Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

A Scholar and a Gentleman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Machinist View Post
    I'm just saying that it was a strange upbringing. The church I grew up in had illiterate folk. I'm telling you, there were feral human kids that was in our church. Lots of really bad stuff happened in this church throughout the years. Have you ever seen that movie Deliverance? Thems probably my kin folk. People that went to this church, i'm telling you, couldn't read or write or do math, but they could play banjos.
    You're church was in a Walmart?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      It was a small country church in rural North GA. The church is still in operation today. My dad still attends, and is a deacon there. It's a quaint church that sits on a hilltop. We had a pastor there when I was young named Wayne Williams. He would always joke " I'm not that Wayne Williams!".

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post

It was a small country church in rural North GA. The church is still in operation today. My dad still attends, and is a deacon there. It's a quaint church that sits on a hilltop. We had a pastor there when I was young named Wayne Williams. He would always joke " I'm not that Wayne Williams!".
        Non-Georgians under a certain age will never get that reference.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Back in the mid-'80s, I attended a little Full Gospel church that met in a nice little storage facility with an open bit of floor space well-suited for a bunch of folding chairs. It was, somehow, a local (Western PA) storage facility owned by R.W. Schambach. Shortly before I began attending, the church moved to that facility after meeting for a time in the nearby fire hall. A few months after that, we moved to a "real" church.

Years later, I attended a Calvary Chapel church that met in a storefront on the main street of town.
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

One pastor we had also had a bunch of foster kids. He was also convicted at one point in his life of child molestation. I remember the particular Sunday morning when we was explaining his innocence to the congregation.

Years later, his oldest son murdered his wife and two twin boys with a knife, then put a gun to his head and shot himself.

There is very dark and morose thread that runs through this church's history.

If ever there was a physical location that was under an evil spirit, then this place was it.

Comment

Non-Georgians under a certain age will never get that reference.
              No, probably not. The name was fitting in the story though.

For those who don't know: Wayne Williams was the killer in the Atlanta child murders in the 70's. He is still alive in prison today, and still maintains his innocence.

That we had a pastor with this name is ironic. I do remember him though as being very kind and sincere. The pastor...not the killer. (just to be clear there!)

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X