Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Repeat Dreams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The scariest of all dreams are the ones the wimmenfolk have where you did something and now they are angry at you for what you did in a dream.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

What I find fascinating is how short-lived a dream memory can be. I can wake up in the morning and have a very vivid memory of the dream I just had, in general and down to small details. Yet an hour later, I can-and-have forgotten the dream completely. I simply can't recall it. I suppose an expert could explain this, but it appears dreams occur in a part of the brain that doesn't utilize memory. Once awake, I have to think about the dream intensely right away before it will be retained in my memory.
      I believe I read that dreams are only stored in short term memory and don't go into long term memory unless you make an effort to do so when awake (maybe by writing it down or concentrating on it before it fades)

Comment

Especially traumatic dreams seem to be remembered more than casual dreams in my life.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
          I occasionallly dream that I'm in a city, and about to leave. I can't remember where I parked my car, or sometimes what kind of car I have, or if I even have a car. And I'm wandering through the streets looking for my car.
          It happened again last night. I left the office, went to the company parking lot, and had to search all over for my car. I couldn't remember if I even drove to work.
          When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post

It happened again last night. I left the office, went to the company parking lot, and had to search all over for my car. I couldn't remember if I even drove to work.
            Except for the last sentence sounds like a typical trip to the grocery store or Walmart.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I also read light sleepers remember their dreams better because they tend to wake up during or right after a dream and that switches on the long term memory storage in your brain. I am a pretty light sleeper waking up several times in the night, so that might explain why I tend to remember my dreams more often. But if I don't really think about the dream when I wake up, it doesn't seem to stick that well. I will sometimes wake up in the morning with only a vague memory of what it was about.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                I also read light sleepers remember their dreams better because they tend to wake up during or right after a dream and that switches on the long term memory storage in your brain. I am a pretty light sleeper waking up several times in the night, so that might explain why I tend to remember my dreams more often. But if I don't really think about the dream when I wake up, it doesn't seem to stick that well. I will sometimes wake up in the morning with only a vague memory of what it was about.
                As you get older us guys often tend to wake up at least once during the night light sleeper or not. I've never heard that being tied to remembering dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  As you get older us guys often tend to wake up at least once during the night light sleeper or not. I've never heard that being tied to remembering dreams.
                  Source: https://www.drmayankshukla.com/cant-remember-dreams/

Their research concluded that people who remember their dreams are light sleepers. They wake up throughout the night which could allow them to easily memorize what they were just dreaming about. Scientists also discovered that high dream callers may also produce more dreams.

© Copyright Original Source

Source: https://www.discovermagazine.com/mind/why-do-some-people-always-remember-their-dreams-while-others-almost-never

It may not come as a surprise, then, that dreamers are also more prone to waking up at night, and have longer periods of wakefulness, as another study by Vallat found in 2017.
                  This wakefulness is another must-have component of memory formation. And brief periods of awakenings — around two minutes — is enough time for dreams to be encoded into long-term memory, the paper explained. If you’re a light sleeper, dream recall probably feels natural to you.

Source: https://www.spring.org.uk/2022/12/facts-about-dreaming.php

“This may explain why high dream recallers are more reactive to environmental stimuli, awaken more during sleep, and thus better encode dreams in memory than low dream recallers.
                  Indeed the sleeping brain is not capable of memorizing new information; it needs to awaken to be able to do that.”

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Source: https://www.drmayankshukla.com/cant-remember-dreams/

Their research concluded that people who remember their dreams are light sleepers. They wake up throughout the night which could allow them to easily memorize what they were just dreaming about. Scientists also discovered that high dream callers may also produce more dreams.

Source: https://www.discovermagazine.com/mind/why-do-some-people-always-remember-their-dreams-while-others-almost-never

It may not come as a surprise, then, that dreamers are also more prone to waking up at night, and have longer periods of wakefulness, as another study by Vallat found in 2017.
                    This wakefulness is another must-have component of memory formation. And brief periods of awakenings — around two minutes — is enough time for dreams to be encoded into long-term memory, the paper explained. If you’re a light sleeper, dream recall probably feels natural to you.

