Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Depression?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Celebrian View Post
    I don't doubt that there are people who only think they have depression, who really do need to stop thinking about themselves. I'm also afraid that way too many doctors prescribe psychiatric drugs as a quick fix without really knowing what they are doing.

However, there is nothing more frustrating to those who truly suffer from depression to be told to "just snap out of it". Believe me, no one wants to be to the point of not being able to function at all. I had that happen even when my life should have been fine. I am convinced that you can get to the point where medication is required to help you get out of the hole (and maintain in my case). However, it should never be just medication, but also counseling/behavior management as well.

Please don't take this as a criticism (I don't know if this would even occur to you), but please don't do to your congregation what a pastor did to me, and say that all depression is just the person's fault for sinning and getting right with God is all you need. For someone with a true mental illness, that is the equivalent of telling someone with cancer they will be cured if they are just right with God.
    Years ago, when I was in youth ministry, I heard an expression, "you may call it puppy love, but it's REAL to the puppy!" That really struck me! Even if I didn't think that there was such a thing as "depression", it doesn't change the fact that the person who is "depressed" honestly believes they are. So, no, I'd never indicate that depression was a person's own fault, and I am VERY careful to avoid that "snap out of it" thing.

I have FREQUENTLY suggested that people who are "depressed" consider turning their attention "outside", and try volunteer work, or something focused on other people, and FREQUENTLY I've seen people make some major progress that way. I also have met people who -- this is NO exaggeration -- prefer to sit in a rocking chair in a dark room with a blanket over their head.

I still think, in my own humble but accurate opinion, that there are a LOT of people who are just self-centered or lazy or whatever who hide behind the "depression" label.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Clinical depression isn't always marked by lethargy and hiding in bed but can mimic symptoms of bipolar mania with inability to sleep and psychotic delusions, often triggered by some kind of loss like death, divorce, etc.

While I agree with CP that volunteer work is good medicine, without treatment and actual meds a lot of these people would be truly crazy and non-functional. We have a lot of this among homeless around where I live.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyP View Post
        Clinical depression isn't always marked by lethargy and hiding in bed but can mimic symptoms of bipolar mania with inability to sleep and psychotic delusions, often triggered by some kind of loss like death, divorce, etc.

While I agree with CP that volunteer work is good medicine, without treatment and actual meds a lot of these people would be truly crazy and non-functional. We have a lot of this among homeless around where I live.
        And isn't a lot of this homelessness a result of the liberal social engineers OPPOSING "institutions", and preventing the "commitment" of people to institutions?

My older brother had a bad reaction to his epilepsy meds some years ago, and was walking the streets of downtown Atlanta trying to figure out where he was. When an Atlanta Police Officer stopped to see what was going on, my brother, unwisely, said, "I could just kill that doctor for changing my meds", and John was arrested for "making terroristic threats". I flew from Houston to Atlanta to get him out of the County Psych ward (whatever it's called there) and was amazed to see that the people WORKING there seemed more depressed than the "inmates". I was seriously beginning to think that maybe the inmates had INDEED taken over the asylum.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          And isn't a lot of this homelessness a result of the liberal social engineers OPPOSING "institutions", and preventing the "commitment" of people to institutions?

My older brother had a bad reaction to his epilepsy meds some years ago, and was walking the streets of downtown Atlanta trying to figure out where he was. When an Atlanta Police Officer stopped to see what was going on, my brother, unwisely, said, "I could just kill that doctor for changing my meds", and John was arrested for "making terroristic threats". I flew from Houston to Atlanta to get him out of the County Psych ward (whatever it's called there) and was amazed to see that the people WORKING there seemed more depressed than the "inmates". I was seriously beginning to think that maybe the inmates had INDEED taken over the asylum.
          That's sad. One problem around here is it can take months to even see a county psych for diagnosis and meds, we just don't have the funding.

Comment

That's sad. One problem around here is it can take months to even see a county psych for diagnosis and meds, we just don't have the funding.
            Have no fear - Obama is fixing that.

