Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Bystander Effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bystander Effect

Discuss. This is when bystanders don't get involved in a problem for various reasons, such as: not knowing the problem exists, expecting that someone else will solve the problem, not knowing what to do, etc.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

1) not knowing what to do
    2) fear
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Knowledge is power. Would informing people help reduce it?

Comment

I thought you meant 'Get Smart' - the bystander effect being that anytime someone tries to kill Max, they hit a bystander.

3) Apathy
        4) Convinced (irrationally) that 'someone else will do something'.
        5) They weren't told to (if you direct a command rather than make a general plea the person is more likely to actually do what they are told. So instead of "someone call 911" say, "you, with the blue shirt, call 911!")
        6) Fear of upsetting authority - the police might get mad if you don't wait for them - never mind that the guy is bleeding.
        7) Unsure what to do (always give clear instructions because if they don't understand they will stand there like idiots).
        8) The Uncut Pie Factor: weirdly, most people will avoid being the first. They will bypass a perfectly good uncut pie in favor of one with a slice missing even though both are on a buffet. Once someone 'cuts the pie' by acting, others will join in.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

A recent situation here in NZ, a woman was beaten up by a stranger in public. One by stander said he didn't intervene because he thought the bloke was her partner!!!!!!! Another said he was afraid of being charged with assault if he intervened.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/crime/news...ectid=11188763
          Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
          1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Sometimes it might be confusing who the bad guy is. And the scene may be unsafe.

Comment

I remember this one from AP psych, when it comes to me it's usually cause I don't care or it's not my problem but I've tried moving away from being like that.
              "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
              "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
              Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                A recent situation here in NZ, a woman was beaten up by a stranger in public. One by stander said he didn't intervene because he thought the bloke was her partner!!!!!!! Another said he was afraid of being charged with assault if he intervened.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/crime/news...ectid=11188763
                'Stranger', 'bystander', 'consumption unit', or whatever, whoever wrote, edited, and published that article is criminally negligent in giving information on the demographics of the assailant or the neighborhood. Given the target and the excuses, most likely all Indians, in whose fatalistic culture these things are just expected. Sadly, the Daily Mail has nothing related to New Zealand outside of International Anglosphere sports, so it's likely that the truth, in this case, will be lost forever.

Raphael, you in particular seem to have a habit of posting ambiguous crime stories like these and claiming in some vague way that this reflects on all humanity. No, it reflects on the degenerate human tribes where this is seen as a daily practice. I know South Africa is probably like that every day, but even there most of the white/Asian population, even among the poor, don't really act like this.

I recommend not reading these newspaper articles and especially not using the vague abstract terms like 'strangers' and 'bystanders,' as you seem to have overloaded the definition with too much explanatory power that's causing you not to see the world as it is. Use the enemy's words and read the enemy's literature on a daily basis, and you will begin to think the enemy's thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  I thought you meant 'Get Smart' - the bystander effect being that anytime someone tries to kill Max, they hit a bystander.

3) Apathy
                  4) Convinced (irrationally) that 'someone else will do something'.
                  5) They weren't told to (if you direct a command rather than make a general plea the person is more likely to actually do what they are told. So instead of "someone call 911" say, "you, with the blue shirt, call 911!")
                  6) Fear of upsetting authority - the police might get mad if you don't wait for them - never mind that the guy is bleeding.
                  7) Unsure what to do (always give clear instructions because if they don't understand they will stand there like idiots).
                  8) The Uncut Pie Factor: weirdly, most people will avoid being the first. They will bypass a perfectly good uncut pie in favor of one with a slice missing even though both are on a buffet. Once someone 'cuts the pie' by acting, others will join in.
                  At Church, when we have done the "prayer for the meal", nobody wants to be first in line. So I'll usually call out somebody's name and say, "demonstrate leadership --- show us how it's done!" IF they don't hop to it, I say, "OK, I'll lead!"
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

There is one other reason as well that can be expressed in diverse fashion:

1) Not my duty.
                    2) Not my problem
                    3) Not my jurisdiction
                    4) I am not here to grant solution to every problem uninvolved with my being.

Cerealman got the gist that I myself have.
                    Last edited by Andius; 03-05-2014, 08:43 AM.
                    Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
                    As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

Is this like the cheerleader effect?

Comment

Originally posted by themuzicman View Post
                        Is this like the cheerleader effect?
                        No. I looked up what that phrase meant, and the only thing in common is the idea that groups have an effect on people. But the effects are not the same type.

Comment

I do wonder how common the opposite problem would be in real life? If people burn themselves out by trying to help everybody?

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                            I do wonder how common the opposite problem would be in real life? If people burn themselves out by trying to help everybody?
                            It happens to plenty of idealistic people who make career choices like going into social work or inner city teaching.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              It happens to plenty of idealistic people who make career choices like going into social work or inner city teaching.
                              That makes sense. I don't think I would have the emotional capability to deal with it, which is why I'm not going to be a social worker, doctor, nurse, clinical psychologist, paramedic, or police officer.

Comment