Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What art thou currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm re-reading Dune, since it's been about 15 years since I read it. I think I'm going to try the whole six-book series, too.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Little Russian Philokalia: St. Theodore of Sanaxar (Volume V)
      Golden Mouth: The Story of John Chrysostom - Ascetic, Preacher, Bishop by J.N.D. Kelly
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        I'm re-reading Dune, since it's been about 15 years since I read it. I think I'm going to try the whole six-book series, too.
        The last couple were written by his son from the outline his father developed for a whole bunch of new books -- and it shows.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          The last couple were written by his son from the outline his father developed for a whole bunch of new books -- and it shows.
          Yeah, I read a couple which his son wrote. They're strongly flavored of fanfic.

Then again, the last couple Frank wrote were off-puttingly bizarre themselves.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Yeah, I read a couple which his son wrote. They're strongly flavored of fanfic.

Then again, the last couple Frank wrote were off-puttingly bizarre themselves.
            To me it was pretty obvious that what was intended to be three maybe four books would get shoehorned into a single book. That said they were still a good read.

As for what Frank wrote himself I didn't notice any real change.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• I knew that his son and Kevin J Anderson wrote a bunch between them, but it was my understanding that Frank wrote the 6-book main series. I've heard the quality is a little uneven on those, but that's what I'd expect given just how good the first one is.

Nothing against the son or Anderson, but I have no plans to read their Dune novels any time soon.
              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• The Jewish Targums and John’s Logos Theology by John Ronning
                Quotiescumque: Greek Origin of a Latin Confessor’s Guide by Frans van de Paverd
                Little Russian Philokalia Vol. IV: St. Paisius Velichkovsky

sigpic

Comment

• Duesing, Jason G., ed. Adoniram Judson: A Bicentennial Appreciation of the Pioneer American Missionary.

Comment

• Chasing the Moon: The People, the Politics, and the Promise that Launched America into the Space Age by Robert Stone
                    Cryptic by Jack McDevitt
                    Moonfall by Jack McDevitt
                    The World of Bede by Peter Hunter Blair
                    Ball of Collusion: the Plot to Rig an Election and Destroy a Presidency by Andrew McCarthy - very interesting, and not written by a Trump fan-boi.

sigpic

Comment

• I'm reading, Reading Revelation in Context: John's Apocalypse and Second Temple Judaism by
                      Zondervan, (Author), Ben C. Blackwell (Editor), John K. Goodrich (Editor), Jason Maston (Editor), Loren T. Stuckenbruck (Foreword)
                      The book brings together short, accessible essays that compare and contrast the visions and apocalyptic imagery of the book of Revelation with various texts from Second Temple Jewish literature.

If anyone is interested in this sort of thing, my book Dark Sayings Of The Apocalypse is available for free download until 2/18.
                      The Capitol Insurrection And Religion

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...t_bibl_vppi_i0

Comment

• Warrior of the Altii by Robert Jordan
                        Justice on Trial: The Kavanaugh Confirmation and the Future of the Supreme Court by Mollie Hemingway and Carrie Severino
                        Way of the Ascetics: The Ancient Tradition of Discipline and Inner Growth by Tito Colliander
                        Thirty Steps to Heaven: The Ladder of Divine Ascent for All Walks of Life by Vassilios Papavassiliou
                        St. Symeon the New Theologian and Orthodox Tradition by Hilarion Alfeyev
                        Moral Transformation: The Original Christian Paradigm of Salvation by A. J. Wallace and R. D. Rusk

sigpic

Comment

• Has anyone read, "Freedom to choose" by Ernest J Gruen? Nearly finished reading.

Comment

• In the Aftermath: Provocations and Laments by David Bentley Hart
                            The book of Psalms, in as many translations as came quickly to hand.

sigpic

Comment

• Esoteric Hollywood: Sex, Cults and Symbols-Jay Dyer. It is an interesting read in showing how the films we watch push a certain worldview. Though some of the book is conspiracy laden it is a fascinating read. It is similar to Brian Godawa's work.

Comment

• Morgan's Run by Colleen McCullough
                                Europe: A History by Norman Davies

sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X