Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Roadside Memorials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I always say when I see a crucifix, but never to a person wearing one, “I’m sorry your god is still dead. Mine is alive!"
    Meh. For me it is little different than the folks who are obsessed with the baby Jesus. I never really thought of it as "I'm sorry your god is an infant. Mine grew up."

Both images are symbolic of an instrumental event in Christ's life, but they are just that and not Christ Himself. They're symbolic of him but obvious not the same as Him. I think most of the folks wearing a crucifix or who have a permanent manager display out understand that. Sort of like when someone seeks to sum up their religious philosophy by saying that they focus on the cross doesn't mean the wooden structure itself but as sort of symbolic shorthand for focusing on Christ and His message.

I don't mean to pick on you about this but when I saw that you got me thinking. And we all know how dangerous that is and fortunately how rare it occurs.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Ah, the site I cited earlier finally came up -- maybe they're having server problems...

Memorial Markers for Traffic-Related Fatalities. Organizations and relatives of persons killed in any traffic-related crashes may install commemorative markers (such as crosses) beside the road at the location of the crash. The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) allows such markers, provided the district approves the location of the marker. See Chapter 3, Section 10 of the Maintenance Division’s Use of Right of Way by Others Manual for guidelines for these markers. This program is managed by the Maintenance Division (MNT).

I wonder how long it will be before somebody here makes a stink about "crosses".
      Crosses are listed as an example of the type of markers allowed, not as the only type of ones allowed. But, yeah. It's inevitable.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Looks like a really fat coffin.
        The old piano case funeral.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Meh. For me it is little different than the folks who are obsessed with the baby Jesus. I never really thought of it as "I'm sorry your god is an infant. Mine grew up."

Both images are symbolic of an instrumental event in Christ's life, but they are just that and not Christ Himself. They're symbolic of him but obvious not the same as Him. I think most of the folks wearing a crucifix or who have a permanent manager display out understand that. Sort of like when someone seeks to sum up their religious philosophy by saying that they focus on the cross doesn't mean the wooden structure itself but as sort of symbolic shorthand for focusing on Christ and His message.

I don't mean to pick on you about this but when I saw that you got me thinking. And we all know how dangerous that is and fortunately how rare it occurs.

Honestly, I don't freak about it either... I do more funerals than I care to admit, and the funeral home will almost always have a crucifix above where the casket will be placed.
          I recognize that it means "Jesus paid the price on the cross".

On a side note --- many years ago, a Jewish Synagogue in our city burned (an old building, and faulty electrical wiring) and they needed a place to worship while they made repairs.
          Our church wasn't big enough, but I posed the idea to a fellow Christian pastor whose church would fit the bill.

When the Rabbi met with us at the Church, the pastor pointed out that they could temporarily remove the cross over the baptistry, and the Rabbi very graciously refused -- "no, my friend, it will be a symbol of your love and acceptance of our people, and we will see it in that light".
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Both images are symbolic of an instrumental event in Christ's life, but they are just that and not Christ Himself. They're symbolic of him but obvious not the same as Him.
            I'm basically of the same thought. I would prefer an empty cross myself, but if Catholics prefer to see an image of Christ then so be it.

It actually helps to tip me off; when I see an occupied cross then I know I am in a Catholic setting.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
              Some places are officially set up as memorials, in part as a warning.
              That is understandable. It is only the "shrine" aspect of it that disturbs me.

Comment

They’re all over the place here. I’ve almost stopped noticing them after a while, until there's a new one.
                In Canada? Are you still having trouble with church vandals there? I wonder if they are going after any Christian symbols, like crosses on the roads.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  I think it is just a way for people to try to keep their loved ones memories alive. When I see one of them, I might not know who they are, but I am reminded that someone who was loved died there. Yes, it's sad, but poignant at the same time. It also serves to remind me to pay attention to the road because I can see that someone died at that location.
                  It's just me, that I would prefer to honor a loved one at a location that they enjoyed; a garden, a room in the house, even a chair they liked to sit in.

Comment

I don't see people focusing on baby Jesus as much as those focusing on a crucifix. It may occur at Christmas, as we all focus on that a little bit. But I've never seen a permanent manger anywhere. And the crucifix reminds me more of how the RCC has twisted so much of Christianity into something different, which is why, perhaps, it bothers me more. But that's for another thread.

You aren't picking on me at all! It's good to have discussions like this, as it makes us all think a bit, which is dangerous and rare!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

The old piano case funeral.
                      British coffins are more often shaped like that, while in NA, and who knows where else, they are more rectangular.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

In Canada? Are you still having trouble with church vandals there? I wonder if they are going after any Christian symbols, like crosses on the roads.
                        Yeah, Canada.

I haven't heard of any recent church vandalism or burnings. Nor have I heard of any removal, by the vandals, of other Christian symbols. I know sometimes road crews remove crosses and other displays of grief from roadsides. There are some rules on those things, at least in my province, but it seems odd to me that the displays for young people are left, while those for older people are taken down more frequently.

Comment

It's just me, that I would prefer to honor a loved one at a location that they enjoyed; a garden, a room in the house, even a chair they liked to sit in.
                          Yeah, especially if the death occurred miles from where the family lives.

And if the "memorial" beside the road is too gaudy, it can actually cause distractions resulting in vehicle crashes.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't know about the rest of California but they're common here. There's one just under one of our underpasses. And there's one at the corner out in the unincorporated area still standing after about 40 years after a school bus stop tragedy (that's private property, although people have left Christmas stuff there).

And on the way to/from Ft Irwin there are bunches of white crosses where the insane driving on the two-lane road killed so many.
                            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

It's always been a tradition to set up memorials where people died too. Like the 9-11 memorial, or at the concentration camps from WW2. It is a way to keep those deaths in the minds of the public, not just the family.

Comment

I don't see people focusing on baby Jesus as much as those focusing on a crucifix. It may occur at Christmas, as we all focus on that a little bit. But I've never seen a permanent manger anywhere. And the crucifix reminds me more of how the RCC has twisted so much of Christianity into something different, which is why, perhaps, it bothers me more. But that's for another thread.

You aren't picking on me at all! It's good to have discussions like this, as it makes us all think a bit, which is dangerous and rare!

Maybe the whole Baby Jesus thing is more of a Southern U.S. phenomena. It's generally like the Christmas stuff got left out on a table in the corner of the Living Room. But usually not the cheap looking stuff.

As a teen it was easy to determine if you were at a friend's house and they warned you "don't touch that or my mom will kill you!" with a look of fear in their eye.

Comment