Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Roadside Memorials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

The symbolism of flowers predates our society.
    Different flowers have come to symbolize different things. There are entire books on what different flowers symbolize including different variants and colors.

For instance of the many types of Rhododendron there are, ones with black flowers symbolize death, whereas azaleas (my mother's favorite and a type of rhododendron) typically symbolizes things like passion but in China, they symbolize women.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

So? If nobody knows some obscure reason that no longer exists then it is not relevant. Like mossy's telling you that it was to cover up the smell. They may well have been used that way at one time in the past, but not only are they not used for that today, but most people have no idea that is why they were used so it could not possibly be the motivation for them giving flowers today.

If Neanderthals used flowers because they somehow thought flowers would keep the dead dead (there is absolutely no way anyone could ever know why they used flowers as they left behind no written language) that has nothing to do with why we put flowers on graves today. To claim so is ignorant.
      My advice to you is that you need to do some background reading on comparative religion and then perhaps some anthropology.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Different flowers have come to symbolize different things. There are entire books on what different flowers symbolize including different variants and colors.

For instance of the many types of Rhododendron there are, ones with black flowers symbolize death, whereas azaleas (my mother's favorite and a type of rhododendron) typically symbolizes things like passion but in China, they symbolize women.
        That is a much later construct.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

My advice to you is that you need to do some background reading on comparative religion and then perhaps some anthropology.
          Ah the typical H_A dodge when you realize you have lost another argument. Assert your snobbery and pretend to be better than the person who just bested you.

You seem to be the one lacking in knowledge on this topic. And even understanding human motivations. Sad really.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Ah the typical H_A dodge when you realize you have lost another argument. Assert your snobbery and pretend to be better than the person who just bested you.

You seem to be the one lacking in knowledge on this topic. And even understanding human motivations. Sad really.
            Not at all. We have all been guilty of debating on a board that is not strictly intended for debating, as was pointed out a few hours ago by rogue06

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Moderated By: rogue06

This has all been fun and all but it appears that we forgot that this is not a debate area

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
            Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

If you wish to continue this exchange, feel free to start a thread on a board to which I can post.
            Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 07-14-2022, 01:50 PM.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Not at all. We have all been guilty of debating on a board that is not strictly intended for debating, as was pointed out a few hours ago by rogue06

If you wish to continue this exchange, feel free to start a thread on a board to which I can post.
              Since this shouldn't have been in the memorial garden in the first place, I have moved it to Psychology.

Comment

We are all afraid of dying because there are so many horrible ways by which to do so. Do you relish meeting your end trapped in a burning building? Or drowning in a flood? Or dying in a plane crash? Or starving to death or dying of thirst? I suspect not.

Death is not something I fear as I cannot experience it.
                Ooooh. Why didn't you say earlier that you were referring to the process?

Nope. I don't care. Whatever brings my demise will be temporary. It will end, as it will for you, too.

However, I know where I'm going. And I also know where you're going. And the twain won't meet unless you repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Off you go then.
                  I asked you this already, and you seem to have ignored me.

Are you suggesting that CP take his own life?

Please do not ignore me. I am asking as a moderator.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Nearly 20 posts after I put that notice up, and it's only when you find yourself boxed in that you bring it up and hide behind it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

That is a much later construct.
                      WHO CARES!!!!!

the Roadside Memorials happening now have to do with CURRENT culture.

Flowers or objects are left at the site (usually adjacent to where a loved one was killed by a vehicle) because they wish to honor the memory of that love done.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

This thread is about ROADSIDE MEMORIALS in the US.
                        It was NOT started so you could Google a bunch of stuff and try really hard to sound smarter than you are.

It is about people honoring the memory of their loved ones who are deceased, usually by a vehicle accident.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

WHO CARES!!!!!

the Roadside Memorials happening now have to do with CURRENT culture.

Flowers or objects are left at the site (usually adjacent to where a loved one was killed by a vehicle) because they wish to honor the memory of that love done.
                          But what if they built roadside pyramids? Then what? huh?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

But what if they built roadside pyramids? Then what? huh?
                            You really are a moron.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Nearly 20 posts after I put that notice up, and it's only when you find yourself boxed in that you bring it up and hide behind it.
                              We were all guilty.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I asked you this already, and you seem to have ignored me.

Are you suggesting that CP take his own life?

Please do not ignore me. I am asking as a moderator.
                                I suspect he does not have any desire to do so - despite his belief that he will have an eternity of bliss awaiting hm.
                                Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 07-14-2022, 04:59 PM.
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X