Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

I am sorry

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am sorry

I went borderline insane a few weeks back. This video sums up what was going through my mind all the while:

This was compounded by a history of exchanges with an ex-friend since at least 2006 (he is athee) and numerous examples of FA crap on the internet. I've seen just about all of it:

"'Sky Daddy' this..."
    "'Bronze Age' that..."
    "Religious people are stupider than us!"
    "Atheism is on the rise! ON THE RISE! ON THE RISE!"

I began to notice that nobody in the media wanted to side with us. Every time you're online or turn on the TV, if a Christian is portrayed, it's always in a negative light.
    Our own people are drowned in the Mediterranean and forced from their ancient homes. Yet everyone is only concerned with gender-neutral bathrooms and such. When someone actually had the gumption to speak out, the athee accused them of being intellectually dishonest.

Eventually, it dawned on me: the athee are afraid of us; afraid of what would happen if the Church were to take action, because there are more of us than there are of them. They were able to exploit my people because we take "turn the other cheek" to mean "let them walk all over you". Thus, I created a variant of Liberation Theology: the best way to fight the athee, if all else fails, is through force of arms; stand up for your fellow believers and put down the Godless that mock you.

I just needed action. Change, as I saw it, would not come from above.

John 16:33 "I have said this to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."

It's just the skirmishes - the war is already won. Trust Him.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by DLAbaoaqu View Post
      I went borderline insane a few weeks back. This video sums up what was going through my mind all the while:

This was compounded by a history of exchanges with an ex-friend since at least 2006 (he is athee) and numerous examples of FA crap on the internet. I've seen just about all of it:

"'Sky Daddy' this..."
      "'Bronze Age' that..."
      "Religious people are stupider than us!"
      "Atheism is on the rise! ON THE RISE! ON THE RISE!"

I began to notice that nobody in the media wanted to side with us. Every time you're online or turn on the TV, if a Christian is portrayed, it's always in a negative light.
      Our own people are drowned in the Mediterranean and forced from their ancient homes. Yet everyone is only concerned with gender-neutral bathrooms and such. When someone actually had the gumption to speak out, the athee accused them of being intellectually dishonest.

Eventually, it dawned on me: the athee are afraid of us; afraid of what would happen if the Church were to take action, because there are more of us than there are of them. They were able to exploit my people because we take "turn the other cheek" to mean "let them walk all over you". Thus, I created a variant of Liberation Theology: the best way to fight the athee, if all else fails, is through force of arms; stand up for your fellow believers and put down the Godless that mock you.

I just needed action. Change, as I saw it, would not come from above.
      The atheists can't truly win. Everything they believe or more so don't believe in eventually leads to breakdown. They don't reproduce and so birth rates decline where secularism takes holds. Every society in the world that survives/survived is because they structure a set of rules for the benefit of their survival and in every one of them they have rules for marriage, family and reproduction.

The atheists as a group don't believe in these kind of rules or more specifically they don't believe in advocating society in general to follow these kinds of rules as a must. They believe more in individual autonomy rather than what's best for society.
      “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

John 16:33 "I have said this to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."

It's just the skirmishes - the war is already won. Trust Him.
        There's also this to keep in mind.

Ephesians 6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

The physical realm isn't where the real battle lies, but in the spiritual realm. It's still a fight, but a different kind, with different weapons. I remember one guy who complained about my use of the Bible as using scripture "hand grenades". I think he meant it as a way of mocking me, but I think it shows something different. He probably meant I was just lobbing things out, trying to see if anything would stick. That's not what I was doing. I was using the verses in context, and trying to show why they applied. If anything, I think it shows just how powerful those verses really are, especially when they hit the target.

ETA: @DLA, I'm glad you are doing better. You really shouldn't let anger and frustration get to that point. We all have our breaking points. You need to know where that is, and do everything you need to to not get there. Glad to see you back.
        Last edited by Cerebrum123; 05-08-2015, 08:00 AM.

Comment

According to the bible, Jesus doesn't come back until the world has turned against God and Christianity, so think of it this way, the worse things seem, the closer Jesus is.

Comment

Atheist's exist..?

Comment

If I may depart from all the encouragement and backslapping, and fully cognisant that I will be ripped apart by defenders, I must say I don't see much actual repentance here. He's blaming atheists for his outbursts advocating physical violence against people who disagree with his world view. There was a legitimate reason he was sanctioned and I don't see him actually repudiating those ideas.

This whole 'combat model' of dialogue between Christians and non-Christians I think is counterproductive to both. And really, it's only small potatoes and mostly just nerds on both sides who have too much time on their hands and enjoy yelling at people on the internet.

As has been pointed out already, your warfare is NOT against flesh and blood.

I believe this young man needs guidance and nurturing so that his passion may develop and mature.

You can start stoning me now.

