Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

The tweb recipe thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flatout Grilled BBQ Pizza (I make it on a contact grill, like a george forman)

1 Flatout Wrap (Lite italian) http://www.flatoutbread.com/products...-italian-herb/

BBQ sauce
    Olive oil
    Onions, chopped
    Cooked chicken breast
    red pepper, chopped.
    Mozzarella cheese

Preheat grill to about 400F
    Brush a little bit of olive oil on each side of wrap
    Put wrap on contact grill and cook for about 2 minutes. It should bubble up but not burn
    Open grill and put on BBQ sauce, then cheese, then onions, chicken and peppers.
    Turn bottom plate down to warm if your grill allows that.
    Close top lid but make sure the top doesn't actually touch the pizza.
    Cook for about 6 minutes.

You can also make it on an outdoor grill or in a regular oven (in that case just build the pizza and heat it at 375F for about 6 minutes, no need to grill wrap first)

Comment

• MadJack's Hot & Spicy Grilled Salsa (low-sodium)

2350598.jpg

Ingredients
      Servings: 30
      Yield: 2 Quarts

PREP 15 minutes
      COOK 45 minutes

8 Roma Tomatoes cut in half.
      8 Mini sweet peppers (variety)
      1 Red Bell Pepper
      2 Medium Vidalia Onions
      6-8 Jalepeno Peppers
      1 Tsp olive oil
      1 Garlic bulb
      1 8 oz can Hunt's petite cut tomatoes (no-salt added)
      2 4 oz cans Hunt's no-salt added tomato sauce
      1-4 Tsp Louisiana Hot Sauce (optional)
      3 Tbsp Chipotle Chili powder
      2 Tbsp Cumin
      1/2 tsp table salt
      1 tbsp black pepper
      1 Tbsp lime juice
      3 Tbsp sugar
      1 Tbsp Vinegar (optional)

Directions
      1. Fire up gas grill till very hot - add in wood chips for smoky taste.
      2. Brush olive oil on Roma tomatoes, mini peppers, half of jalapeno peppers and 1 onion.
      3. Grill tomatoes (cut side down) until skin loosens, and peppers until charred on all sides.
      4. Cut top of garlic bulb to make it easier to peel later. Roast garlic until outside paper blackens. Grill 1 onion until soft (cut into 3 pieces, rings intact.)
      5. Remove veggies from grill as they finish (usually the tomatoes will be done first) and let cool then peel peppers and tomatoes (does not have to be perfect.)
      6. If tomatoes come out very soft, put them into refrigerator to firm them up a bit.
      7. Put grilled tomatoes, peppers, onion and peeled garlic in food processor and chop to chunky consistency. Remove to a sauce pot.
      8. Put other half of jalapenos (raw), red bell pepper (raw), and remaining onion (raw) into food processor and chop into chunks. Add to the sauce pot.
      9. In the sauce pot add in the canned diced tomatoes and 2 cans of tomato sauce (you might want to add more later if it gets too thick)
      10. Add in Chipotle chili, cumin, black pepper, and sugar.
      11. Bring to a slight boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
      12. Taste, and add in hot sauce, lime juice and/or vinegar if desired.
      13. vinegar can get stronger as it sits in the salsa in the fridge, so be careful.
      14. Let pot cool, put into bowl or jars and refrigerate. Don't be afraid to try different proportions of ingredients and spices, I do it slightly different each time! Add in more or less sugar as you prefer. If the salsa gets too thick after sitting in the refrigerator, add in a bit of cold water, or more tomato sauce.

notes
      I like to add in some of Bill Echol's Taco seasoning recipe (without the salt though) - usually about 1 to 2 Tbs. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/taco-se...-i/detail.aspx
      Last edited by Sparko; 06-29-2015, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• Roman Style Pizza Dough

I've made this pizza dough twice now. Both times, it's turned out absolutely delicious.

