Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

"The Spectrum"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    NorrinRadd hi just quickly, was thinking about your flourescent lighting you mentioned. Is it not possible to get the lighting in your home changed or new lighting installed? Here in SA we have an option of warm or cool white led globes. I always choose warm white for my home. It gives off good lighting and has a cosy feel without that operating theatre morgue type horrible lighting of cool white. Lighting does affect mood and there have been times I haven't had a spare bulb to replace a blown one and my lounge was dim and depressing.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

      I don't agree that it is the fault of the cartoon, as I don't see any other way of explaining how differently autism can present in different people. Autism isn't like the flu, it is a neurodevelopmental disorder, and even small differences in brain "wiring" can have very different results. Places like Autism Speaks(a terrible "charity*") having been claiming an autism epidemic for decades now. However according to most research I've found autism is underdiagnosed, especially in women. Identity politics and a desire to feel "special" are much more to blame for people claiming to be autistic when they are not.

      ADD and ADHD(they aren't entirely the same thing) and can be misdiagnosed, but that is true of any condition. I blame the misdiagnosing and other issues you mention on lazy and/or uninformed parents, teachers, and doctors. ADD/ADHD is highly comorbid with autism, and that can result in a person with a very different personality than a person with one or the other. .

      *They have a very shady history, including supporting the Judge Rotenberg Center for Education a place that has been using shock treatments on autistic people. The devices they used were like the shock collars for dogs on steroids.
      Not saying its the fault of that cartoon but that the attitude that autism can include so many variables that basically anyone can claim (or be diagnosed) to be autistic is detrimental to those who actually have it. The cartoon exemplifies that. And I think some therapists use "autism" as a convenient box to stick someone in so they can claim they know what is wrong with someone. Like you say above, it is laziness. Autism seems to be the "in" diagnosis of the 21st century.


      Comment


      • #48
        Yeah, I'm neurodivergent, but not autistic. CHARGE syndrome has its own behavior phenotype. Even had a interview test and they didn't think I had ASD. I like learning about a large variety of topics.
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Sparko View Post

          Not saying its the fault of that cartoon but that the attitude that autism can include so many variables that basically anyone can claim (or be diagnosed) to be autistic is detrimental to those who actually have it. The cartoon exemplifies that. And I think some therapists use "autism" as a convenient box to stick someone in so they can claim they know what is wrong with someone. Like you say above, it is laziness. Autism seems to be the "in" diagnosis of the 21st century.
          This is still a severe misinterpretation of what the cartoon is claiming. The challenges that come with being autistic involve the categories they show, and there is quite a bit of variation under each category. Executive functioning, language skills, perception, motor skills, and sensory. All of those areas are affected in some way by having autism. Some of them can be enhanced in a sense, and others can be affected in a way that most people won't notice the struggles an autistic person has, or appear within the normal range of struggles. I'm hyperlexic and learned to speak, and read* at earlier points in life than most, but I'm not good with nonverbal communication. I also have rather flat affect, which means I don't show that much emotion outwardly or in my voice(I'm no Ben Stein, but I'm a bit monotone). I've learned to get better at reading body language, but it it doesn't come naturally to me. I'm hyper sensitive to sound, touch, taste, light and smell. This lets me perceive things other people don't notice(as well as easily allow me to be overwhelmed), but I am hyposensitive when it comes to my proprioception and certain aspects of interoception. Because of that I have a hard time telling when I am hungry, thirsty, or need to go to the bathroom. It also makes me somewhat clumsy. My executive functioning and motor skill difficulties appear within the normal range to others despite my executive functioning being impaired to a clinically significant extent and my clumsiness leading to a lot of problems with physical activity. For most of my life people just wrote off my struggles as me being an oversensitive, clumsy, and socially awkward kid.

          Other autistics can have a different profile in how those areas of life are affected. Like being hyposensitive to what I am hypersensitive to, or they might have such good proprioception that their coordination is effectively increased beyond what you would expect of the average person. They might be fairly average in senses, but have extreme executive function challenges with a lot of difficulty regarding working memory. If they are hyposensitive to lights and sounds they might seek out noisy, brightly lit areas. They could have struggles with verbal language, while not having as many issues with nonverbal communication. This extreme range in both directions has been referred to as a "spiky skillset".

          It's only recently that autism has been an ""in" diagnosis", and even then mostly on TikTok where people collect mental disorders like Pokemon. Even with the expanded definition of the DSM V**, you still only get around 2% of the world's population being diagnosed with it. Unlike ADD/ADHD you can't treat autism with medication, and a diagnosis of ASD doesn't offer a quick fix. The lazy and uninformed doctors aren't likely to just pick something they don't have an easy fix for.

          *Learning to read at just after 3 years old is quite a bit earlier than normal. I was also clearer in speech earlier than most.

          **Prior to that Asperger's Syndrome, and Autism were different things. I think PDD-NOS or Pervasive Development Disorder Not Otherwise Specified is now under the Autism Spectrum Disorder umbrella too.

          Comment


          • #50
            People with CHARGE have a higher score on some ASD diagnostic test than other deafblind people but average lower than autism. There's some overlap, but not everyone would qualify as autistic. Anxiety is common, but I would think Anxiety would be rational when one's senses aren't the greatest. Or everyone else has super senses.
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
              Yeah, I'm neurodivergent, but not autistic. CHARGE syndrome has its own behavior phenotype. Even had a interview test and they didn't think I had ASD. I like learning about a large variety of topics.
              I like learning in general too, but I have a tendency to fixate on one or two topics at a time. When it comes to "restricted interests" I have always has special interests in video games and animation as my primary topics, and then over time I have usually one or two that fluctuates over time. Usually just one.