Comment

Years ago, when I was in youth ministry, I heard an expression, "you may call it puppy love, but it's REAL to the puppy!" That really struck me! Even if I didn't think that there was such a thing as "depression", it doesn't change the fact that the person who is "depressed" honestly believes they are. So, no, I'd never indicate that depression was a person's own fault, and I am VERY careful to avoid that "snap out of it" thing.
              Thanks, I'm glad to hear that. You could say I'm just a little sensitive on the subject

Comment

I also have met people who -- this is NO exaggeration -- prefer to sit in a rocking chair in a dark room with a blanket over their head.
                I have no way of knowing of course, but you might be misinterpreting this as a preference. When you are down in the pit of depression, you are not thinking clearly and it is hard to see a way out. You may honestly believe you can't do anything. I know when I got back to normal, I realized how weird my thinking had been (and never wanted to be that way again!). Just a possibility

Comment

Indeed. While I've had episodes that caused me to be unable to do anything but sleep for 16 hours at a time, I've also had anxiety-ridden episodes that have me up until 4 or 5 in the morning worrying about everything and then if I do get any actual sleep it's almost always filled with nightmares that have me afraid to go back to sleep again and so the cycle continues. Although volunteer work is, in fact, onafe of the coping mechanisms advised by all the therapists I encountered after my initial diagnosis. I can help to some extent.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                  "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                  Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

While I do not work in the mental health field, in the course of my work I frequently encounter mentally ill persons and have had a chance to observe how treatment programs progress in various situations. I've also helped several close family members cope with clinical depression and anxiety disorders, among other things. These experiences have allowed me the opportunity to observe how mental health services function in my area.

Quite frankly, I think the tendency to apply the label "depression" and then treat for it is a consequence of limited resources. As others have mentioned, insurance rules (and other factors) limit the amount of face-time patients get with qualified professionals. Doctors (and other professionals) do not have adequate time to accurately diagnose a patient so it's easy to just name the problem depression and give 'em some meds.

But the story (where I live) is worse than that. Our mental health services (crisis management, in-patient facilities, all of it) are so woefully under-funded that some people cannot get a timely appointment for preventative care (meetings with a psychiatrist, counselling services, adjustment of current medications, etc)...and so end their mental state deteriorates to the point where reach a crisis. At this point, they're involuntarily committed...and then wait for an inordinate amount of time for placement to an in-patient clinic (because they usually don't have health insurance). When they're finally placed somewhere, they're frequently released within one to two weeks (once again, you gotta get them out the door cause they have no insurance and you're losing money). Then they start the cycle over again because they still can't get timely access to the resources they need.

It's sad to me that we have the knowledge, ability, and medications to really make a difference in their lives...yet we haven't figured out a way to make sure they get the help they need.
                    "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      I'm beginning to wonder if depression hasn't become the dump category for things that don't fit anything else. I don't doubt it exists - but the description is so broad I think other, sometimes not truly psychological, disorders are getting dragged in.
                      I felt depressed today. Not really sure why. I have a lot to be thankful for. Sometimes I feel like I want to cry inside. It's kind of weird...how it just comes on. It seems to be related a lot to circumstances. Sometimes life gets kind of dull, nothing much fun going on. But we gotta keep on movin forward anyway. Man...if you stop, then you're really in for depression! When you quit trying...that's scary...

Comment

Originally posted by GoBahnsen View Post
                        I felt depressed today. Not really sure why. I have a lot to be thankful for. Sometimes I feel like I want to cry inside. It's kind of weird...how it just comes on. It seems to be related a lot to circumstances. Sometimes life gets kind of dull, nothing much fun going on. But we gotta keep on movin forward anyway. Man...if you stop, then you're really in for depression! When you quit trying...that's scary...
                        wow. if there's any comfort in knowing that someone here (me) feels almost exactly to the letter of what you just stated i should add that to things to be thankful for. I know many people feel like us. The thing is, with age and experience of having felt this fluctuating mood, I can now tell myself (literally) "I've felt this before, it's just a feeling, I know i'll smile and feel better again soon, maybe even this afternoon". It's strange, but I have felt extremely low and then later that same evening be fine (I watch myself for extremes but really I just feel better, not euphoric). So, this gives me some comfort.

