Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What art thou currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, I also got the Watchmen graphic novel, which I'm also reading.
    My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

• Currently reading Paul and his Recent Interpreters by NT Wright

The earlier chapters are useful to see the context which the various generations of scholars had been working within when they were commenting on Paul and his letters.

Comment

• Drinking With Calvin & Luther!: A History of Alcohol in the Church by Jim West
        Gregory of Nyssa: The Letters ed. Anna M. Silvas Gregory of Nyssa: Contra Eunomium II ed. Lenka Karfikova and Scot Douglass (ILL sent me the wrong book )
        Hard Lessons: the Iraq Reconstruction Experience by Stuart W. Bowen, Jr.
        Western Civilization: The Decline of Rome to the Present by Francis Tschan, et al. (or, rather, 7 decades ago, since it was published in 1947)
        Last edited by One Bad Pig; 08-09-2016, 07:23 PM.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• The Two Towers - AKA TLOTR vol.2
          The Eye of the World - AKA WOT vol.1 - Robert Jordan
          Harry Potter a l'ecole des sorciers
          Harry Potter e la camera dei segreti
          Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal
          The new translation of the 1541 edition of the Institutes (Banner of Truth publishers)
          The Worm Ouroboros - E. R. Eddison
          The Regional Diversification of Latin 200 BC to AD 600 - J. N. Adams
          Inerrancy - Norman L. Geisler (ed.)
          Out of the Silent Planet - C. S. Lewis
          The End Times in Chronological Order - Ron Rhodes
          Heroes in the Wind: from Kull to Conan - Robert E. Howard
          The Greek and Roman Critics - G. M. A. Grube
          Amoris Laetitia - Pope Francis
          The Pauline Eschatology - Geerhardus Vos
          Superman Doomed - Greg Pak, Charles Soule, Scott Lobdell, Tony S. Daniel, Aaron Kuder, Ken Lashley

I look forward to:
          reading Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
          re-reading Arnobius of Sicca's Against the Pagans, which is a fun read in itself.
          Last edited by Rushing Jaws; 08-09-2016, 05:02 PM.

Comment

• I'm reading The Crook in the Lot by Thomas Boston.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• I've just finished reading the graphic novel V For Vendetta. Much like Watchmen, there are some differences between the print and movie versions. I'm currently reading Putting Jesus in His Place: The Case for the Deity of Christ by Robert M. Bowman and J. Ed Komoszewski, and Overcoming Anxiety by Mo Mydlo. I've also finished reading the SAAS translation of the Old Testament (including Deuterocanon) and am reading the NKJV New Testament at the moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rational Gaze View Post
                I've also finished reading the SAAS translation of the Old Testament (including Deuterocanon) and am reading the NKJV New Testament at the moment.
                I don't much care for the SAAS translation of the Psalms.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  I don't much care for the SAAS translation of the Psalms.
                  I've got the Orthodox Study Bible. Interestingly enough, the public library down the road from me has one too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rational Gaze View Post
                    I've got the Orthodox Study Bible. Interestingly enough, the public library down the road from me has one too.
                    Interesting.

sigpic

Comment

• After I finish The Crook in the Lot, I'm planning to read The Existence and Attributes of God by Stephen Charnock. I'm expecting that one to take me a while.
                      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Dune by Frank Herbert.

Comment

• Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert
                          Jam by Yahtzee Croshaw
                          Children of Dune by Frank Herbert
                          Putting Jesus in His Place by Robert M. Bowman Jr. and J. Ed Komoszewski
                          Last edited by Rational Gaze; 10-22-2016, 10:35 PM.

Comment

• Sailing from Byzantium by Colin Wells
                            We Came, We Saw, We Converted: The Lighter Side of Orthodoxy in America by Fr. Joseph Huneycutt
                            Nicene/Post-Nicene Fathers Series 2 Book 8 - Basil the Great: On the Holy Spirit, Hexaemeron, and Letters

sigpic

Comment

• Case for Christ and Screwtape letters. Also armor stuff, tweb post, and youtube comments.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                St. Silouan the Athonite by Archimandrite Sophrony
                                Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                Wounded by Love: The Life and the Wisdom of Elder Porphyrios ed. The Sisters of the Holy Convent of Chrysopigi
                                Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                Laurus by Eugene Vodolazkin
                                Hey, I read those three while I was gone. Have you read anything by St. Paisios of Mount Athos?

Going over all the books would be tedious, but some of this year's were:
                                • Political Church: The Local Assembly as Embassy of Christ's Rule by Jonathan Leeman
                                • Delivered from the Elements of the World: Atonement, Justification, Mission by Peter Leithart
                                • In the Shade of the Qur'an, Vol. 1 by Sayyid Qutb
                                • The Patient Ferment of the Early Church: The Improbable Rise of Christianity in the Roman Empire by Alan Kreider
                                • The Fractured Republic: Renewing America's Social Contract in the Age of Individualism by Yuval Levin
                                • Hillbilly Elegy by J. D. Vance
                                • Tree of Salvation: Yggdrasil and the Cross in the North by G. Roland Murphy
                                • The Complete Works of Liutprand of Cremona
                                • Islam and Revolution: Writings and Declarations of Imam Khomeini, trans. Hamid Algar
                                • Saint Gregory Palamas: The Homilies, trans. Christopher Veniamin
                                • The Shari'a and Islamic Criminal Justice in Time of War and Peace by M. Cherif Bassiouni
                                • Church, World, Mission: Reflections on Orthodoxy and the West by Alexander Schmemann
                                • The First Thanksgiving: What the Real Story Tells Us About Loving God and Learning from History by Robert Tracy McKenzie
                                • The Principles of State and Government in Islam by Muhammad Asad
                                • Hitler: Ascent, 1889-1939 by Volker Ullrich
                                • The Saint Who Would Be Santa Claus: The True Life and Trials of Nicholas of Myra by Adam C. English

Currently, I'm preaching through the Sermon on the Mount (should finish in two weeks), so until then I'm reading a few commentaries on it (e.g., Craig Keener, Scot McKnight, Charles Quarles, Daniel Doriani, etc.), plus a few other books so far:
                                • Paper Memory: A Sixteenth-Century Townsman Writes His World by Matthew Lundin
                                • Initiative to Stop the Violence: Sadat's Assassins and the Renunciation of Political Violence, translated with introduction by Sherman Jackson
                                • The Works of Jonathan Edwards, Vol. 10: Sermons and Discourses, 1720-1723
                                • Old Testament Narratives, from the Dumbarton Oaks Medieval Library
                                "The Jesus Christ who saves sinners is the same Christ who beckons his followers to serious use of their minds for serious explorations of the world." - Mark Noll

"It cannot be that the people should grow in grace unless they give themselves to reading." - John Wesley

"Wherever men are still theological, there is still some chance of their being logical." - G. K. Chesterton

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X