Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Myers-Briggs and atheism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myers-Briggs and atheism

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myer...Type_Indicator

MBTI and Atheism | www.godsurvey.org

You can see from the above chart that the four TP types (Thinking + Perceiving) appear near the top of both lists and that the four FJ types (Feeling + Judging) appear near the bottom. Therefore, the primary conclusion is that individuals with preferences for TP are more likely to be atheists than those with preferences for FJ.

An interesting note is that the reliability of the test is sometimes questioned because some studies have found that between 40% and 75% of those tested fall into different types upon retesting as little as 30 days to a year later. I have take the test at different times in my life, never with the same results.

Maybe some of those TP atheists will become more FJ when they come to know Christ as Savior!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Where is the second chart at the bottom of your post from? And what is the relevance?

Comment

I've heard it claimed that the Myers-Briggs was completely bunk. I did have to take the full version for seminary this semester, and I was surprised at the insights the full report gave me, especially for how to best communicate with others and be a group leader. So as long as you take it with a grain of salt, I think it's interesting...

By the way, I got ISTJ, but I appear to have resisted the siren call of atheism.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          An interesting note is that the reliability of the test is sometimes questioned because some studies have found that between 40% and 75% of those tested fall into different types upon retesting as little as 30 days to a year later. I have take the test at different times in my life, never with the same results.

Maybe some of those TP atheists will become more FJ when they come to know Christ as Savior!
          Yeah. This thing was really popular here on Theologyweb awhile back, but I always felt it was a bit silly. People do change. I've changed, and I've seen others change too. One of the things that concerned me about this test was that people were actually defining who they were, and what they were capable of, based on the test. "I can't talk to people because I'm INTJ" or "I can't be alone because I'm ESTP" or whatever. I control my mind, my mind doesn't control me. Romans 12:2 tells us to be transformed by the renewing of our mind. I don't think scripture would tell Christian to do that if it weren't possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            Yeah. This thing was really popular here on Theologyweb awhile back, but I always felt it was a bit silly. People do change. I've changed, and I've seen others change too. One of the things that concerned me about this test was that people were actually defining who they were, and what they were capable of, based on the test. "I can't talk to people because I'm INTJ" or "I can't be alone because I'm ESTP" or whatever. I control my mind, my mind doesn't control me. Romans 12:2 tells us to be transformed by the renewing of our mind. I don't think scripture would tell Christian to do that if it weren't possible.
            The way that my seminary professor taught us was that it doesn't measure strengths at all, but rather that it measures what we find most energizing... but that we can still operate in out of preference areas.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              The way that my seminary professor taught us was that it doesn't measure strengths at all, but rather that it measures what we find most energizing... but that we can still operate in out of preference areas.
              Yeah, I can definitely say that I'm a true introvert. There comes a point where being around people, as much as I love them, just kind of starts to exhaust me and I need to go crash in my room for a while.
              O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

A neat video of dead languages!

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                Maybe that's the problem for those who self-diagnose over the internet. They don't have the privilege of having a trained psychologist explain to them the limitations of the test, and what exactly it means for them. Most people I've come into contact who swear by it remind me of my friends who are into astrology. They'll tell me that when you really get into it, its undeniable how much seems to line up...

By the way, why are they teaching the Myers-Briggs test at a seminary? Is this for a psych class or something?

Comment

Yeah. The MB is really more for fun. And the OP chart seems to not have any statistical validity. The numbers are so small, it doesn't mean anything.
                  If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                    Maybe that's the problem for those who self-diagnose over the internet. They don't have the privilege of having a trained psychologist explain to them the limitations of the test, and what exactly it means for them. Most people I've come into contact who swear by it remind me of my friends who are into astrology. They'll tell me that when you really get into it, its undeniable how much seems to line up...

By the way, why are they teaching the Myers-Briggs test at a seminary? Is this for a psych class or something?
                    It's a class on Spiritual Formation. The whole concept of spiritual formation seemed a little nebulous to my concrete mind but I really have found the course to be useful, though I'm not sure the MBTI was the most useful part of the class.

Comment

I'm still INTJ and my other half is ENFP. I almost became agnostic, but that ended up not happening.
                      "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                      "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                      Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Yeah? Well I'm a son of God, an ambassador, and a joint heir with Christ, with power from on high!

Comment

Obviously change is supposed to happen in teenage years, but I first took the test in 6th grade and was determined to be an INTP, in 9th grade I was given the test in a class and I received INTJ. I became a Christian in 11th grade and was given the test in another class in 12 grade. I was then an ENTJ. Two years later (just now) I received ESFJ. Apparently one of the "classic" religious types (and I was almost scored ENFJ, the other most religious type). Every time I've taken it I've been able to say, "Yeah, that describes me." Just thought I'd share my experience with it.
                          Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
                            Obviously change is supposed to happen in teenage years, but I first took the test in 6th grade and was determined to be an INTP, in 9th grade I was given the test in a class and I received INTJ. I became a Christian in 11th grade and was given the test in another class in 12 grade. I was then an ENTJ. Two years later (just now) I received ESFJ. Apparently one of the "classic" religious types (and I was almost scored ENFJ, the other most religious type). Every time I've taken it I've been able to say, "Yeah, that describes me." Just thought I'd share my experience with it.
                            Your name makes me wonder how the disciples would have tested before and after the day of Pentecost.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
                              All of my friends besides me are all extremely extroverted compared to me.
                              Often they try to force me out of my shell,which I hate very much.
                              "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                              "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                              Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment