Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Roadside Memorials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Because apotropaic is the correct term for what rogue06 was describing when he wrote "in part to ward off evil spirits".

One word instead of five.
    Blatherskite.

Comment

Because apotropaic is the correct term for what rogue06 was describing when he wrote "in part to ward off evil spirits".

One word instead of five.
      But most folks will know what I meant without having to resort to a dictionary -- which sorta kinda defeats the purpose of using apotropaic.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        But most folks will know what I meant without having to resort to a dictionary -- which sorta kinda defeats the purpose of using apotropaic.
        Once gain, my little story about communication....

While eating breakfast in the local greasy spoon, I overheard a couple of little old ladies at the next table bragging about their pastor, whom I knew.

At one point, one of them gushed "why, he's so smart, most of the time I don't understand a word he's saying!"

So much for communication! No matter how smart you are, there's an art to communicating in a way that's clear to your intended audience.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

when you're sober and/or clear headed

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

when you're sober and/or clear headed

This is about me, isn't it?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

This is about me, isn't it?

For once, yes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

For once, yes.
                Big meanie

smiley runaway.gif

Comment

• Scotty, activate the quantum grammar structures! If we can't cogitate the dilithium verb tenses the entire word core will implode!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Scotty, activate the quantum grammar structures! If we can't cogitate the dilithium verb tenses the entire word core will implode!
                    Word!

Comment

• Note to self: Don't revive any old threads

Comment

• Originally posted by Fatty Arbuckle View Post
                        Note to self: Don't revive any old threads
                        Meh. It was nearly a month after that the cemetery exploded so it can hardly be blamed on you.

Still, next time, use one of these just to be on the safe side

Zombie Thread.jpg

Comment

Meh. It was nearly a month after that the cemetery exploded so it can hardly be blamed on you.

Still, next time, use one of these just to be on the safe side

Zombie Thread.jpg
                          I didn't notice when it happened. I just knew that I posted in a nice but inactive thread in the memorial garden, it caught someone's attention, and after... well, I honestly have no idea what all of that was... it ended up in the psych ward.

By the way, whatever happened to the locker room? I remember all of the posts that went off the rails use to end up there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fatty Arbuckle View Post

I didn't notice when it happened. I just knew that I posted in a nice but inactive thread in the memorial garden, it caught someone's attention, and after... well, I honestly have no idea what all of that was... it ended up in the psych ward.

By the way, whatever happened to the locker room? I remember all of the posts that went off the rails use to end up there.
                            The padded room (psych ward) is pretty much for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                              Is it just me, or does anyone else find these disturbing? I don't recall ever seeing them when I lived in California. But out here in Missouri, apparently, people will erect a cross with a person's name on it, make a sort of shrine on the side of a road, where a loved one died in a car accident.

Personally, I don't want to remember when/where a person died prematurely. If I was going to build a shrine at all (which is unlikely) it would be at some place they loved.

Anyone else?
                              Roadside, rail-side and cliff-side memorials are quite common here (UK), mostly with flowers.
                              And I have noticed that they can be renewed on anniversaries.

Comment

Of course they are. No one wants to see anyone least of all someone they love suffer unnecessarily. Hence my support for assisted suicide. When my time comes, if it is a potentially terminal condition, I shall avail myself of Dignitas.
                                How much would Dignitas charge to assist a death?

Comment