Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

His Desire - dedicated to my aging father

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• His Desire - dedicated to my aging father

I’d like to honor my wonderful 91-year old father by entering his absolute favorite poem from the 17th century written by Robert Herrick. My father loves classical music, and used to spend many hours in his basement “man cave” caring for and listening to his vast record collection. If we kids behaved ourselves, we were each encouraged to join him and listen to pieces he would select for our enjoyment and listening pleasure.

One of his record albums was of old lute music. On the back of the jacket was a poem written in old Gothic font, with a drawing of a cittern - a kind of lute instrument played with a quill as a plectrum. My father so loved that poem that he once asked me, his then 14-year old daughter, to make a large pen and ink drawing replicating that same poem and the cittern instrument to decorate his basement room’s wall.

For me, this poem by Robert Herrick encapsulates my father’s soul - his courage and his undaunted optimism in the face of a world that battles to crush our hopes and expectations. His life example as a staunch, faithful man of God and this, his life’s poem, have infused something of their spirit into me as well; a priceless gift in this troubled generation, for which I thank God on my knees.

I love you, Dad.

”Give me a man that is not dull,
    When all the world with rifts is full;
    But unamaz’d dares clearly sing,
    Whenas the roof’s atottering;
    And though it falls, continues still,
    Tickling the cittern with his quill.”

His Desire - by Robert Herrick

Your Dad sounds like a truly dear man of God. I also love the painting you have as an avatar very much.

Comment

Thank you Esther, yes, he is that and more besides. He and my mom did their godly best to give us all a "goodly heritage" of strong Christian values. The Fragonard painting is one that I immediately became fascinated with on a high school senior class trip to Washington DC's art museum. It seemed to portray all that was lovely, feminine, and intelligent for womankind that I could wish to emulate.

Comment

Wow, I appreciate the educational culture you were raised in.

Comment

Hi machinist,

The price my dad paid for that private school “educational culture” for 4 kids was a thousand newspapers slung out of a car window every morning and every afternoon for many years. Plus Duke sandwich delivery as a second job. I have the fullest respect for manual labor jobs, trust me!

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Resurrections View Post
            Hi machinist,

The price my dad paid for that private school “educational culture” for 4 kids was a thousand newspapers slung out of a car window every morning and every afternoon for many years. Plus Duke sandwich delivery as a second job. I have the fullest respect for manual labor jobs, trust me!

Comment

My 91-year-old father finally passed into glory this past July 4th at 10:15 in the evening. Forever after this, fireworks displays on that evening will always celebrate for me the anniversary of my father's arrival in heaven. In the very last couple of hours before he died of cancer, I played for him three of the most precious songs about heaven that I could find. My 91-year-old mother with Alzheimers was able to sing every word along with one of those songs, even though her memory lasts only 5-10 minutes these days. "That Will Be Glory", "Sing to Me of Heaven", and "When I Go Home", all sung by Acapeldridge in his own perfect 4-part harmony. My parents were two days away from celebrating their 64th wedding anniversary together, but God had better plans.

"Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints."

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Resurrections View Post
                My 91-year-old father finally passed into glory this past July 4th at 10:15 in the evening. Forever after this, fireworks displays on that evening will always celebrate for me the anniversary of my father's arrival in heaven. In the very last couple of hours before he died of cancer, I played for him three of the most precious songs about heaven that I could find. My 91-year-old mother with Alzheimers was able to sing every word along with one of those songs, even though her memory lasts only 5-10 minutes these days. "That Will Be Glory", "Sing to Me of Heaven", and "When I Go Home", all sung by Acapeldridge in his own perfect 4-part harmony. My parents were two days away from celebrating their 64th wedding anniversary together, but God had better plans.

"Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints."
                What a beautiful Godly dedication to your father. We look forward to reunion Day.

Comment

Yes, thank God for that, Esther! Our family reunions on earth will pale by comparison.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X