Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

"The Spectrum"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Some day, I'd really like to talk to somebody about this whole "spectrum" thing, because I've seen it abused (in my opinion) where a parent will dismiss the bad actions of a child because "well, he has autism". One of my sisters is like that with her grandsons, and these kids just don't even try to behave, because they have this "excuse".
    It is definitely abused, but the understanding of what "The Spectrum" means still very limited in the general public. The problem is those parents, as they would just use something else as an excuse to justify the behavior if they didn't have a diagnosis of autism.

Comment

That was my impression, so it really seems odd to defend aggressive or obnoxious behavior. It's a green light to these kids to act up.
      Yeah usually the excuse parents use for that is "ADHD"

Still an excuse for poor parenting INHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Seems to be more very specific areas of the internet. I've been in a lot of different kinds of internet sites, and outside of very specific areas the ratio isn't nearly as skewed.
        You mean social media and dating apps? Most people on Instagram and such seem to be "normals" who are more concerned about status and showing off. Most people on forums seem to be "unnormal" - ranging from just shy or autistic to completely deranged (e.g. Mikiel) or just trolls.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Actual kids with autism generally are quiet and shy not loud and obnoxious. They can get overwhelmed and lash out but mostly they want to be left alone.
          That's true of a lot of them, but not all of them. Some autistics are loud and outgoing. Autism has an issue of extremes due to its nature. Hypo and hypersensitivity are extremely common in autism as is volume control with regards to voice. The kids who are shy and quiet are just more likely to be recognized as autistic because of public perceptions of what autism is. It's a little too big of a comic to upload here, but this explains things fairly well.

Comment

You mean social media and dating apps? Most people on Instagram and such seem to be "normals" who are more concerned about status and showing off. Most people on forums seem to be "unnormal" - ranging from just shy or autistic to completely deranged (e.g. Mikiel) or just trolls.
            Even various forums seem to have more neurotypicals than others. Usually it depends on how mainstream the topic is. The Overwatch forums for example seemed fairly evenly populated since the game appealed to a very large audience. I'm guessing they had slightly more autistics congregated there then you would find in a mainstream store at a mall however. The numbers vary from 1 out of every 59 people to one out of every 44 have autism.

Comment

That's true of a lot of them, but not all of them. Some autistics are loud and outgoing. Autism has an issue of extremes due to its nature. Hypo and hypersensitivity are extremely common in autism as is volume control with regards to voice. The kids who are shy and quiet are just more likely to be recognized as autistic because of public perceptions of what autism is. It's a little too big of a comic to upload here, but this explains things fairly well.
              spectrum.jpg

Going by that it seems like everyone is "on the spectrum" because everyone has difficult areas in their life and in the way they process information. Someone who stutters or has tinnitus could have trouble with processing language for example. Someone might just be shy in social situations.

Comment

Yeah usually the excuse parents use for that is "ADHD"

Still an excuse for poor parenting INHO.
                In the old days, it was "A-D-D" - and I'd say, "nope, it's B-A-D".
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Thanks, Brum.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

spectrum.jpg

Going by that it seems like everyone is "on the spectrum" because everyone has difficult areas in their life and in the way they process information. Someone who stutters or has tinnitus could have trouble with processing language for example. Someone might just be shy in social situations.
                    That's a very common misinterpretation of the concept. This misinterpretation is not really different from saying all people have a little CRPS because everyone deals with pain from time to time. Or all people have a little diabetes because too much sugar is bad for anyone. A large part of the difference is in degree, and how the problem arises in the first place. Even diabetes has type 1 and type 2 to differentiate on how it was acquired. The criteria for autism also take into account such things. In order for a diagnosis of autism the traits must be "Symptoms must be present in the early developmental period (but may not become fully manifest until social demands exceed limited capacities, or may be masked by learned strategies in later life)", and "These disturbances are not better explained by intellectual disability (intellectual developmental disorder) or global developmental delay".

For a diagnosis of autism someone has to meet the criteria of the DSM V, and not all people meet those criteria. You must have all three areas of social communication issues, and at least 2 of the restricted, repetitive behaviors criteria. These criteria present at different levels* between autistic people, but the issues overlap in such a way that it has become effectively impossible to separate all of them.