Comment

Originally posted by princesa View Post
                          wow. if there's any comfort in knowing that someone here (me) feels almost exactly to the letter of what you just stated i should add that to things to be thankful for. I know many people feel like us. The thing is, with age and experience of having felt this fluctuating mood, I can now tell myself (literally) "I've felt this before, it's just a feeling, I know i'll smile and feel better again soon, maybe even this afternoon". It's strange, but I have felt extremely low and then later that same evening be fine (I watch myself for extremes but really I just feel better, not euphoric). So, this gives me some comfort.
                          I hear ya. For me right now, I am going thru a total lifestyle transformation and it's really a big challenge. I remember when my wife and I were first married many years ago. And we were out in a beautiful country setting. Our RV was parked in a peaceful camping site. The pacific ocean steps away. On the other side, hills, cows, oaks, vineyards. We would ride bikes all day. But the part that seemed the best was when she made up a plate of cheese and quality crackers and a bottle of red wine.

I would go on over the years trying to figure out that plate of food and the bottle of wine. I wanted more...a lot more! But the body isn't made for a lot of that stuff. I have gone from 180 to 230, back and forth, numerous times trying to figure out food and drink.

I love my mornings right now. I wake up feeling great. I love my bullet proof coffee. But as the day progresses that old battle haunts me. I was reflecting over past fun times last night, with my wife. And I said "remember that time we...man that was so fun, but I had had quite a few beers...remember?" Then I went on to say, "you know I cannot remember one good time in the past 25 years when a beer wasn't in the picture." Really? she said. "yeah, not one time..."

So trying to change my ways as an older dog, learning new tricks, is just really different. It can be downright depressing at times

Comment

oh boy I understand. Change is hard and we can't see that in the future we'll probably not even think about how hard it was because we'll be enjoying the fruits of the present change. A painful process but temporary until the goal is met. That's certain. I smoked one or two cigarettes a night after the children were asleep as a reward to calm me after a hectic day. I broke the cigarette habit (2 years ago) but not the pyschological one b/c i've replaced them with electronic cigarettes. My point is that now i want to quit the electronic cigarettes because I don't feel good when I use it but i cant stop as there is nothing to replace the inhaling sensation with. I don't think its the nicotene but I could be wrong. With beer, there is a liquid replacement you can use that is healthy, I do wish you the best in finding that replacement soon and that it will turn into a new healthy habit for you. But I know it's probably a combination of things that cause us to feel down sometimes, and this is just one. It certainly is for me as well. I loved reading about when you were in the country, it was a beautiful vivid memory, I felt myself there! Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by princesa View Post
                              oh boy I understand. Change is hard and we can't see that in the future we'll probably not even think about how hard it was because we'll be enjoying the fruits of the present change. A painful process but temporary until the goal is met. That's certain. I smoked one or two cigarettes a night after the children were asleep as a reward to calm me after a hectic day. I broke the cigarette habit (2 years ago) but not the pyschological one b/c i've replaced them with electronic cigarettes. My point is that now i want to quit the electronic cigarettes because I don't feel good when I use it but i cant stop as there is nothing to replace the inhaling sensation with. I don't think its the nicotene but I could be wrong. With beer, there is a liquid replacement you can use that is healthy, I do wish you the best in finding that replacement soon and that it will turn into a new healthy habit for you. But I know it's probably a combination of things that cause us to feel down sometimes, and this is just one. It certainly is for me as well. I loved reading about when you were in the country, it was a beautiful vivid memory, I felt myself there! Thank you for sharing.
                              Hey there, just popped in and gotta rush off, but wanted to say thanks for your kind words. This place can be brutal.

"Hey GB why don't you stop being a pathetic, boring person and get a life...then you might not be so depressed." Ya hear that stuff in here. Maybe I invite it too...yikes!

Comment

this place is nuts, but i've found a lot of help here through the years. People who are jerks in such an overt manner are stamping their forehead as such and should be ignored like that pimple you see on your face in the mirror as an adult and you're like "oh for goodness sakes, are you really on my face? I'm not even going to pay attention to this it's just way too ludicrous to even think about"

yes, i've actually said that to a pimple : )

Comment