Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Roadside Memorials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I think it was obviously meant tongue in cheek but that is the self-evident implication.
    Agreed, absolutely -- it's her totally inappropriate way of trying to be clever.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

You really are a moron.
      More is better, yes?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
        It was intended as a jocular [albeit perhaps tactless] remark. Nor did CP appear overly exercised by it when I posted it.
        Yeah, nothing you do or write gets me 'exercised' in the least, contrary to your previous assessments where I supposedly get quite upset at some of your rancor.

If I have given offence I can only write "sorry".
        But you're not, so don't lie.

Although I will add that CP can be abusively unpleasant in his remarks to me none of which are ever challenged or questioned by you; and that another contributor has repeatedly referred to me as a cancer or tumour and once wrote that they would dance on my grave, again none of which has ever prompted either yourself or any other moderator to question their language or edit their comments.
        Stop being such a dolt. It recently APPEARED that you wrote a post that was actually in good faith, and I responded accordingly.
        Do more of that.

That might strike some as a somewhat partisan approach
        Nothing to do with partisanship --- act like a , be treated like a
        Post in good faith - and see what happens.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Do you think this makes you look smart - providing quotes that have nothing to do with the current topic?
          All it does is make you look like somebody who desperately wants to be relevant.

Roadside Memorials are part of how people deal with grief when they've lost a loved one.
          Maybe that's it --- maybe you've never been loved.
          Perhaps, if you stopped acting like a know-it-all ...
          As I said, she doesn't seem to understand human emotions. The only people I know like that are called sociopaths.

from: https://www.tikvahlake.com/blog/what-is-a-sociopath/

Sociopaths prefer to play mental games and undermine their victims with manipulation tactics and deception for personal gain. This allows them to maintain a charming façade and continue to enjoy any benefits from mentally abusing their victims without consequence

Who does that sound like?

1. Lack of Empathy
          This is the hallmark of a sociopath. They are hyper-aware of their feelings and needs but do not show any regard for others’ feelings. They are unable to recognise the emotions of others, the whole concept is foreign to them. It is not only a lack of caring, they are just unable to process others’ feelings. This lack of conscience and inability to feel remorse is what makes sociopaths, potentially, quite dangerous.

again, who does that sound like?

Comment

Once again, against my better judgment, I'm going to assume this is one of the extraordinarily rare times you are posting in good faith, and respond accordingly.

As a Christian, I - and many many other Christians I know - actually agree that sorrow or grief is "selfish", and willingly admit it.
            Particularly where the departed had gone through pain and suffering, as we would not want them to "stay here" just because we would miss them.
            We grieve because WE miss the person.

In the case where the departed was a Christian, we have joy that they are with the Lord.
            It's actually possible to have both feelings --- sorrow because we miss our loved one, and joy that they are no longer suffering.

Scripture Verse: 1 Thessalonians 4 (NIV)

13 Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope.

© Copyright Original Source

We (Christians) still grieve, but not like those who have no hope of ever seeing their loved one(s) again.
            We grieve because we miss them "for a time", but look forward to being reunited with them in eternity.

In the case of the Roadside Memorial, it's more challenging, because there was no illness or pain to indicate that they may be passing.
            They just suddenly are gone.
            The word that describes this is bittersweet. And no I don't mean chocolate.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              The word that describes this is bittersweet. And no I don't mean chocolate.
              EGGzackly, which is why nearly every Christian funeral over which I preside turns out to be a delicious medley of both tears and laughter.

Comment

Do you think this makes you look smart - providing quotes that have nothing to do with the current topic?
                All it does is make you look like somebody who desperately wants to be relevant.

Roadside Memorials are part of how people deal with grief when they've lost a loved one.
                Maybe that's it --- maybe you've never been loved.
                Perhaps, if you stopped acting like a know-it-all ...
                Remember how on the Beverley Hillbillies when the hometown mayor was on and how he would keep throwing out famous quotes marginally associated with what was going on at that moment, and they thought he was brilliant?

We aren't the Beverley Hillbillies

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

As I said, she doesn't seem to understand human emotions. The only people I know like that are called sociopaths.

from: https://www.tikvahlake.com/blog/what-is-a-sociopath/

Sociopaths prefer to play mental games and undermine their victims with manipulation tactics and deception for personal gain. This allows them to maintain a charming façade and continue to enjoy any benefits from mentally abusing their victims without consequence

Who does that sound like?

