Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

The problem of eyewitness testimony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The problem of eyewitness testimony

Friends

The following reference is a good beginning on a dialogue concerning the problems of the reliability of eye witness testimony.

http://www.simplypsychology.org/eyew...testimony.html

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Well, better become a sophist then, as all information, ever, is gathered by eyewitness testimony.
    Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      go with the flow the river knows
      No thanks. I prefer thinking critically and rationally.
      My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

I think this is relevant.
        http://www.christianthinktank.com/loftus.html
        -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
        Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
        Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Also relevant:

Originally posted by G.K. Chesterton
          Suppose a man's throat has been cut, quite swiftly and suddenly, with a table knife, at a small table where we sit. The whole of civil law rests on the supposition that we are witnesses; that we saw it; and if we do not know about it, who does? Now suppose all the witnesses fall into a quarrel about degrees of eyesight. Suppose one says he had brought his reading-glasses instead of his usual glasses; and therefore did not see the man fall across the table and cover it with blood. Suppose another says he could not be certain it was blood, because a slight colour-blindness was hereditary in his family. Suppose a third says he cannot swear to the uplifted knife, because his oculist tells him he is astigmatic, and vertical lines do not affect him as do horizontal lines. Suppose another says that dots have often danced before his eyes in very fantastic combinations, many of which were very like one gentleman cutting another gentleman's throat at dinner. All these things refer to real experiences. There is such a thing as myopia, there is such a thing as colour-blindness; there is such a thing as astigmatism; there is such a thing as shifting shapes swimming before the eyes. But what should we think of a whole dinner party that could give nothing except these highly scientific explanations when found in company with a corpse? I imagine there are only two things we could think either that they were all drunk, or they were all murderers.

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Gaze View Post
            No thanks. I prefer thinking critically and rationally.
            I think the same thing every time I read that sig.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
              Well, better become a sophist then, as all information, ever, is gathered by eyewitness testimony.
              Not true.
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                I think the same thing every time I read that sig.
                sig not understood.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  sig not understood.
                  Explain please.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment