Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

I am giving up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Seeker View Post
    Update: I finished my degree on IT Management. Now I have to send out resumates, but hope is scarce. :(
    I hope those resumates find partners!

Seriously, best wishes to you in your job search!
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
      Given the present state of the world, you are far from alone.

What are you good at? What do you enjoy doing? [Apart that is from posting on internet boards!]
      To be honest, I don't even enjoy posting on this or other boards, I am just so used to it that it became a habit (instead of merely a hobby). As I said above, I finished a degree on IT Management, but I don't like IT. I enjoy biology. I started out having this interest mainly as theological discussions on creation/evolution, but now I enjoy it on it's own. Maybe the next thing I should do is get a biology degree, but I don't see myself as a teacher, so it seems moot either way. Therefore, I am currently at a loss.

Comment

Update: I finished my degree on IT Management. Now I have to send out resumates, but hope is scarce. :(
        Congratulations!

Comment

To be honest, I don't even enjoy posting on this or other boards, I am just so used to it that it became a habit (instead of merely a hobby). As I said above, I finished a degree on IT Management, but I don't like IT. I enjoy biology. I started out having this interest mainly as theological discussions on creation/evolution, but now I enjoy it on it's own. Maybe the next thing I should do is get a biology degree, but I don't see myself as a teacher, so it seems moot either way. Therefore, I am currently at a loss.
          That's sad --- I always encourage people "find something you enjoy doing, and find a way to get paid doing it". I LOVED IT, so I got involved in it, benefited greatly from it, and still dabble in it, though no longer "in the business".

I think this is advice we should give all people -- find something you love doing*, and figure out a way to get paid doing it.

*assuming, of course, as a Christian, that it's something legal, moral, ethical....
          "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            That's sad --- I always encourage people "find something you enjoy doing, and find a way to get paid doing it". I LOVED IT, so I got involved in it, benefited greatly from it, and still dabble in it, though no longer "in the business".

I think this is advice we should give all people -- find something you love doing*, and figure out a way to get paid doing it.

*assuming, of course, as a Christian, that it's something legal, moral, ethical....
            I read you're a professional pastor? Just curious.

EDIT: Thanks, Cow Poke and Sparko.
            Last edited by Seeker; 07-28-2020, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

That's what I did. I liked art, electronics and computers. So I ended up doing graphic design and video on a computer. I am currently working in generic IT but I also do most of the powerpoints and video editing at my current job.

Seeker, if you had a degree in biology, you could get a job working in research labs, or even in the corporate world. A lot of companies have biologists on staff to come up with new formulas, "green" compliance, etc.

You might even try to get a job at a lab or something right now working in IT and work in the biology field.

Comment

I read you're a professional pastor? Just curious.
                Laughing.... um, I'd hardly call myself professional, but I work at it every day.

Fact is, that MOST of my ministry life, I have been a bivocational minister --- meaning I had a secular job that paid the bills, and often, I served in churches (yeah, bragging again) where I tithed more than I got paid.
                But that was because I am, by nature, a problem resolution and crisis management kind of guy.

My current ministry role is full time, but when I first came to this church, they were in serious trouble, barely paying bills, and a total congregation of 17 people.
                We had just gotten to the point of approaching 100 in regular attendance when Covid hit, so we have another set-back, but I think we're managing that well.

EDIT: Thanks, Cow Poke and Sparko.

Incidentally, the way I got into "the computer business" is...

I was working for a church as College Minister way back before computers were commonly used in churches, and "church management systems" were incredibly expensive.
                So, I got a copy of Ashton Tate dBase, and wrote my own computer program for attendance, mailing, contact, membership, etc...

A Church of Christ minister stopped by one day to pick me up for lunch, and I was finishing up writing some code.
                He asked me what I was doing, and when I explained I was writing a Church Management Software, he asked if I could do that for his church.

I said "sure", I'd just change some of the terminology, and maybe some different text field labels, but, sure!
                He asked, "how much would you charge?"

I was captivated --- "CHARGE?" I can CHARGE for that?
                And I started selling my computer program, getting more and more involved in IT.
                I had ZERO formal training in IT until much later, when I did the CCNA, etc, stuff, and got certifications and one degree in computer stuff.

Subsequently, I sold my computer program to another company, and started my own computer consulting business, which God has blessed amazingly well.

Comment

When you write "biology" do you mean the natural world in general or a specific interest in the discipline? If you take a biology degree there are lots of openings for you apart from teaching. I do not know what country you are in but "biology" can open the door to environmental issues, NGOs, education [albeit not actual teaching], and of course further research if you find a branch of biology you would like to study in greater depth, or it may lead to other related disciplines, biochemistry, evolutionary biology, ecology, genetics - there are quite a few options available.

My initial advice, given that you have just completed one degree, is to see if you can get a few months voluntary work. There may be some group/programme in your area that could offer you some time looking at the natural world perhaps studying a particular local species' population, for example. A local conservation group of some sort would give you a chance to meet like-minded individuals and often such groups have members who are qualified in particular disciplines, who can give you further advice and help.

Good luck.
                  "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" Attrib. Seneca 4 BCE - 65 CE

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                    When you write "biology" do you mean the natural world in general or a specific interest in the discipline? If you take a biology degree there are lots of openings for you apart from teaching. I do not know what country you are in but "biology" can open the door to environmental issues, NGOs, education [albeit not actual teaching], and of course further research if you find a branch of biology you would like to study in greater depth, or it may lead to other related disciplines, biochemistry, evolutionary biology, ecology, genetics - there are quite a few options available.

My initial advice, given that you have just completed one degree, is to see if you can get a few months voluntary work. There may be some group/programme in your area that could offer you some time looking at the natural world perhaps studying a particular local species' population, for example. A local conservation group of some sort would give you a chance to meet like-minded individuals and often such groups have members who are qualified in particular disciplines, who can give you further advice and help.

Good luck.
                    Thanks, Hypatia. Maybe I will give a more thorough answer later, but for now I just want to say I appreciate your advice/input. Also, I'm sorry my reply is so late. :(

Comment

Thanks, Hypatia. Maybe I will give a more thorough answer later, but for now I just want to say I appreciate your advice/input. Also, I'm sorry my reply is so late. :(
                      Oh do not worry. I hope you are feeling better. And remember "you still have your health"!
                      "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" Attrib. Seneca 4 BCE - 65 CE

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X