Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What art thou currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Nero-Antichrist: Founding and Fashioning a Paradigm
    (Classics after Antiquity)
    by Shushma Malik

Here's a review:

The author shows that the Nero-antichrist paradigm is better understood as the product of late antiquity rather than the first century. The so-called Neronian references in the bible do not easily fit the emperor. Late antiquity and the nineteenth-century were the periods in which the Nero-Antichrist paradigm was most influential. The nature of the paradigm was set in late antiquity and did not change in the intervening period. Malik covers Nero from ancient history to modern books and film.
    The Capitol Insurrection And Religion

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...t_bibl_vppi_i0

Comment

• Just finished Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman.
      "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
      -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Atonement and the Death of Christ by William Lane Craig
        My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

• The Loom of Language by Frederick Bodmer

This is supposed to help the independent study of language.

So far it has been interesting to see how the various languages and alphabets are connected within many societies and ages.

He provides some shortcuts but also seems to point to different paths of study depending whether you want to just read, just speak or also write.

Another point he makes is that it can be efficient to learn multiple related languages at the same time.

Comment

• Counterfeit Christs: A Look Into the False Ideologies of Modern Christianity-Trent Horn.

Comment

• The View From the Center of the Universe: Discovering Our Extraordinary Place in the Cosmos by Joel R. Primack and Nancy Ellen Abrams
              The Devil and Pierre Gernet by David Bentley Hart
              Jamestown the Truth Revealed by William M. Kelso
              The Search for the Origins of Christian Worship: Sources and Methods for the Study of Early Liturgy (2nd Ed) by Paul F. Bradshaw
              The Day Christ Was Born and The Day Christ Died by Jim Bishop (omnibus edition)
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                David Bentley Hart
                I saw today he finally apologized to Ed Feser. Good on him.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Wesley Hill, Paul and the Trinity
                  This book argues for the relational aspect of the Godhead as a way of understanding Paul's writings better. The recent trend has been to examine Paul's writings in terms of high and low christology.

Comment

• Rewriting Maya Religion: Domingo de Vico, K’iche’ Maya Intellectuals, and the Theologia Indorum

By Garry Sparks

Intriguing book that about the first interactions between Maya Religion believers and Hispanic Catholicism. There was a lot of violent crossing of steel and obsidian, but it also turns out there was a good degree of dialectical dialogue between both creeds in the beginning, and a great insight of what Maya Religion and Spanish Christianity was, and to a certain degree, still is.
                    Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
                    As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

• Currently re-reading The Sword of Shannara for the umpteenth time. This is an annotated Kindle edition.
                      Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx

Comment

• I am reading Atonement and the Death of Christ by William Lane Craig. Good book so far.

Comment

• Christian Apologetics: A Comprehensive Case for Biblical Faith- Douglas Groothuis.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rational Gaze View Post
                            I am reading Atonement and the Death of Christ by William Lane Craig. Good book so far.
                            Given that Craig is a Molinist I am glad he defends the Penal view of substitution as opposed to the other theories.

Comment

• Abraham Kuyper’s “Common Grace”. And after that, I hope to read his “Pro Rege”.

Comment

• Finished:
                                The Nature of Nature by Bruce L. Gordon, ed.
                                Hard Questions, Real Answers by William Lane Craig
                                People of the Lie by M. Scott Peck
                                Telling Yourself the Truth by William Backus and Marie Chapian
                                Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
                                Atonement and the Death of Christ by William Lane Craig
                                It by Stephen King
                                Glimpses of the Devil by M. Scott Peck

Currently reading:
                                The Princess Bride by William Goldman
                                What's Good About Feeling Bad? by Gary Habermas

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X