*Some people are so hypersensitive to sounds they can't handle a room full of people talking without a meltdown. Others have no issues with this, but can't handle a room with bright lights. Others are hyposensitive to all of these things so seek out highly stimulating activities. There is a lot of variability in how these categories overlap and to what severity that happens. Some autistics are geniuses like Steven Hawking, and others have very low IQ's. Some are savants in one are while can barely function outside of that one area. These are just some examples of how autism can present in different people.

Comment

Thanks, Brum.
                      You're welcome. I've been researching the topic a lot for about two years now, so I know a bit more about the topic than the average person. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Comment

You're welcome. I've been researching the topic a lot for about two years now, so I know a bit more about the topic than the average person. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
                        Thanks

Comment

That's a very common misinterpretation of the concept. This misinterpretation is not really different from saying all people have a little CRPS because everyone deals with pain from time to time. Or all people have a little diabetes because too much sugar is bad for anyone. A large part of the difference is in degree, and how the problem arises in the first place. Even diabetes has type 1 and type 2 to differentiate on how it was acquired. The criteria for autism also take into account such things. In order for a diagnosis of autism the traits must be "Symptoms must be present in the early developmental period (but may not become fully manifest until social demands exceed limited capacities, or may be masked by learned strategies in later life)", and "These disturbances are not better explained by intellectual disability (intellectual developmental disorder) or global developmental delay".

For a diagnosis of autism someone has to meet the criteria of the DSM V, and not all people meet those criteria. You must have all three areas of social communication issues, and at least 2 of the restricted, repetitive behaviors criteria. These criteria present at different levels* between autistic people, but the issues overlap in such a way that it has become effectively impossible to separate all of them.

*Some people are so hypersensitive to sounds they can't handle a room full of people talking without a meltdown. Others have no issues with this, but can't handle a room with bright lights. Others are hyposensitive to all of these things so seek out highly stimulating activities. There is a lot of variability in how these categories overlap and to what severity that happens. Some autistics are geniuses like Steven Hawking, and others have very low IQ's. Some are savants in one are while can barely function outside of that one area. These are just some examples of how autism can present in different people.
                          Still, explanations like the cartoon are why so many people claim they or their kids are autistic when they are not. Same as back when ADD (ADHD) was so prevalent back in the 80s. Seems like every kid I knew was diagnosed ADD by some therapist and put on Ritalin. It was an "epidemic". Now it seems to be Autism. Makes it hard for those who are actually Autistic.

Comment

Still, explanations like the cartoon are why so many people claim they or their kids are autistic when they are not. Same as back when ADD (ADHD) was so prevalent back in the 80s. Seems like every kid I knew was diagnosed ADD by some therapist and put on Ritalin. It was an "epidemic". Now it seems to be Autism. Makes it hard for those who are actually Autistic.
                            I still blame the teachers unions for those ADD/ADHD episodes - pretty much drugging kids to make them more manageable.

Comment

I don't agree that it is the fault of the cartoon, as I don't see any other way of explaining how differently autism can present in different people. Autism isn't like the flu, it is a neurodevelopmental disorder, and even small differences in brain "wiring" can have very different results. Places like Autism Speaks(a terrible "charity*") having been claiming an autism epidemic for decades now. However according to most research I've found autism is underdiagnosed, especially in women. Identity politics and a desire to feel "special" are much more to blame for people claiming to be autistic when they are not.

ADD and ADHD(they aren't entirely the same thing) and can be misdiagnosed, but that is true of any condition. I blame the misdiagnosing and other issues you mention on lazy and/or uninformed parents, teachers, and doctors. ADD/ADHD is highly comorbid with autism, and that can result in a person with a very different personality than a person with one or the other. .

*They have a very shady history, including supporting the Judge Rotenberg Center for Education a place that has been using shock treatments on autistic people. The devices they used were like the shock collars for dogs on steroids.

Comment

In the old days, it was "A-D-D" - and I'd say, "nope, it's B-A-D".
                                Minor profanity: Edited by a Moderator
                                Last edited by Cerebrum123; 09-27-2022, 06:08 AM.
                                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X