Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

The tweb recipe thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traditional NC Piedmont BBQ:
    One Pork Butt
    1 Cup of vinegar
    1/4 cup of Sugar (whole cane or brown only not white sugar)
    1 C of Ketchup
    2 teaspoons of Mustard
    1/4 teaspoon of Paprika
    sprinkle of cumin
    1 teaspoon of salt
    pinch of red pepper
    pinch of white pepper
    Blend your spices Ketchup, Sugar, Vinegar and Mustard in a Bowl
    Set the Pork Butt in a crock pot or slow cooker and pour the spices over the roast and turn the cooker to low or high. A Frozen roast 4lb roast will take about 5-6 hours on high or 8-10 on low. A thawed or fresh roast will take 5-6 hours on low and 3-4 on high.
    When the pork is finished transfer to a large dish or pot and cut it with a knife, then take 2 cups of the still hot juices and pour it over the cut meat, cover with foil and rest for 20 minutes. Shred or pull the pork by hand. (the juices tenderize the meat making it easier to shred) For a finer pull, place it in the food processor.
    Serve with BBQ slaw.

BBQ slaw
    Chop Green and if desired Red cabbage. Place in the food processor and add 1-2 cups of BBQ juices from the cooked pork roast. Add 1-2 tablespoons of mayo if desired and pulse in the processor until desired texture is reached
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Leave my butt out of this!
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Gingerbread cookies

Makes about 3 ½ dozen cookies.
        Preparation time about: 35 minutes
        Chilling time about: 2 hours or overnight
        Baking time: 10 -12 minutes
        Cooing time about: 40 minutes

Ingredients
        ¾ cup of vegetable shortening
        ¾ cup firmly packed Dark brown sugar
        ½ cup unsulfured molasses
        1 TBS water
        1 egg
        3 ¾ cups all-purpose flour, divided
        2 tsps ground ginger
        1 tsp baking soda
        1 tsp ground cinnamon
        ½ tsp ground nutmeg
        ½ tsp ground cardamom(this is the only recipe I know that calls for this spice)
        ¼ tsp ground cloves
        ½ salt

1. In large bowl, with electric mixer at medium speed, beat shortening brown sugar, molasses and water until well blended. Add Egg beat well. In medium bowl combine flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon nutmeg, cardamom, cloves and salt. With mixer at low speed, gradually add flour mixture to shortening mixture, beating just until blended. Divide Dough into quarters. Wrap each quarter in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.

2. Pre heat oven at 350 degrees. Spread 1 tbs flour on large sheet of place dough quarter on floured paper: flatten slightly with hands. Flip dough. Cover with another large sheet of waxed paper. With rolling pin, roll out dough ¼ inch thick.

3. Remove top sheet of waxed paper. With lightly floured cookie cutter cut our shapes. With large spatula. Transfer cookies to ungreased cookie sheets placing 2 inches across Repeat with remaining dough.

4. bake one cookie sheet at a time 10 to 12 minutes. Or until set. Cool 2 minutes. Remove cookies to racks to cool completely

5. Mean while prepare your favorite icing and in what ever colors you want to decorate. If so inclined you can place icing in pastry bag and pipe on to cookies.

Comment

• http://www.honeyandlime.co/2012/04/o...rt-recipe.html

Oreo Brownie Explosion

Ingredients:

1- 16.5oz. Pillsbury Chocolate Chip Cookie Dought Roll, Ready to Bake
          1 package of Oreo cookies
          1 bag of Kraft mini marshmallows
          1 box Pillsbury brownie mix, along with the ingredients to prepare listed on the box

Getting Started:

Preheat your over to 375 degrees. Prepare the brownie mix in a bowl and set aside. Lightly grease a deep dish pan (the one pictured is a 9×9) and press the chocolate chip cookie dough evenly along the bottom of the pan. Next, layer your Oreo cookies on top of the cookie dough.

