Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Blood test to detect levels of depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood test to detect levels of depression

There now appears to be a blood test that detects depression, and the efficacy of treatment.

Source: Tech Exploris

Published in a new proof of concept study, researchers led by Mark Rasenick, University of Illinois Chicago distinguished professor of physiology and biophysics and psychiatry, have identified a biomarker in human platelets that tracks the extent of depression.

The research builds on previous studies by several investigators that have shown in humans and animal models that depression is consistent with decreased adenylyl cyclase — a small molecule inside the cell that is made in response to neurotransmitters such as serotonin and epinephrine.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

That's interesting.

They need to address the "Limitations" of the study.

They also need to address the different ways supposed depression manifests, e.g. sadness vs. anhedonia, lack of motivation, etc.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Interesting. Is the focus on a long-term sort of depression or can it distinguish between that and a temporary state?
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by NorinRadd
        They need to address the "Limitations" of the study.
        Source: Nature

This was a small pilot study, and the findings must be interpreted with caution. In addition, the study has several limitations that must be noted.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Which they duly note.

They also need to address the different ways supposed depression manifests, e.g. sadness vs. anhedonia, lack of motivation, etc.
        They went with the DSM5 definition of depression.

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        Interesting. Is the focus on a long-term sort of depression or can it distinguish between that and a temporary state?
        I would expect it would detect both of these, assuming they are caused by chemical imbalances.

Blessings,
        Lee
        "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment