Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Furniture shopping and marriages.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Furniture shopping and marriages.

    I was watching the news and apparently the Wall Street Journal wrote an article about IKEA causing problems between couples.http://www.wsj.com/articles/can-your...kea-1429724227. more disturbing than previous divorce trend was the idea that couples are breaking up over furniture design what does this say about our country in our cs to the soul in I believe that this speaks to the shallow culture we have become valuing material choices over things like trust children love and morals which have nothing to do with the furniture at all. It also says just how far as a culture we have strayed from God. I don't think at the center of a loving marriage is furniture. I didn't know where else to put this but there are just no words for how sad this is.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

  • #2
    I guess they'll just settle for one nightstands.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
      more disturbing than previous divorce trend was the idea that couples are breaking up over furniture design what does this say about our country in our cs to the soul in
      Liberal progressives (but I repeat myself) are screwed and are killing the nation.
      Last edited by Paprika; 04-24-2015, 07:33 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        This is a real shame.
        3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
          I guess they'll just settle for one nightstands.

          Comment


          • #6
            My husband and I can't wallpaper together.

            It is VERY bad for our marriage. And we've been together for 42 years.

            Furniture shopping, not so much. There is so much self-love these days, that people just can't seem to realize that marriage is ALL about putting the other person first.

            If furniture purchases is an issue that ends a marriage, then it wasn't much of a marriage to begin with.


            Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

            Comment


            • #7
              It's just furniture. I don't really see the big deal. Ya sit on it.
              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

              Comment


              • #8
                We buy furniture as we need to, and usually we're cheap about it. Actually, we have higher desire to have nice vehicles than house--always on the move it seems.
                No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Why would people break up over overpriced furniture?
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                    I was watching the news and apparently the Wall Street Journal wrote an article about IKEA causing problems between couples.http://www.wsj.com/articles/can-your...kea-1429724227. more disturbing than previous divorce trend was the idea that couples are breaking up over furniture design what does this say about our country in our cs to the soul in I believe that this speaks to the shallow culture we have become valuing material choices over things like trust children love and morals which have nothing to do with the furniture at all. It also says just how far as a culture we have strayed from God. I don't think at the center of a loving marriage is furniture. I didn't know where else to put this but there are just no words for how sad this is.
                    I keep telling you - let him have the Lay-z-boy...







                    Sorry, couldn't resist...

                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


                    "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

                    My Personal Blog

                    My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                      It's just furniture. I don't really see the big deal. Ya sit on it.
                      This explains why your wife buys so many chests of drawers....

                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


                      "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

                      My Personal Blog

                      My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                        My husband and I can't wallpaper together.

                        It is VERY bad for our marriage. And we've been together for 42 years.

                        Furniture shopping, not so much. There is so much self-love these days, that people just can't seem to realize that marriage is ALL about putting the other person first.

                        If furniture purchases is an issue that ends a marriage, then it wasn't much of a marriage to begin with.

                        Wallpapering isn't good for anyone...

                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


                        "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

                        My Personal Blog

                        My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

                        Comment

                        widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X