

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                    CS Lewis' Space trilogy is written for an older audience. If any of your kids like science fiction, these would be good:

Out of the Silent Planet
                    Perelandra
                    That Hideous Strength
                    I found those really tough going, for some reason.

sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't recommend the Space Trilogy for kids. I tried Out of the Silent Planet when I was maybe 10 or 11, and it was a weird experience. Didn't read it again until I was in my 20s, I think.
                      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

The older lad is nearly ready for Terry Pratchett's Discworld. And the younger older ones ones should be good for his Carpet People and the Bromilliad series (and Maybe the Johnny series...but read it first)
                        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

I found those really tough going, for some reason.
                          Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                          I wouldn't recommend the Space Trilogy for kids. I tried Out of the Silent Planet when I was maybe 10 or 11, and it was a weird experience. Didn't read it again until I was in my 20s, I think.
                          I really liked science fiction as a kid so that may make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                            I really liked science fiction as a kid so that may make a difference.
                            So did I. I read a lot of Isaac Asimov and Robert Heinlein and Andre Norton growing up, as well as a few anthologies of 50's/60's SF.

sigpic

Comment

So did I. I read a lot of Isaac Asimov and Robert Heinlein and Andre Norton growing up, as well as a few anthologies of 50's/60's SF.
                              Arthur C. Clarke was my favorite, then a huge collection edited by Asimov of very short stories ruined the longer works for me. The essence of the idea, distilled into the minimally publishable unit. This was taken to the extreme by Kurt Vonnegut's thumbnail sketches of the works of Kilgore Trout, each encapsulated into a small paragraph with a mind blowing idea. From there it was a natural progression to Voltaire in high school and the Colloquies of Erasmus in college. But I digress.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X