Announcement

Collapse

Art Gallery Guidelines

This is where you can display your original art work get and give tips and tricks or discuss artworks by others. Things like art history,paintings, digital art, sketches, pottery and glass sculptures all that belongs here. You may include photographic art but this is not the place for the holiday snaps or cute baby pics they belong in the rec room or lobby.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Watercolours and more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Storm Warning View Post

Yeah, Vallejo is said to have picked up on Frazetta's style and made quite a career of it. Frazetta was born in 1928; Vallejo in 1941. HERE is a Google image page of Frazetta's work.

Not a water colour but a painting I find beautiful albeit in an unsettling way.

"It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Not a water colour but a painting I find beautiful albeit in an unsettling way.

That’s ok! It falls under the "and more" category!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

That’s ok! It falls under the "and more" category!

Landscape with Lanterns is not something I would necessarily want on my wall but it has an eerie quality that I find very appealing. Another equally unsettling painting [not by Paul Delvaux] but by Franz Sedlacek is this, Ghosts in a Tree. More Expressionism than Delvaux who was often considered to be more of a Surrealist.

"It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Landscape with Lanterns is not something I would necessarily want on my wall but it has an eerie quality that I find very appealing. Another equally unsettling painting [not by Paul Delvaux] but by Franz Sedlacek is this, Ghosts in a Tree. More Expressionism than Delvaux who was often considered to be more of a Surrealist.

I like this one.

Not the sort of thing I typically am drawn to and not something to hang on the wall, but an eerily interesting piece.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            I like this one.

Not the sort of thing I typically am drawn to and not something to hang on the wall, but an eerily interesting piece.
            Very much so. I love that backlit effect of the sky and that misty landscape stretching away

When we saw it in the Albertina in 2019 we jokingly observed, that's one we should have had in the nursery!

We bought a book on Sedlacek from the shop and I almost bought a print of the Delvaux but could not really think where I would hang it.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

In the "and more" category, I was looking through some Medieval illuminated manuscripts of which the following c. 1475 French example from a Book of Hours with a miniature of the Flight into Egypt being typical of the better quality work of the time

when I ran across something I hadn't seen in illuminated art -- and particularly of that size. It almost looks like an engraving by Albrecht Dürer, although well before his time.

It's from the Book of Hours owned by Jeanne d’Evreux (1310-1371), queen of France and last wife of Charles IV.

Just thought it was something different.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And then there is this. Kurt Jackson is a contemporary British artist who lives in Cornwall, UK. I visited his gallery some years ago when visiting a friend down there.

He has done several on the same theme and the ones in the gallery were about 5 x 4 metres so you felt as if you were walking into that landscape. He creates them layer by layer and includes sand and bits of shell amongst other things to give texture.

"It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment