Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What art thou currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aside from school reading which is Christine de Pisan's Book of the City of Ladies, I read one comic book and one prose book a day.

I'm going through Bone by Jeff Smith and One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

A neat video of dead languages!

Comment

• The Praktikos and Chapters on Prayer by Evagrius Ponticus (trans. John Bamberger)
      Asceticism and Anthropology in Irenaeus and Clement by John Behr
      The Game Beyond and Dreamships by Melissa Scott
      Sanctuary: An Epic Novel of Thieves' World by Lynn Abbey
      FDR's Folly: How Roosevelt and His New Deal Prolonged the Great Depression by Jim Powell
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
        Paradise Lost

I wish I had the ability to do five books at a time like you mutants, but if I do that I get overwhelmed
        O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Hebrew Bible/Old Testament - The History of Its Interpretation Volume I: From the Beginnings to the Middle Ages (Until 1300) Part 1: Antiquity ed. Magne Sæbø
          The Secret History by Donna Tartt
          Revolutionary Russia, 1891-1991: A History by Orlando Figes
          Gai-Jin by James Clavell
          The Ecclesiastical History of Evagrius Scholasticus translated by Michael Whitby
          The Orthodox Church in America and other writings by St. Alexis Toth
          Introducing Eastern Orthodox Theology by Andrew Louth
          Gregory of Nyssa, Homilies on Ecclesiastes ed. Stuart G. Hall
          Did you know Figes writes sockpuppet Amazon reviews of his own books? My teacher wouldn't let me cite him when I did my senior paper on the Kornilov Affair.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelp(p) View Post
            Did you know Figes writes sockpuppet Amazon reviews of his own books? My teacher wouldn't let me cite him when I did my senior paper on the Kornilov Affair.
            No, I didn't. Good to know, though. It was a 'new book' at the library, and looked interesting.

Now reading:
            Clement of Alexandria and the Beginnings of Christian Apophaticism by Henny Fiska Hagg (which, it turns out, is online - pancreasman would probably like this)
            The Prince of Shadow by Curt Benjamin (and its sequels, Prince of Dreams and The Gates of Heaven
            The Key of Truth, a Manual of the Paulician Church of Armenia by F. C. Conybeare (who was evidently an ardent Adoptionist)
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Two Old Women by Velma Wallis

It's a retelling of an old Athabascan legend.

Comment

• Lukan Authorship of Hebrews by David L. Allen
                The Delinquent Teenager Who Was Mistaken for the World's Top Climate Expert - IPCC Exposé by Donna Laframboise
                Digging for Richard III - The Search for the Lost King by Mike Pitts
                The Dead Sea Scrolls - A Biography by John J. Collins
                The Father Christmas Letters by J.R.R. Tolkien
                In the Kingdom of Ice - The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeanette by Hampton Sides
                The Fatherhood of God from Origen to Athanasius (Revised Edition) by Peter Widdicombe

sigpic

Comment

• How is the Richard III book?

The Moviegoer by Walker Percy

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelp(p) View Post
                    How is the Richard III book?
                    It's decent. It's an interesting look at Richard III, and gives some insight on the difficulties and procedures of an archaeological dig. It's also a highly unusual dig. Literally the first interesting thing they stumbled across was Richard III's skeleton.

sigpic

Comment

• Glenn Hinson - The Early Church
                      Craig Keener - Miracles (Volume 1)
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Holy Qur'an with English Translation and Commentary by Maulana Muhammad Ali (his translation and commentary, that is)
                        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Lukan Authorship of Hebrews by David L. Allen
                          The Delinquent Teenager Who Was Mistaken for the World's Top Climate Expert - IPCC Exposé by Donna Laframboise
                          Digging for Richard III - The Search for the Lost King by Mike Pitts
                          The Dead Sea Scrolls - A Biography by John J. Collins
                          The Father Christmas Letters by J.R.R. Tolkien
                          In the Kingdom of Ice - The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeanette by Hampton Sides
                          The Fatherhood of God from Origen to Athanasius (Revised Edition) by Peter Widdicombe
                          Forgot to add:

The Icarus Syndrome: A History of American Hubris by Peter Beinart (which was written a decade too soon, given our current sitting president)
                          The Triumph of Christianity by Rodney Stark

sigpic

Comment

• Early Irish Myths and Legends Jeffery Gantz
                            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• My Hilarious Life - Tim Conway...
                              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• TExES 191 Generalist EC-6 Preparation Guide.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X