Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Hillsdale College free online courses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hillsdale College free online courses

Hiding during the pandemic I came across the Hillsdale College on line course, which were a helpful review and revisit the literature of the past and my school years in philosophy, history and literature.

More comments to follow . . .
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Continuing education is large part of my life regardless of the pandemic. My approach to Greek Philosophy is similar to my view of the scripture of different religions and history.

I consider the study and contemplation of Greek Philosophy from the following perspectives. (1) As Greek philosophy in the context of the culture and history of the time. In other words Greek philosophy as Greek Philosophy. (2) As comparative literature particularly in ancient literature, such as the influence on the Bible as literature. (4) From the traditional Christian perspective in the use of philosophy and logic, ie Hillsdale College perspective.. (5) Jewish perspective in the context of history and the more pragmatic contemporary Judaism, in the development of Midrash. (6) From the Islamic perspective similar to the Christian perspective. (7) From the perspective of the contemporary schools of philosophy.
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Hillsdale enjoys an outstanding reputation among conservatives, ranking as the #1 conservative college.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Hillsdale enjoys an outstanding reputation among conservatives, ranking as the #1 conservative college.
        I understand that, though I do not agree with their view of the Greek philosophers centering on Plato and Aristotle, but I do study all sides, and in general I find their courses very helpful in reviewing philosophy and history, and understanding of the conservative Christian perspective.

Frank

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X