Comment

Violently attacking people who are not physically harming you comes with a number of obvious problems:

- You will reinforce the negative portrayal and galvanize your opposition against you. In effect, you will make things worse.

- It's against the law. You will force the police to hunt you down and imprison you.

- It goes against Jesus' second commandment.

- The vast majority of Christians will not support you, and will instead condemn your actions, for all of the above reasons.

I advise working in your community to make Christians look good, in order to help counter the negative portrayals.
                Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

I went borderline insane a few weeks back.
                  You're not still borderline insane, judging by the fact that you're still on this website with the rest of us in this madhouse?

This was compounded by a history of exchanges with an ex-friend since at least 2006 (he is athee)
                  oh my goodness please stop the annoying faux-french terms you are going to drive me borderline insane

Stephen Colbert? NT Wright (Colbert had him as a guest at least once)? Pope Francis? Jim Gaffigan? The Tuohy family, as portrayed in "The Blind Side?" I think you're overstating things. Even famous fictional characters such as Ned Flanders, who due to being fictional can be used as the most extreme caricatures, are still clearly shown to ultimately be decent, noble people at the bottom of it all. Heck, even the (in)famously irreverent creators of South Park still portrayed quite a few religious people as good folks just doing their best to find meaning and provide positive value in people's lives.

Our own people are drowned in the Mediterranean and forced from their ancient homes. Yet everyone is only concerned with gender-neutral bathrooms and such.
                  ?

When someone actually had the gumption to speak out, the athee accused them of being intellectually dishonest.
                  ?

Sigh.

In Jesus' time, "the world" hated his disciples for spreading his radical message of love for ALL people, of being honest enough to recognize individual flaws and acknowledging personal imperfection and the need for a savior, of a God who would exalt the poor and meek while humbling the wealthy and powerful. Nowadays, the world is deeply annoyed with people who claim to be Jesus' disciples for denying well-established facts of science, breaking promises to sponsor needy children just because a humanitarian organization said it would hire gay people to help, turning a blind eye towards priests who manipulated and exploited young children. In the first century, Jesus said of his disciples "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." In the twenty-first century, observation would have you believe the verse actually said "By this everyone will know you are my disciples: if you align with conservative politics."

On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being "basically no threat to Christendom" and 10 being "all of Christendom is at stake," fundamentalist atheists who throw around terms like "sky daddy" and "bronze age goat herders" register at maybe a -2. You're picking your fights with the wrong group. In Jesus' time, the world was against Christianity because it couldn't bear the powerful and convicting message of Jesus. Nowadays, "the world" is against "Christianity" because of a widespread perception that the church has sorrowfully failed in fulfilling Jesus' message.

The key point here, of course, is that what the world perceives as Christianity isn't truly Christianity, but rather, a mere caricature of it. Your fight ought to be focused on showing the world just what Christianity truly is.
                  Last edited by fm93; 05-08-2015, 09:43 PM.
                  Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
                    - You will reinforce the negative portrayal and galvanize your opposition against you. In effect, you will make things worse.
                    Works fine for muslims, for the most part their countries have done an excellent job of resisting secular progressive rot. And in the West atheists act against Christians with greater zeal than they do against muslims precisely because the former don't fight.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

What about subjects like this: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...g-Our-Religion ?

How do you counter crap like this?

Comment

What about subjects like this: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...g-Our-Religion ?

How do you counter crap like this?
                        Since absolutely nobody is regarding it seriously, why should you?

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                          Since absolutely nobody is regarding it seriously, why should you?
                          Because my people are bleeding.

Comment

Because my people are bleeding.
                            As Adrift speculated in that thread, it's possible that the primary cause of the decline is actually from nominal Christians (who didn't actually know anything about Christianity and would be/were terrible witnesses) who became more aware of what they actually were. So it could be that nothing has really changed with the church; it's just that some people who weren't really in the church but culturally identified with it stopped culturally identifying with it.

But even if the possibility that I raised is the case--that the people who led to the decline were genuine Christians--why should you worry about "fundamentalist atheism," per se? As you and I (and several atheists themselves, from what I've seen) acknowledge, arguments from the FA leaders like Dawkins are terrible and blatantly flawed. I doubt that particularly many genuine Christians who were actually educated about their faith fell away on the basis of arguments from the FA crowd. Not only are they an extremely weak enemy, they also appear to be an insignificant enemy.
                            Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
                              Our own people are drowned in the Mediterranean and forced from their ancient homes. Yet everyone is only concerned with gender-neutral bathrooms and such.
                              ?
                              Refugees on a boat crossing the Mediterranean. The Muslims refugees murdered the dozen Christian refugees on board for being Christian, and not praying to Allah.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...terranean.html
                              http://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/16/eu...own-overboard/
                              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                              -Ben Witherington III

Comment