Source: https://www.spring.org.uk/2022/12/facts-about-dreaming.php

“This may explain why high dream recallers are more reactive to environmental stimuli, awaken more during sleep, and thus better encode dreams in memory than low dream recallers.
                    Indeed the sleeping brain is not capable of memorizing new information; it needs to awaken to be able to do that.”

I'm just saying I've never heard anything about older men recalling their dreams more often because they tend to wake up once or more a night.

Comment

I'm just saying I've never heard anything about older men recalling their dreams more often because they tend to wake up once or more a night.
                      It only counts if you wake up during or just after a dream. I do that a lot. I tend to only be able to sleep a few hours at a time. But not every time I wake up was I dreaming.

Comment

I have had a recurring dream where I'm driving a vehicle, usually something large like an RV or a bus, from the back. Someone is up front directing me, but the steering wheel is in the very back. Once, I was driving the station wagon I bought from my parents when I first started driving. I was alone in the car and I was in the seat behind the driver's seat. I thought to myself, this is ridiculous. So I pulled into a parking lot and got out, and got into the front seat and shut the door. As soon as the door closed, I was back behind the driver's seat again.

I also have had the show-up-to-work-in-pajamas dream several times. Also the one where I moved back into a house I lived in (briefly) as a kid. I rarely have the can't-find-my-car dream, but I have had that one.

​​​​​​Probably my most frequently occurring dream is one where I can't find a public toilet, and when I do, it's out in the open, like the dining room of a restaurant. Not even in a stall, just against the wall between the tables. The last time I dreamed it, I even thought to myself in the dream, "A toilet out in the open again! No wonder I keep dreaming about this!"

I do tend to remember my dreams, but not always. They are usually very bizarre. I once dreamt that I went with my family to a farmer's market that was in this ENORMOUS building, and someone was selling fruit that was a cross between a cantaloupe and a pear. They called it a "Mouon Fruit" according to the sticker. That's another thing. I can read things in my dreams; words aren't just fuzzy or blurry. I can read clearly and recall what I read when I wake up.

Another bizarre dream I had was back when I was single, I dreamed that I started renting a room from a family whose son had moved out, and his parents casually asked me if I wanted to marry him sight unseen. I agreed because I had nothing better to do that day, so we got married in their living room which hadn't been redecorated since the 1960's. I had also dyed my hair to look like red gingham fabric. There was also something about the house being converted into a ship before some kind of flood came, and some zombies being defeated by a bunch of people dressed like Disney princesses wielding rifles equipped with zombie detectors. I think the house ended up being converted into a bunker instead of a ship. That one was not recurring though. Just bizarre.

I do also frequently dream that my family and I have just moved into a new house, usually one that was converted from something else like a store or even a giant snow globe with a house in it. I think I dream that one because I play The Sims (2 and 4), and frequently I convert pre-built shops and things into homes. I can't explain us living in a house inside a giant snow globe, though.

I do also regularly dream that I've gone to a mall or shopping center of some kind with my parents and siblings. The dream usually ends up with us inside some kind of labyrinth designed by a marketing team, but I usually find my way back to the parking lot. I have never had this dream about IKEA, however.

I am an extremely light sleeper. I wake up at least once every night, usually more like two or three times and sometimes as often as five or six. I have a smart watch and it says that I often wake up after each sleep cycle.
                        Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                          I have had a recurring dream where I'm driving a vehicle, usually something large like an RV or a bus, from the back. Someone is up front directing me, but the steering wheel is in the very back. Once, I was driving the station wagon I bought from my parents when I first started driving. I was alone in the car and I was in the seat behind the driver's seat. I thought to myself, this is ridiculous. So I pulled into a parking lot and got out, and got into the front seat and shut the door. As soon as the door closed, I was back behind the driver's seat again.

I also have had the show-up-to-work-in-pajamas dream several times. Also the one where I moved back into a house I lived in (briefly) as a kid. I rarely have the can't-find-my-car dream, but I have had that one.

