Announcement

Collapse

Art Gallery Guidelines

This is where you can display your original art work get and give tips and tricks or discuss artworks by others. Things like art history,paintings, digital art, sketches, pottery and glass sculptures all that belongs here. You may include photographic art but this is not the place for the holiday snaps or cute baby pics they belong in the rec room or lobby.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Colorization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorization

Does anyone else here dabble with this? One of the apps I used in this process went belly-up on me so I haven't done any for a while, but I thought I'd post a few that I did earlier. Before-and-afters.

Star Trek.JPG

AnotherTheodore.JPG

Comment

One morecolorized.JPG

Comment

I've had some good success with my software...
        bernie b&w.jpgbernie.jpg
        When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
          bernie b&w.jpgbernie.jpg
          oh right. people were still mostly stuck with black and white photography in the 50s

Comment

how does the process work? Do you have to select a region -- like all flesh -- and then adjust the base color?

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
              how does the process work? Do you have to select a region -- like all flesh -- and then adjust the base color?
              I had a freeware HP photo app that was really pretty cool for the price. I would take a photo and turn the entire thing flesh tone, then draw a line around all the skin areas of the person(s), and it would snap into place. Keeping this photo as a transparency #1.

Then I would take the original B&W and do the same thing only turning the whole thing green, then draw a basic outline for the trees or grass, and again snap into place. Keeping this as transparency #2. And so on with more colors.

The only problem I had was my palette didn't hold a ton of different hues, and I would run out after about 5 or 6 shades. So something complicated with a lot of color was out of my league.

Comment

Another one. I didn't like the colors on Garfield's daughter. I had run low on color and tried to borrow some from another palette - and they came out too strong.

Garfield2.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                  bernie b&w.jpgbernie.jpg
                  Bernie was born in a log cabin, but he should be in "living color" by now!

Comment

More pop culture

Beatles.jpg

Comment

I colorized this photo of a blizzard

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2FScMdpe&f=1&nofb=1.jpg

I think it looks very realistic.

Comment

I didn't do these colorizations but I think they're done really well. They can sure bring the past into the present.

Lincoln1.jpg
                        Lincoln2.jpg

Comment

You'd think Lincoln would comb his hair before having a photograph taken.

Comment