Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Roadside Memorials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    My cousin who I've referred to as the saint was a nurse as well as being a devout Christian. When her mother became terminally ill she was in terrible agony. Her spasms were so bad she literally broke her back. My cousin told me she actually prayed to God to please take her quickly then cried for days when she did die.

Emotions are all jumbled in times like that.
    Of course they are. No one wants to see anyone least of all someone they love suffer unnecessarily. Hence my support for assisted suicide. When my time comes, if it is a potentially terminal condition, I shall avail myself of Dignitas.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Same reasons as we have been telling you all along. Out of sympathy, respect and love. They want to memorialize the person and keep their memory alive.

But I suppose you think they do it so they don't come back and haunt anyone.
      That post was made in response to comments by rogue06 concerning the belief in the apotropaic properties of fire/light.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

That post was made in response to comments by rogue06 concerning the belief in the apotropaic properties of fire/light.
        Why can't you just use normal English? CP is right, you just want to present yourself as smarter than everyone else. It's pretty funny. I am betting most people here have a higher IQ than you. Do you keep a thesaurus handy when writing your posts?

Comment

Why can't you just use normal English? CP is right, you just want to present yourself as smarter than everyone else. It's pretty funny. I am betting most people here have a higher IQ than you. Do you keep a thesaurus handy when writing your posts?
          In a way, she reminds me of the old joke... (many versions thereof, it appears)

A man is flying in a hot air balloon and realizes he is lost. He reduces height and spots a man down below. He lowers the balloon further and shouts, "Excuse me. Can you help me? I'm lost."

The man below says, "Yes, you are in a hot air balloon hovering approximately 40 feet above this field."

"You must be an expert at using an electronic medical record," says the balloonist.

"I am," replies the man. "How did you know?"

"Well," says the balloonist, "everything you have told me is technically correct but totally useless."

A man is flying in a hot air balloon and realizes he is lost. He reduces his altitude and spots a man down below.

He lowers the balloon further and shouts: "Excuse me, can you tell me where I am?"

The man below says: "Yes, you’re in a hot air balloon, hovering 30 feet above this field."

"You must work in Technical Support," says the balloonist.

"I do," replies the man. "How did you know?"

"Well" says the balloonist, "everything you have told me is technically correct, but completely useless."

The man below says: "You must be in management."

"I am," replies the balloonist, "but how did you know?"

"Well", says the man, "you don’t know where you are, or where you’re going, but you expect me to be able to help. You’re still in the same position you were before we met, but now it’s my fault."

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I have a larger lexicon* than the average person, but I generally don't flaunt it in front of those who lack the verbiage to express themselves as eloquently./sarcasm

These days anyone can do things like the above on the internet. She sounds like what Jaiden Animations describes in her video on Thesaurus.com.

*That part is actually true. I've also been accused of being a "know it all" because of my choice of words.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

I have a larger lexicon* than the average person, but I generally don't flaunt it in front of those who lack the verbiage to express themselves as eloquently./sarcasm

These days anyone can do things like the above on the internet. She sounds like what Jaiden Animations describes in her video on Thesaurus.com.

*That part is actually true. I've also been accused of being a "know it all" because of my choice of words.
              Those of you who act like you know it all are a real annoyance to those of us who really do.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Those of you who act like you know it all are a real annoyance to those of us who really do.

Comment

Why do you repeatedly refer to my "know all" attitude?
                  It's the elephant in the room.

It does appear to be the cause of your ire and I wonder why that is so.
                  You wish.

And this is not real life - this is the internet.
                  Many of us share real life experiences here - current events - "real life" --- you seem absolutely obsessed with bringing your incredibly vast knowledge of useless information as though it were actually applicable.

By the way, that reminds me that I need to post about my granddaughter (whom we raised) who just got promoted to manager of her VERY OWN WALGREENS store!!!!

Comment

• I identify as the smartest person on Theologyweb. I mean, I classify myself as the most astute personage on Theologyweb.

Comment

I identify as the smartest person on Theologyweb. I mean, I classify myself as the most astute personage on Theologyweb.
                      So mote it be!

Comment

Because apotropaic is the correct term for what rogue06 was describing when he wrote "in part to ward off evil spirits".

One word instead of five.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

It's the elephant in the room.
                          The elephant in the room metaphor refers to something everyone studiously ignores, not something to which is regularly referred.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          You wish.
                          Your repeated references to what you perceive as my attitude belie that remark. If you really were not bothered by what I write you would not keep making those comments.

Many of us share real life experiences here - current events - "real life" --- you seem absolutely obsessed with bringing your incredibly vast knowledge of useless information as though it were actually applicable.
                          I will mention some aspects of my own real life as I did earlier on with the loss of a very dear friend but I do not consider this site to be a therapy group.

And what I mentioned with regard to this habit of road-side shrines/memorials has some relevance albeit not consciously for those who do so.

"It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

The elephant in the room metaphor refers to something everyone studiously ignores, not something to which is regularly referred.
                            In this case, you would be the "everyone".

Your repeated references to what you perceive as my attitude belie that remark. If you really were not bothered by what I write you would not keep making those comments.
                            I'm good at spotting elephants.

I will mention some aspects of my own real life as I did earlier on with the loss of a very dear friend but I do not consider this site to be a therapy group.
                            And that was one post which I acknowledge seemed genuinely in good faith.

And what I mentioned with regard to this habit of road-side shrines/memorials has some relevance albeit not consciously for those who do so.
                            I would love for you to find ONE example of somebody visiting (or creating) a roadside memorial who gives a flying flip about your commentary on this subject.

Comment

In this case, you would be the "everyone".
                              I do not make constant reference to my knowledge. So why did you make that remark?

I would love for you to find ONE example of somebody visiting (or creating) a roadside memorial who gives a flying flip about your commentary on this subject.
                              Do you not understand how cultural attitudes work? Why, for example, why do you suppose certain colours are worn at funerals? In fairly recent history in the west that has been black.

Why do some people still cover mirrors in the house where someone has died? Why also do you think that in some traditions [including the west] the bride often wears a veil covering her face until the ceremony is over and her new husband lifts it?

On a completely different topic why do people so often throw coins into pools and fountains?

What lies behind these practises?
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I do not make constant reference to my knowledge.
                                True.

So why did you make that remark?
                                Others here understand - you won't.

Do you not understand how cultural attitudes work? Why, for example, why do you suppose certain colours are worn at funerals? Traditionally in the west that has been black.

Why do some people still cover mirrors in the house where someone has died? Why also do you think that in some traditions [including the west] the bride often wears a veil covering her face until the ceremony is over and her new husband lifts it?

On a completely different topic why do people so often throw coins into pools and fountains?

What lies behind these practises?
                                I understand, in the real world, that people deal with grief differently (the topic at hand), and they want to be understood and comforted, not analyzed.

Comment