Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Roadside Memorials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I really really wish you were capable of actual discussion in good faith more than just one post every six months or so.
    Those attitudes I mentioned underpin the creation of roadside shrines. I am quite prepared for a serious exchange on this, however, it is a very complex topic.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

No of course I was not . Anyway it would be contrary to his religious beliefs.
      What did you mean, then?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Those attitudes I mentioned underpin the creation of roadside shrines.
        Nobody cares.

I am quite prepared for a serious exchange on this, however, it is a very complex topic.
        Write it in your journal.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post

What did you mean, then?
          Here are the comments we exchanged for you.

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
          And as I noted earlier, even those of you who believe you will spend an eternity in paradise with your deceased loved ones are not exactly queueing up to go there and will generally avail yourselves of every possible medical process to prevent yourselves from going there.
          Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Unsubstantiated opinion detected. I am ready at any moment, and have a DNR to prevent what you're claiming.
          And to which I replied in response to the specific phrase "I am ready at any moment"

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Off you go then.

"It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Nobody cares.

Not a writer I would generally quote but he seems quite apposite in this instance:

"There are no uninteresting things, only uninterested people" - G K Chesterton
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

And to which I replied in response to the specific phrase "I am ready at any moment"

I already read the exchange. If you didn't mean what I, and probably others, thought you meant, then what did you mean.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Not a writer I would generally quote but he seems quite apposite in this instance:

Do you think this makes you look smart - providing quotes that have nothing to do with the current topic?
                All it does is make you look like somebody who desperately wants to be relevant.

Roadside Memorials are part of how people deal with grief when they've lost a loved one.
                Maybe that's it --- maybe you've never been loved.
                Perhaps, if you stopped acting like a know-it-all ...
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You really are a moron.
                  Finally.

Next time believe me when I tells ya.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yet you should at least ask why people erect roadside shrines at the precise point where their loved one[s] met their end. Why do you think that is? What do you think might be the underlying [and unconscious] impetus?

As I have previously noted, attitudes towards the dead and death are very deep rooted in human cultures.
                    A large number are done as warnings by family and friends to others to drive safe.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You have an uncanny ability to gather quotes and assemble them in such a way that they prove or demonstrate absolutely nothing, but you offer them in lieu of an actual answer.

Kinda like a .

Comment

Then again, Chesterton never met you.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          A large number are done as warnings by family and friends to others to drive safe.
                          ly

Comment

• HA, what exactly do you have against roadside memorials? Do they bother you for some reason? I can't imagine why else you would be harping on the subject the way you are.

Why should you care why people make these little harmless remembrances?

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              That's why TxDoT allows them to remain - they are often at dangerous intersections, or portions of highway that are dangerous, and serve several purposes...

A) Allow the family, friends and loved ones a memorial to honor their loved one(s)
                              2) A testimony to others that something bad happened there, and to be careful
                              c) It's part of the grieving process for persons whose loved one(s) was/were taken from them prematurely.

Comment

ly
                                Do you know how long its been since you correctified my grammar?

I started to think you no longer cared.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X