​​​​​​Probably my most frequently occurring dream is one where I can't find a public toilet, and when I do, it's out in the open, like the dining room of a restaurant. Not even in a stall, just against the wall between the tables. The last time I dreamed it, I even thought to myself in the dream, "A toilet out in the open again! No wonder I keep dreaming about this!"

I do tend to remember my dreams, but not always. They are usually very bizarre. I once dreamt that I went with my family to a farmer's market that was in this ENORMOUS building, and someone was selling fruit that was a cross between a cantaloupe and a pear. They called it a "Mouon Fruit" according to the sticker. That's another thing. I can read things in my dreams; words aren't just fuzzy or blurry. I can read clearly and recall what I read when I wake up.

Another bizarre dream I had was back when I was single, I dreamed that I started renting a room from a family whose son had moved out, and his parents casually asked me if I wanted to marry him sight unseen. I agreed because I had nothing better to do that day, so we got married in their living room which hadn't been redecorated since the 1960's. I had also dyed my hair to look like red gingham fabric. There was also something about the house being converted into a ship before some kind of flood came, and some zombies being defeated by a bunch of people dressed like Disney princesses wielding rifles equipped with zombie detectors. I think the house ended up being converted into a bunker instead of a ship. That one was not recurring though. Just bizarre.

I do also frequently dream that my family and I have just moved into a new house, usually one that was converted from something else like a store or even a giant snow globe with a house in it. I think I dream that one because I play The Sims (2 and 4), and frequently I convert pre-built shops and things into homes. I can't explain us living in a house inside a giant snow globe, though.

I do also regularly dream that I've gone to a mall or shopping center of some kind with my parents and siblings. The dream usually ends up with us inside some kind of labyrinth designed by a marketing team, but I usually find my way back to the parking lot. I have never had this dream about IKEA, however.

I am an extremely light sleeper. I wake up at least once every night, usually more like two or three times and sometimes as often as five or six. I have a smart watch and it says that I often wake up after each sleep cycle.
                          That sounds a lot like the kind of stuff I've had in dreams too. They are often either nightmares or just plain bizarre. I'm also an extremely light sleeper, and I wake up in the middle of the night frequently.

Comment

Many experts say that reading in a dream is impossible because it involves a part of the brain that is basically shut down during sleep. Essentially, you know what something says rather than actually reading the words.

I found that was true for when I actually focused on what I read rather than "reading it" the letters were more like ever-shifting glyphs and symbols and not even real letters.

So I made it a quest to read in a dream. Failed time after time. I kept knowing what was written rather than reading it.

Then one night, I clearly read a single word written on an advertisement on a passing bus (for some reason that was where I did a lot of my attempts at reading). Don't recall what it was by I immediately woke up after accomplishing it.

So I know from experience that in spite of what they say, one can actually read in a dream and not just know what is "written"

Comment

Many experts say that reading in a dream is impossible because it involves a part of the brain that is basically shut down during sleep. Essentially, you know what something says rather than actually reading the words.

I found that was true for when I actually focused on what I read rather than "reading it" the letters were more like ever-shifting glyphs and symbols and not even real letters.

So I made it a quest to read in a dream. Failed time after time. I kept knowing what was written rather than reading it.

Then one night, I clearly read a single word written on an advertisement on a passing bus (for some reason that was where I did a lot of my attempts at reading). Don't recall what it was by I immediately woke up after accomplishing it.

So I know from experience that in spite of what they say, one can actually read in a dream and not just know what is "written"
                              Yes. "Mouon" isn't even a real word. I saw the individual letters.

I have even read movie credits in a dream, remembering what the names were after I woke up. I don't remember it now, but I did at the time.
                              Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Yes. "Mouon" isn't even a real word. I saw the individual letters.

I have even read movie credits in a dream, remembering what the names were after I woke up. I don't remember it now, but I did at the time.
                                I'm able to read in some dreams and not in others. Heck, in a few dreams I was stuck thinking I was awake because I could clearly read the symbols in front of me. Maybe some people aren't able to, but it's definitely not universal.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X