Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Roadside Memorials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I think various accounts of soldiers and cowboys being struck by a dozen arrows and surviving with little or no permanent damage speaks volumes about the effectiveness of arrows shot from beyond effective range. As you said, they can still be lethal if they hit the right spot or cause an infection, but other than that...

It is just basic ballistic physics that less momentum means less impact and less damage.

What we call the first floor the Brits refer to as the ground floor. For them the first floor is what we call the second floor.
    I did not know that one. I will retract my previous statement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

It is just basic ballistic physics that less momentum means less impact and less damage.
      There is another factor to consider... mass. An arrow or crossbow bolt tends to weigh a good deal more than most bullets and something weighing (just making up numbers for illustrative purposes) a pound that hits you at 20 mph will do more damage than something weighing an ounce hitting you at 20 mph.

Btw, basically grabbing an arrow by the shaft and yanking it out is not a good way to remove it. They tended to secure the arrowhead with sinew[1] which holds it fast -- until it gets wet. And it gets soaked with blood so when you yank on the shaft it tends to leave the arrowhead in the wound and now requires someone digging into the wound to extract it.

1. I should note that I'm specifically referring to arrows used by various Native Americans

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

There is another factor to consider... mass. An arrow or crossbow bolt tends to weigh a good deal more than most bullets and something weighing (just making up numbers for illustrative purposes) a pound that hits you at 20 mph will do more damage than something weighing an ounce hitting you at 20 mph.
        True but any projectile will lose momentum and therefore have a weaker impact the further it travels. Still, the increased weight increases the amount of impact and thus the damage when hit is higher.

Btw, basically grabbing an arrow by the shaft and yanking it out is not a good way to remove it. They tended to secure the arrowhead with sinew[1] which holds it fast -- until it gets wet. And it gets soaked with blood so when you yank on the shaft it tends to leave the arrowhead in the wound and now requires someone digging into the wound to extract it.

1. I should note that I'm specifically referring to arrows used by various Native Americans
        Yeah, like many things it is often worse to yank it out than to leave it in and go to the emergency room.

Comment

Yeah, like many things it is often worse to yank it out than to leave it in and go to the emergency room.
          There was a medical reality-TV episode my wife was watching a couple years ago that stuck with me. A guy walked into the ER and had a nail in his chest from a nail gun accident. The nurse noticed the nail was pulsating, and all heck broke loose. Although the guy was sitting on the gurney and chatting away, seemingly not terribly concerned and not much blood (that I noticed), the nail apparently lodged in his heart - and could conceivably pop out without warning. I never did see the outcome of that one, although I was told he survived.

And then there was Steve Irwin's accident.

Comment

What we call the first floor the Brits refer to as the ground floor. For them the first floor is what we call the second floor.
            Kinda reminds me of hard drives - the first one is Drive 0, and the second one is Drive 1. (in the old days)

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You cited them as a source, but they did not cite their sources for the claim they made. This means they did not provide a citation for their claim. They didn't even name the engineer in question. That is very shoddy work for a paper like that from a government institution.

You have a bad habit of attributing claims to me I did not make. I never said it couldn't be lethal at that range, just that most of its momentum has been lost by then and that reduces the capacity for lethality drastically. That doesn't remove the possibility of injury. They are sharp, unlike shotgun slugs, so they can do more damage at a lower momentum than slugs. Firing one within its effective range on the other hand is going to be much more lethal and cause worse injuries than one shot at max range. Any object of a sufficient size dropped from high enough can cause damage to a person but that doesn't equate to being highly lethal. You keep trying to equate the danger of a shot within effective range to those outside it.

Oh, and dropping a crossbow bolt from the first floor would just be dropping it on the ground. I'm pretty sure you meant the second floor. That could still hurt due to crossbow bolts being sharp, but it would likely cause some minor cuts in most cases. Even dropping it from the second floor wouldn't be likely to cause much of an injury but it would still be capable of hurting someone.

I am using my intelligence. You need to use better reading comprehension and logic than you have been exhibiting.

*This is assuming it maintained enough momentum to reach an artery at that distance.
              Masses of waffle.
              Armchair waffle.

Comment

• Originally posted by eider View Post

Masses of waffle.
                Armchair waffle.
                I'm not the one equivocating here, you have been doing that and attributing positions to me that I do not hold.

Comment