1. Lack of Empathy
                  This is the hallmark of a sociopath. They are hyper-aware of their feelings and needs but do not show any regard for others’ feelings. They are unable to recognise the emotions of others, the whole concept is foreign to them. It is not only a lack of caring, they are just unable to process others’ feelings. This lack of conscience and inability to feel remorse is what makes sociopaths, potentially, quite dangerous.

again, who does that sound like?

But is it genuine? Or is it simply the way her character acts?

Comment

EGGzackly, which is why nearly every Christian funeral over which I preside turns out to be a delicious medley of both tears and laughter.
                    Most good eulogies are a mix.

Comment

But is it genuine? Or is it simply the way her character acts?
                      why-not-both.jpg

Comment

Once again, against my better judgment, I'm going to assume this is one of the extraordinarily rare times you are posting in good faith, and respond accordingly.

As a Christian, I - and many many other Christians I know - actually agree that sorrow or grief is "selfish", and willingly admit it.
                        Particularly where the departed had gone through pain and suffering, as we would not want them to "stay here" just because we would miss them. We grieve because WE miss the person
                        And with that I agree. Fifteen years ago a very dear friend had a stroke that have left him totally incapacitated. He had always been a great outdoor person, skier, rock climber, and hiker and to be left completely paralysed as well reliant on others for his most basic needs would have been a torture for him. A few weeks after that stroke he suffered a fatal heart attack. And that we all felt was, for him, the best thing to have happened.

However, that has not prevented us from still greatly missing him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        In the case where the departed was a Christian, we have joy that they are with the Lord.
                        And those of other faiths who also believe in an after-life will take the same comfort from that, even though I could not do so.

It's actually possible to have both feelings --- sorrow because we miss our loved one, and joy that they are no longer suffering.
                        That is true even for non Christians

We (Christians) still grieve, but not like those who have no hope of ever seeing their loved one(s) again.
                        We grieve because we miss them "for a time", but look forward to being reunited with them in eternity.
                        And that gives Christians and other faiths that believe in some form of afterlife comfort. However, for myself, it is final. I cannot believe I will ever see my parents, friends, family or my partner and children in some future eternity.

However, I do recognise that our physical remains go back into the various cycles that will assist in producing new life.

In the case of the Roadside Memorial, it's more challenging, because there was no illness or pain to indicate that they may be passing.
                        They just suddenly are gone.
                        And that brings me back to my earlier question which includes the fact that these individuals have died prematurely - before their allotted span. And the beliefs surrounding that sudden, premature, and violent death have very deep cultural roots.

In the Classical world such people were termed the Aôroi i.e. those who had died before time, cheated of their full span of life. And it was believed that because they had not been able to enjoy their life to its natural conclusion their spirits/ghosts were restless and stayed back to haunt the living [and could also be malevolent] in their envy of those still alive.

Likewise those who had died by violence the Bi[ai]othanatoi [particularly murder victims and suicides] were believed to be among the most resentful of spirits.

There was also a deep belief that the spirit [or at least part of the spirit] haunted the place of death, even though the corpse was elsewhere.

And such spirits needed to be propitiated by offerings and gifts.

"It ain't necessarily so
                        The things that you're liable
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life
                        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

As are Humanist funerals. Those emotions are not specific to Christians.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

On the contrary I fully understand human emotions. However, I also understand that some of our behaviours regarding rites of passage have ancient antecedents.

"It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

And with that I agree. Fifteen years ago a very dear friend had a stroke that have left him totally incapacitated. He had always been a great outdoor person, skier, rock climber, and hiker and to be left completely paralysed as well reliant on others for his most basic needs would have been a torture for him. A few weeks after that stroke he suffered a fatal heart attack. And that we all felt was, for him, the best thing to have happened.

However, that has not prevented us from still greatly missing him.
                              My cousin who I've referred to as the saint was a nurse as well as being a devout Christian. When her mother became terminally ill she was in terrible agony. Her spasms were so bad she literally broke her back. My cousin told me she actually prayed to God to please take her quickly then cried for days when she did die.

Emotions are all jumbled in times like that.

Comment

On the contrary I fully understand human emotions. However, I also understand that some of our behaviours regarding rites of passage have ancient antecedents.
                                The motives for doing something during the Stone Age don't necessarily transfer to today. They may have made fires in part to ward off evil spirits, but I seriously doubt that is a reason today.

Comment