Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Roadside Memorials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Do you know how long its been since you correctified my grammar?

I started to think you no longer cared.
    That actually happened to me in real life.
    A fellow pastor was leaving my office, and I called out "Drive careful!"
    He stepped back into my office and said "lee"

I said, "who's LEE?"

He said -- Drive CarefulLEE!

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      HA, what exactly do you have against roadside memorials? Do they bother you for some reason? I can't imagine why else you would be harping on the subject the way you are.

Why should you care why people make these little harmless remembrances?
      It's like she has this totally screwed-up notion that, since we believe in Heaven, we'd do what it takes to get there sooner.

I really don't think she understands what the Christian life is really all about.

And, yes, I do believe she was implying that I should commit suicide, but when called on it, she's too much a coward to admit it.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

It's like she has this totally screwed-up notion that, since we believe in Heaven, we'd do what it takes to get there sooner.

I really don't think she understands what the Christian life is really all about.

And, yes, I do believe she was implying that I should commit suicide, but when called on it, she's too much a coward to admit it.
        Yup. But I knew she'd deny it when asked. After she beat around the bush for a while, of course.

Really unacceptable behaviour for the site.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

That actually happened to me in real life.
          A fellow pastor was leaving my office, and I called out "Drive careful!"
          He stepped back into my office and said "lee"

I said, "who's LEE?"

He said -- Drive CarefulLEE!
          Should've told him "Oh. Well I meant 'ler'."

"Who's Ler?"

"Drive CarefulLER. I saw you pull out of the parking lot last week."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Should've told him "Oh. Well I meant 'ler'."

"Who's Ler?"

"Drive CarefulLER. I saw you pull out of the parking lot last week."
            Actually, I said - YOU'RE driving, not me!

Comment

Yup. But I knew she'd deny it when asked. After she beat around the bush for a while, of course.

She was already playing in that sewer, so I don't see any other fitting explanation.

Comment

Yeah, I'd love to see her try to wiggle out of this....
                Here, she's obviously talking about us not taking action (suicide) to "spend an eternity in paradise" sooner...
                Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                And as I noted earlier, even those of you who believe you will spend an eternity in paradise with your deceased loved ones are not exactly queueing up to go there and will generally avail yourselves of every possible medical process to prevent yourselves from going there.

It was so stupid, that I pointed out...
                Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Unsubstantiated opinion detected. I am ready at any moment, and have a DNR to prevent what you're claiming.

To which her reply was....
                Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                Off you go then.

If that's not implying I should end my life, what other possible explanation is there?

It was a horribly inappropriate comment, but when called on it, she's too big a dishonest coward to admit that's what she was implying.

Comment

Here, she's obviously talking about us not taking action (suicide) to "spend an eternity in paradise" sooner...

If that's not implying I should end my life, what other possible explanation is there?

It was a horribly inappropriate comment, but when called on it, she's too big a dishonest coward to admit that's what she was implying.
                  Yup. She stuck her foot in her mouth from the get go.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I think it was obviously meant tongue in cheek but that is the self-evident implication.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I already read the exchange. If you didn't mean what I, and probably others, thought you meant, then what did you mean.
                      It was intended as a jocular [albeit perhaps tactless] remark. Nor did CP appear overly exercised by it when I posted it.

If I have given offence I can only write "sorry".

Although I will add that CP can be abusively unpleasant in his remarks to me none of which are ever challenged or questioned by you; and that another contributor has repeatedly referred to me as a cancer or tumour and once wrote that they would dance on my grave, again none of which has ever prompted either yourself or any other moderator to question their language or edit their comments.

That might strike some as a somewhat partisan approach
                      Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 07-15-2022, 05:47 AM.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      The things that you're liable
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life
                      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

HA, what exactly do you have against roadside memorials? Do they bother you for some reason? I can't imagine why else you would be harping on the subject the way you are.

