Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Roadside Memorials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Ooooh. Why didn't you say earlier that you were referring to the process?
    We cannot experience death, only dying

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    Nope. I don't care. Whatever brings my demise will be temporary. It will end, as it will for you, too.
    It could be quite protracted and painful.

I suppose looked at one way, everything is temporary.

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    However, I know where I'm going. And I also know where you're going. And the twain won't meet unless you repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.
    You believe you know where you are going. That is quite different from actually knowing - as Shakespeare observed death is "The undiscovere'd country, from whose bourn No traveller returns".
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I suspect he does not - despite his belief that he will have an eternity of bliss awaiting hm.

You suspect he does not what?

I asked you if YOU were suggesting that CP take his own like. Can you not read English?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

WHO CARES!!!!!

the Roadside Memorials happening now have to do with CURRENT culture.

Flowers or objects are left at the site (usually adjacent to where a loved one was killed by a vehicle) because they wish to honor the memory of that love done.
        Current culture does not occur in a historical vacuum.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

This thread is about ROADSIDE MEMORIALS in the US.
          It was NOT started so you could Google a bunch of stuff and try really hard to sound smarter than you are.

It is about people honoring the memory of their loved ones who are deceased, usually by a vehicle accident.
          Yet you should at least ask why people erect roadside shrines at the precise point where their loved one[s] met their end. Why do you think that is? What do you think might be the underlying [and unconscious] impetus?

As I have previously noted, attitudes towards the dead and death are very deep rooted in human cultures.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post

You suspect he does not what
            I asked you if YOU were suggesting that CP take his own like. Can you not read English?
            No of course I was not . Anyway it would be contrary to his religious beliefs.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

It is not.

I'm ready to go at any moment, as are many Christians I know. I actually am more concerned about "living too long" than I am about dying.
              That is something that concerns many people. Hence the tragedy of immortality. that we find in various novels and dramas.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I know our culture, and MANY of these roadside memorials are part of the Catholic culture.
              Certainly religious shrines are regularly found in Catholic countries.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              (By the way, "ghost stories" around the campfire is a great tradition, meant to scare people in fun -- I know you won't get that)
              You do not appear to have much knowledge about folklore.

There is a far greater cultural attitude towards the dead than a good scary story "around the campfire".

However, why do we create [and often enjoy] such stories and in such circumstances? What is the appeal?
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I suspect he does not have any desire to do so - despite his belief that he will have an eternity of bliss awaiting hm.
                You really don't know as much about Christianity as you pretend, or you're just ing again.

We believe we are saved to serve, and there is appointed unto man a time to die -- in the meantime, the biblical admonition from Christ is "occupy til I come".

This life isn't even an eyeblink compared to eternity, so I'll gladly fill my time on earth until it's over.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Current culture does not occur in a historical vacuum.
                  Nor does it require some knowed-up internet to drag every instance of ancient history in to make things more convoluted than they need be.

You have been told what the roadside memorials are --- now all you're doing is ing.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Nor does it require some knowed-up internet to drag every instance of ancient history in to make things more convoluted than they need be.

You have been told what the roadside memorials are --- now all you're doing is ing.
                    It is the historical continuum of ideas and beliefs that leads to the creation of these roadside shrines.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You really don't know as much about Christianity as you pretend, or you're just ing again.

We believe we are saved to serve, and there is appointed unto man a time to die -- in the meantime, the biblical admonition from Christ is "occupy til I come".

This life isn't even an eyeblink compared to eternity, so I'll gladly fill my time on earth until it's over.
                      I know that some Christians consider suicide to be a sin [not ignoring it is also a tragedy]. Assisted suicide is another issue.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

That is something that concerns many people. Hence the tragedy of immortality. that we find in various novels and dramas.

Certainly religious shrines are regularly found in Catholic countries.

You do not appear to have much knowledge about folklore.

There is a far greater cultural attitude towards the dead than a good scary story "around the campfire".

However, why do we create [and often enjoy] such stories and in such circumstances? What is the appeal?
                        You must really be a miserable lonely old woman to have to drag everything into "I'm so much smarter than you people" and give us these goofy totally unrelated "history lessons".

Comment

It is the historical continuum of ideas and beliefs that leads to the creation of these roadside shrines.
                          When a loved one is standing by one of these memorials, I'm sure that's the most important thing in their head.

Comment

You must really be a miserable lonely old woman to have to drag everything into "I'm so much smarter than you people" and give us these goofy totally unrelated "history lessons".

Why is showing some understanding of deep cultural attitudes something to be derided? Have you no curiosity about these beliefs and practises and why people act as they do?
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Yet you should at least ask why people erect roadside shrines at the precise point where their loved one[s] met their end. Why do you think that is? What do you think might be the underlying [and unconscious] impetus?

As I have previously noted, attitudes towards the dead and death are very deep rooted in human cultures.
                              I really really wish you were capable of actual discussion in good faith more than just one post every six months or so.

Comment

Why is showing some understanding of deep cultural attitudes something to be derided? Have you no curiosity about these beliefs and practises and why people act as they do?
                                Not from you.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X