Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Consequences of Erudite Vernacular Utilized Irrespective of Necessity:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consequences of Erudite Vernacular Utilized Irrespective of Necessity:

Turns out, using deliberately large (and obscure) words to convey meanings that are better understood using simpler words doesn't make you look smart, it makes you look stupid.

Source: https://www.ucd.ie/artspgs/semantics/ConsequencesErudite.pdf

SUMMARY
    Most texts on writing style encourage authors to avoid overly-complex words. However, a majority of undergraduates admit to deliberately increasing the complexity of their vocabulary so as to give the impression of intelligence. This paper explores the extent to which this strategy is effective. Experiments 1–3 manipulate complexity of texts and find a negative relationship between complexity and judged intelligence. This relationship held regardless of the quality of the original essay, and irrespective of the participants’ prior expectations of essay quality. The negative impact of complexity was mediated by processing fluency. Experiment 4 directly manipulated fluency and found that texts in hard to read fonts are judged to come from less intelligent authors. Experiment 5 investigated discounting of fluency. When obvious causes for low fluency exist that are not relevant to the judgement at hand, people reduce their reliance on fluency as a cue; in fact, in an effort not to be influenced by the irrelevant source of fluency, they over-compensate and are biased in the opposite direction. Implications and applications are discussed.

© Copyright Original Source

I think the problem is in the person thinking they are more intelligent than their fellows, they simply will not accept that is not the case, so they double down and expatiate on their sagacity. Otherwise, what you posted.

Comment

That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Moderated By: Bill the Cat

More appropriate here in Psychology

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
        Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Gee, I wonder who you might be thinking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
            Gee, I wonder who you might be thinking about.
            Nobody in particular....I have no idea why you might think that.

Comment

I findeth yond speaking in shakepearian english maketh me soundeth cunning'r than thee clotpole peasants

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Nobody in particular....I have no idea why you might think that.
                Well, I immediately thought of a certain pusilanimous interlocutor.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  I findeth yond speaking in shakepearian english maketh me soundeth cunning'r than thee clotpole peasants
                  Normally we have to translate your various "Arrrs" to figure out what you mean. Fortunately that's easier than it sound since 90% mean "bacon" and 5% mean "rum."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Honestly "big words" aren't so much an issue with me so much as "big and obscure" words. After all, why use words you know people won't know because it's not commonly used.

After all, why call someone a "Morosoph" when "Pretentious" has pretty much the same meaning, and is better understood.

Or, "Pusillanimity" when "coward" or "timid" works just as well.

Comment

Maybe it's more common when English isn't the person's primary language.

One nice feature of Google (I hate complimenting them) is if you enter a word and synonym ("pusillanimous" and "synonym") and click on one of the alternates, it shows you how common the word has been over time during the past 200 years.

sample.jpg

The word "spineless" was most commonly used around 1910-1920.

Comment

Maybe it's more common when English isn't the person's primary language.

One nice feature of Google (I hate complimenting them) is if you enter a word and synonym ("pusillanimous" and "synonym") and click on one of the alternates, it shows you how common the word has been over time during the past 200 years.

sample.jpg

The word "spineless" was most commonly used around 1910-1920.
                        This will count as my trying to learn something new every day.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          This will count as my trying to learn something new every day.
                          Here's a favorite of one of TWeb's interlocutors.

sf.jpg

I believe she is visiting us, via time machine, from the middle of the 19th century.

Comment

Here's a favorite of one of TWeb's interlocutors.

sf.jpg

I believe she is visiting us, via time machine, from the middle of the 19th century.
                            Could be

jocular.jpg

Comment

This reminds me of listening to some people praying out loud. Lots of theological jargon and archaic language. Supposed to sound pious, I guess. But then, I shouldn't be critiquing other peoples' prayers.
                              When I Survey....

Comment