              I've noticed some people seem to think neurodivergent just means autistic, and that neurotypical just means not autistic. Have you encountered people who are using those terms like that, or am I just stumbling on a minority of uninformed people?

              Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
              People with CHARGE have a higher score on some ASD diagnostic test than other deafblind people but average lower than autism. There's some overlap, but not everyone would qualify as autistic. Anxiety is common, but I would think Anxiety would be rational when one's senses aren't the greatest. Or everyone else has super senses.
              There is overlap between ASD and multiple different conditions. If you only have problems with sensory processing they call it sensory processing disorder. If you only have issues with communication they call it social communication disorder. If you only have problems with motor control, they call it dyspraxia. If you have all of these and more they call it autism.* ADHD has a bit of overlap with autism, and is highly comorbid with it. I also know that it is fairly common for women to be misdiagnosed as having BPD when they just have autism.

              *That link goes to a bit more in depth explanation of what they comic earlier was trying to explain. It still uses some visual aids to help with understanding.

              Edit. Having heightened senses is anxiety inducing too. Once in the middle of the night I smelled smoke and thought the house might be catching fire, but it turns out it was our neighbors having either a bonfire or BBQ a few houses away.
              Last edited by Cerebrum123; 09-28-2022, 08:18 AM.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post



                **Prior to that Asperger's Syndrome, and Autism were different things. I think PDD-NOS or Pervasive Development Disorder Not Otherwise Specified is now under the Autism Spectrum Disorder umbrella too.
                This. I am glad PDD-NOS has a recognition as being an ASD because it is. PDD-NOS was typically given to academically gifted children with social impairment and sensory disorders who didn't fit a "typical" Asperger's profile or it was given to children with symptoms too severe to be classified as Aspergers but not severe enough to be classified as fully "autistic." They are all ASD types but you mentioned earlier it can now be mild, moderate or severe with subclassifications.
                Also you are 100 percent correct about girls being misdiagnosed with BPD. BPD is real, however girls with adhd and/or autism get misdiagnosed because of emotional breakdowns due to sensory overload.

                A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                George Bernard Shaw

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Esther View Post
                  NorrinRadd hi just quickly, was thinking about your flourescent lighting you mentioned. Is it not possible to get the lighting in your home changed or new lighting installed? Here in SA we have an option of warm or cool white led globes. I always choose warm white for my home. It gives off good lighting and has a cosy feel without that operating theatre morgue type horrible lighting of cool white. Lighting does affect mood and there have been times I haven't had a spare bulb to replace a blown one and my lounge was dim and depressing.
                  I use the "warm" LED globes where possible. I'd need to get replacement fixtures for the overhead tube-style FLs, and I can't afford that currently.
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

                  Beige Federalist.

                  Nationalist Christian.

                  "Everybody is somebody's heretic."

                  Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

                  Proud member of the LGBFJB community.

                  Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

                  Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

                  Justice for Matthew Perna!

                  Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Catholicity View Post

                    This. I am glad PDD-NOS has a recognition as being an ASD because it is. PDD-NOS was typically given to academically gifted children with social impairment and sensory disorders who didn't fit a "typical" Asperger's profile or it was given to children with symptoms too severe to be classified as Aspergers but not severe enough to be classified as fully "autistic." They are all ASD types but you mentioned earlier it can now be mild, moderate or severe with subclassifications.
                    Also you are 100 percent correct about girls being misdiagnosed with BPD. BPD is real, however girls with adhd and/or autism get misdiagnosed because of emotional breakdowns due to sensory overload.
                    When I went for the evaluation earlier this year I was expecting a diagnosis of either ASD 1, or PDD-NOS. I didn't understand at first, but now I see why so many Autistics dislike functioning labels. They do tend to infantilize people with higher needs, and make it harder for people with so called "milder" forms of Autism to get the help they need. Before I was diagnosed people tended to think "you're smart, so you can't possibly be struggling as much as you say you are", and now after I've had some people condescendingly explain things as if I was a child.

                    I think most of the misdiagnoses of people who have ASD come from societal expectations. Girls tend to get lumped in with BPD or HPD. If someone is black and has some of the more common Autistic interests they are accused of "acting white". As a boy I was seen as an oversensitive crybaby and socially awkward. No one suspected I had anything like ASD because I was very good academically. I don't really do it any more, but I used to flap my hands, rock back and forth etc. My kindergarten teacher thought I was mocking one of the other students when I flapped my hands, but I had been doing that long before I met him*. When I told her I had been doing that before I got there she told me to stop doing it "because it is weird". That alongside the treatment I got from others I figured out pretty quickly how to hide a lot of the more obvious aspects of my autism. That probably just led to more problems in the long run, and now it is just physically hard to do most of my early stims.

                    *He was blind, and couldn't speak. I suspect he had Autism as well, but I don't know that for sure.

                    Comment

                    Related Threads

                    Collapse

                    Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by NorrinRadd, 09-23-2022, 09:05 PM
                    53 responses
                    219 views
                    0 likes
                    Last Post Cerebrum123  
                    Working...
                    X