Why should you care why people make these little harmless remembrances?
                        Why do you assume [premised on what I have written] that I have something against these memorials/shrines?

I merely made an observation that the underlying motives for such memorials/shrines have a much deeper cultural resonance.

The question pertains as to why people feel the need to create such memorials/shrines at the exact place [i.e. the road-side] where someone they loved died and often leave what are tantamount to grave goods

After all the loved ones' remains [ashes or grave] are elsewhere and, if a grave, can be visited.

So what underlies that need to commemorate the place where that individual [or individuals] prematurely met their death?
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Do you think this makes you look smart - providing quotes that have nothing to do with the current topic?
                          All it does is make you look like somebody who desperately wants to be relevant.

Roadside Memorials are part of how people deal with grief when they've lost a loved one.
                          Maybe that's it --- maybe you've never been loved.
                          Perhaps, if you stopped acting like a know-it-all ...
                          As I have just written to mossrose what drives that need to leave a shrine/memorial at the exact place where the person[s] died prematurely?

With regard to losing loved ones, both my parents are dead, as are some other family members, as well as several close friends; and while I have a different approach towards death from that of many here that does not mean I have not mourned.

My own opinion is that grief is a rather selfish emotion. We can do nothing for the person who has died [whatever beliefs we may hold about an afterlife]. We are really grieving for ourselves because that person is no longer present to talk to, be with, and share things.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Then again, Chesterton never met you.
                            Nor I he. He is not a writer I generally care for but that comment seemed appropriate given the comment "Nobody cares".

It is evident that some are completely uninterested in what are actually very interesting subjects.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

So? If nobody knows some obscure reason that no longer exists then it is not relevant.
                              There are cultural antecedents for flowers/flowering plants being associated with certain rites of passage.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Like mossy's telling you that it was to cover up the smell.
                              She was not "telling" me, she made a suggestion..

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              If Neanderthals used flowers because they somehow thought flowers would keep the dead dead (there is absolutely no way anyone could ever know why they used flowers as they left behind no written language) that has nothing to do with why we put flowers on graves today. To claim so is ignorant.
                              We do not know why Neanderthals put flowers/flowering plants in the graves of the dead. We can only speculate as to their reasons.

However, we give floral tributes at funerals and place them on graves.

The association of flowers/flowering plants with death [and marriage] is something that goes back a very long way in certain human societies and certainly predates any [much later] Christian [or indeed contemporary] reasons for doing so.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

As I have just written to mossrose what drives that need to leave a shrine/memorial at the exact place where the person[s] died prematurely?

With regard to losing loved ones, both my parents are dead, as are some other family members, as well as several close friends; and while I have a different approach towards death from that of many here that does not mean I have not mourned.

My own opinion is that grief is a rather selfish emotion. We can do nothing for the person who has died [whatever beliefs we may hold about an afterlife]. We are really grieving for ourselves because that person is no longer present to talk to, be with, and share things.
                                Once again, against my better judgment, I'm going to assume this is one of the extraordinarily rare times you are posting in good faith, and respond accordingly.

As a Christian, I - and many many other Christians I know - actually agree that sorrow or grief is "selfish", and willingly admit it.
                                Particularly where the departed had gone through pain and suffering, as we would not want them to "stay here" just because we would miss them.
                                We grieve because WE miss the person.

In the case where the departed was a Christian, we have joy that they are with the Lord.
                                It's actually possible to have both feelings --- sorrow because we miss our loved one, and joy that they are no longer suffering.

Scripture Verse: 1 Thessalonians 4 (NIV)

13 Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope.

© Copyright Original Source

We (Christians) still grieve, but not like those who have no hope of ever seeing their loved one(s) again.
                                We grieve because we miss them "for a time", but look forward to being reunited with them in eternity.

In the case of the Roadside Memorial, it's more challenging, because there was no illness or pain to indicate that they may be passing.
                                They just suddenly are gone.

Comment