Sprinkle your desired amount of marshmallows evenly over the top of the Oreo cookies. Pour the brownie mix over the top of the marshmallows to cover them. The brownie mix will seep down to the Oreo cookies

Bake in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes, or until the top brownie layer is completely cooked. The toothpick test won’t work here, these are going to be gooey on top from the marshmallows. You may have to slice through and check the middle to be sure they are done. Let them cool before slicing and ENJOY!
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• http://www.africanfoodmap.com/recipes/recipe-3/

So, I found out about this DELICIOUS rice dish from someone at Young Adults (his wife is from Ghana). This evening, I made a pot (barely had enough room for it all, and I used the biggest pot I had).

It doesn't say when to put the chili peppers, so I just added a seeded habanero in with the tomatoes when I blended it. In a pinch you could easily substitute the fresh tomatoes with canned, but use fresh if possible. Also, you can use pretty much any meat you want (I used ham).
            Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

• Does anyone have a good recipe for pesto? I've attempted to make my own with basil leaves, toasted pine nuts, olive oil, garlic and parmesan cheese, but I can never get the proportion of basil to garlic quite right. It always tastes too strongly of one or the other.
              Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

• Originally posted by fm93 View Post
                Does anyone have a good recipe for pesto? I've attempted to make my own with basil leaves, toasted pine nuts, olive oil, garlic and parmesan cheese, but I can never get the proportion of basil to garlic quite right. It always tastes too strongly of one or the other.
                Creamy Pesto Pasta Bake

FULL RECIPE: http://bzfd.it/28THwfE
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  Creamy Pesto Pasta Bake

Cold water? What is the author's point here? "Oh no, we wouldn't dare risk having too much flavor in our sauce, better dilute it with boring water"?
                  Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Creamy Pesto Pasta Bake

one of the ingredients is "Pesto" so I don't think that is a recipe on how to make pesto.

Comment

• Originally posted by fm93 View Post
                      Does anyone have a good recipe for pesto? I've attempted to make my own with basil leaves, toasted pine nuts, olive oil, garlic and parmesan cheese, but I can never get the proportion of basil to garlic quite right. It always tastes too strongly of one or the other.
                      Never tried it because I despise pesto, but I found this:

Recipe By:ANDERVAL
                      "Basic pesto, made with basil, olive oil, pine nuts, and Parmesan cheese. This recipe differs from the classic preparation by the addition of parsley. You can add a little extra Parmesan to the mixture if you like."
                      Ingredients

3 cups packed fresh basil leaves
                      4 cloves garlic
                      3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1/2 cup olive oil
                      1/4 cup pine nuts
                      1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Directions

Combine basil, garlic, Parmesan cheese, olive oil, and nuts in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Blend to a smooth paste. Add parsley if desired.
                      http://allrecipes.com/recipe/13937/p...arch%20results

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        one of the ingredients is "Pesto" so I don't think that is a recipe on how to make pesto.
                        Was thinking he was asking for a recipe USING pesto... I despise it too.
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• someone at work made this and it is delicious:

Breakfast Casserole

1 lb. Breakfast sausage
                          3 cups Shredded hash browns
                          ¼ cup Butter, melted
                          12 oz. Mild cheddar cheese, shredded
                          1 Onion, diced
                          16 oz. Cottage cheese
                          6 Eggs

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease 9x13 baking dish.

Cook sausage in deep skillet, drain, crumble and set aside.

In dish, stir together hash browns and butter. Line bottom and sides with mixture.

In bowl, mix sausage, cheddar cheese, onion, cottage cheese and eggs. Pour over potato mixture.

Bake 1 hour or until toothpick comes clean. Let cool 5 minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            someone at work made this and it is delicious:

Breakfast Casserole

1 lb. Breakfast sausage
                            3 cups Shredded hash browns
                            ¼ cup Butter, melted
                            12 oz. Mild cheddar cheese, shredded
                            1 Onion, diced
                            16 oz. Cottage cheese
                            6 Eggs

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease 9x13 baking dish.

Cook sausage in deep skillet, drain, crumble and set aside.

In dish, stir together hash browns and butter. Line bottom and sides with mixture.

In bowl, mix sausage, cheddar cheese, onion, cottage cheese and eggs. Pour over potato mixture.

Bake 1 hour or until toothpick comes clean. Let cool 5 minutes.
                            I see no bacon sir...
                            That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I see no bacon sir...
                              I think she misspelled "bacon" as "sausage"

Comment

• breakfast sausage is disgusting, obv substitution there
                                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment