Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What art thou currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got Rod Dreher's Live Not By Lies. It's been on my want to read list for a while and a certain book catalog just listed it at 40% off.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

• I’ve just taken delivery of; How to Make an Apple Pie from Scratch: In Search of the Recipe for Our Universe by Harry Cliff

The title comes from a quote by Carl Sagan;
      “If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.”

If this is a subject you might be interested in, in conjunction with the book, Harry Cliff did a lecture at the Royal Institution. If you have an hour (57 minutes) to spare some time, it’ is, IMHO, worth a watch.

When inventing a god, it is imperative to claim that it's; invisible, inaudible and imperceptible in every way. Otherwise - when it appears to no one, is silent and does nothing - intelligent people are liable to become sceptical.
      - Anonymous

When asked why Omniscient and Omnipotent God, chose to burn alive the children of two Middle Eastern cities, came the reply;
      “His hands were tied.” - DaveTheApologist

Comment

• Finally came in to the library via ILL:
        Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        The Bones of Berdichev: The Life and Fate of Vasily Grossman by John and Carol Garrard
        Also reading:
        Regenesis by C. J. Cherryh
        Downbelow Station by C. J. Cherryh
        The One and the Three: Nature, Person and Triadic Monarchy in the Greek and Irish Patristic Tradition by Chrysostom Koutloumousianos

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
          Just got Rod Dreher's Live Not By Lies. It's been on my want to read list for a while and a certain book catalog just listed it at 40% off.
          Been having trouble finding time to read this. When I do, I've found it informative. I find it's giving me a framework for understanding things I've been thinking but unable to assemble into a coherent picture.
          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

• For Us, the Living by Robert A. Heinlein
            A brave and cunning prince : the great chief Opechancanough and the war for America by James Horn
            Octavia Gone by Jack McDevitt
            An Introduction to God: Encountering the Divine in Orthodox Christianity by Andrew Stephen Damick
            The Fall of Arthur by JRR Tolkien
            The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún by JRR Tolkien
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              An Introduction to God: Encountering the Divine in Orthodox Christianity by Andrew Stephen Damick
              I bought this one recently. I haven't started it yet, it's next on my reading list after Thirsting For God in a Land of Shallow Wells by Matthew Gallatin, which I haven't started on yet either because I'm reading a library book that's due soon.

The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún by JRR Tolkien
              Do you listen to Fr. Andrew Stephen Damick's podcast(s), by any chance? I have been meaning to get this book too, after hearing him talk about it.
              Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

• Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                I bought this one recently. I haven't started it yet, it's next on my reading list after Thirsting For God in a Land of Shallow Wells by Matthew Gallatin, which I haven't started on yet either because I'm reading a library book that's due soon.

Do you listen to Fr. Andrew Stephen Damick's podcast(s), by any chance? I have been meaning to get this book too, after hearing him talk about it.
                I don't (yet), but I keep intending to check them out. He was the speaker at a Lenten retreat I attended this year. His recommending it to me was the impetus for reading it, but it's been on my shelf for a couple years waiting.

sigpic

Comment

• Finished reading:
                  Irreducible Mind by Edward Kelly, ed.
                  The Orthodox Church by Kallistos Ware
                  The Lost World by Michael Crichton

Currently reading:
                  Beyond Physicalism by Edward Kelly, ed.
                  My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

• Fool's Talk by Os Guinness
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• The Complete Short Novels of Anton Chekov
                      Man and Woman He Created Them: A Theology of the Body by Pope John Paul II
                      The Spinner Prince by Matt Laney
                      Voyage of the Dogs by Greg van Eehkout
                      Created Equal: How the Bible Broke with Ancient Political Thought by Joshua Bergman

sigpic

Comment

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - five chapters and Epilogue to go.
                        Wittgenstein, On Certainty
                        Calvinism: Five Points and Two Views
                        Out of the Silent Planet
                        Last edited by Rushing Jaws; 06-10-2022, 02:11 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                          Just got Rod Dreher's Live Not By Lies. It's been on my want to read list for a while and a certain book catalog just listed it at 40% off.
                          Finally finished reading this. Dreher attempts to show how the society of Eastern Europe circa 1950 to fall of Berlin Wall is being recreated in the west. His main point being how Christians are going to be increasingly out of favor with the ruling elite and find themselves under persecution. He advocates Christians need to prepare now for the persecution that is coming. I find some of his examples are a stretch, but others are looking closer. I'm not sure he made his case but on the other hand, I can't show he's totally wrong either. You'll have to read it for yourself and make your own conclusion.

Where I agree with him pretty completely is how feeble the western Christian church is compared to the underground Christian church in Eastern Europe. It makes me wonder how one can build a strong church without persecution being present.

Definitely, the book is a keeper for me. Will probably reread someday.

Comment

• The Fairy Tail manga, I got a bunch of them real cheap. 20 volumes of just that one manga, and there were another 56 in the bundle.

Comment

• Had to pause on JP II's work to focus on library stuff.

The Early Textual Transmission of John: Stability and Fluidity in Its Second and Third Century Greek Manuscripts by Lonnie D. Bell - in summary, the text was incredibly stable in that period. So much for the "incredibly fluid" argument from silence.

Churchill: Walking with Destiny by Andrew Roberts - hope I can finish it before the library wants it back.
                              Year of the Orphan by Daniel Findlay - pretty good apocalyptic novel
                              Tacitus: the Histories

Got a whole bunch of free kindle books. I'm expecting them to be rather uneven in quality, but the price was right......
                              Exodus by Andreas Christensen - not so good apocalyptic novel
                              Backyard Starship by J. N. Chaney
                              Boundary by Eric Flint and Ryk E. Spoor

sigpic

Comment

• I picked up an Audible Subscription a little while ago, and I've been listening to it whenever I have some free time (or when I feel like it at The Gym).

Currently Listening to The Lost World of Genesis One by John Walton. Just finished listening to The Pagan World by Hans-Friedrich Mueller.

I just started reading the Saint Tommy, NYPD series by Declan Finn via Kindle. Actually, I've been reading a lot of the Newpub crowd as of late whenever I need a hit of fiction (Adam Lane Smith's Deus Vult Wastelanders feels like the Doom 2016 Reboot went Catholic and is REALLY fun to read)
                                Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X