Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Slow cooking!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
    I got a crock-pot as a Christmas gift. What a blessing. Food goes in this morning and comes out ready tonight!!! (Its bbq pork shoulder today!)
    It is NOT a blessing. You have to put up with the delicious smell all freaking day long!!!! ARRRRRRRGHHHHH. It is torture.

Leave a comment:

• Catholicity
    replied
    I got a crock-pot as a Christmas gift. What a blessing. Food goes in this morning and comes out ready tonight!!! (Its bbq pork shoulder today!)

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Me, too, neither.
    2014-11-10-cornbread-7-680x384.jpg
    http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/ho...c-0476cca27a40

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Time for me to make some crockpot Chili.

Leave a comment:

• lilpixieofterror
    replied
    Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    Hmmm. Judging from the reviews, your model has quite a reputation for high tempatures. ..
    I haven't had any problems with mine over-heating.

Leave a comment:

• DesertBerean
    replied
    Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    This is the large one that I got for a gift last year. I like it because you can automatically set the cook time and it goes into warm mode once the timer runs out. I haven't really used the dipper yet, but I might try it out at some point in time.
    Hmmm. Judging from the reviews, your model has quite a reputation for high tempatures. ..

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    I think I'm gonna get a chunk of beef, some taters, onions and carrots and let them hot tub all day Thursday.

Leave a comment:

• lilpixieofterror
    replied
    Slow cooking is all the rage right now. I can't look at my Facebook without seeing at least one recipe for it.

I did have a younger CrockPot, a wedding present, but I chose to sell that off rather than my ancient one. My dad has a oval one but I already have some of my mother's stuff so I kinda hate to ask for that right now.
    This is the large one that I got for a gift last year. I like it because you can automatically set the cook time and it goes into warm mode once the timer runs out. I haven't really used the dipper yet, but I might try it out at some point in time.

Leave a comment:

• DesertBerean
    replied
    Slow cooking is all the rage right now. I can't look at my Facebook without seeing at least one recipe for it.

I did have a younger CrockPot, a wedding present, but I chose to sell that off rather than my ancient one. My dad has a oval one but I already have some of my mother's stuff so I kinda hate to ask for that right now.

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    I have probably the first generation CrockPot. I checked the temp with an oven thermometer and an electronic temp probe (the kind you stick into food). My LOW was about 175, and my HIGH was 289 and very slowly edging up according to the probe. Looks like the upper setting would be good for a little serious baking as well as cooking.

Always good to check the temp ranges of your appliances especially the older ones.
    Mine is 43 years old.

I don't use it much anymore, and sometimes think I would like to get a new one. Recipes are better these days.

Leave a comment:

• DesertBerean
    replied
    I have probably the first generation CrockPot. I checked the temp with an oven thermometer and an electronic temp probe (the kind you stick into food). My LOW was about 175, and my HIGH was 289 and very slowly edging up according to the probe. Looks like the upper setting would be good for a little serious baking as well as cooking.

Always good to check the temp ranges of your appliances especially the older ones.

Leave a comment:

• lilpixieofterror
    replied
    Originally posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
    I love slow cooked meals. What are some good ones I and other T-webbers could try?
    Roast, with potato's and carrots is pretty easy to make.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    I have never tried making cornbread in a slow cooker.
    Me, too, neither.

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    I have never tried making cornbread in a slow cooker.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    And cornbread. I keep forgetting that not everybody knows you're supposed to have cornbread with stuff.

(which is also why I hadn't mentioned bacon)

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X