ETA: I don't grill all that often, so I just cook it in the oven on the highest temperature till the edge of the crust browns. Also, This makes a LOT of dough.
        Last edited by Chaotic Void; 07-05-2015, 08:26 PM.
        Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

• Quick and Easy Tuna Rice

1 can condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup (or Cream of Whatever)
          1 soup can water or milk, or a mix of both.
          1 soup can of Minute Rice
          Frozen Veggies
          1 can of Tuna well drained
          shredded cheese

Mix the soup and liquid together in a 2 qt pan. You can use the liquid drained of the tuna as well, if it's packed in water. Add frozen veggies. I don't measure them I just add until TLAR*. Heat to a full boil, remove from heat, stir in rice, cover and let sit 5 minutes. Stir in tuna and add cheese if you like. Doesn't heat up the kitchen too badly in my currently non air-conditioned apartment. Only a pan, a bowl and a fork to wash up after, too.

*That Looks About Right
          Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            More from bandecoot:

Baba Ganoush:

An arabic dip

I snaffled this recipe from a Cookbook that an online acquaintance brought over from Saudi Arabia

1 1/2 lb Eggplant
            3 tb Lemon juice
            1 ts Salt
            2 ts Minced fresh garlic
            3 tb Sesame tahini(ground sesame seeds, you could use Sesame oil in the same quantities.)
            (if you are allergic use sourcream or Greek style yoghurt)
            1/4 c Chopped parsley
            1/2 c Toasted pine nuts
            2 tb Olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prick eggplant all over with a fork.
            Bake whole until tender (about 30 minutes). Remove from oven, halve
            and scoop out the flesh.

Alternatively you could slice it up and fry it, which is much quicker and gives a richer taste in my never humble opinion.

Blend in a food processor with the lemon
            juice until smooth. Mash the salt and garlic together and combine
            with the eggplant, along with the tahini. Cool and stir in the
            parsley and pine nuts. Before serving, drizzle with the olive oil.
            Serve as a dip with tortilla chips or triangles of flat (pita) bread.

For a lighter flavour use Zucchini
            For a really meaty style dip puree some stongly flavoured mushrooms with the eggplant.
            Baba Ganoush is an AWESOME chip dip, and my first experience with eggplant).

I made this again today, though I added in an onion and roasted it along with the eggplant and garlic. I also added in a teaspoon of plain yogurt for texture.
            Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

• Repickled Pickles.

Save the pickle juice from your favorite pickles after you eat them all.

Cut up some small cucumbers into slices, or even take some jalapenos, onions, or anything else you want to pickle.

Boil the pickle juice. Let it boil for about a minute or two.
              Put the sliced cucumber or whatever in the old pickle jar.
              Pour the boiling pickle juice on top of the veggies
              Close the lid and let it sit on the counter till it reaches room temperature then refrigerate for a day or two.

New pickles!!

You can also add in extra vinegar and spices to the mixture if you feel like it. Sometimes I stick in a bit of dill weed and some pickling spice.

If the veggie pieces are large, you might want to toss them into the pot with the juice when it begins boiling and let it boil with the juice for a minute or two, but sometimes that makes the veggies less crunchy if you try it with thin slices of cucumber or hot peppers.

Comment

• I'm still waiting for the recipe for making Tweb.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  I'm still waiting for the recipe for making Tweb.
                  Easy

tea.jpg + 06207.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
                    Baba Ganoush is an AWESOME chip dip, and my first experience with eggplant).

I made this again today, though I added in an onion and roasted it along with the eggplant and garlic. I also added in a teaspoon of plain yogurt for texture.
                    I don't much care for eggplant, so I'd probably use zucchini instead.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      Easy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9291[/ATTACH] + [ATTACH=CONFIG]9292[/ATTACH]
                      Proportions, temperatures, time?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Proportions, temperatures, time?
                        All the proportions, way too much temperature and not enough time.

You're welcome.

Comment

• Can we discard the spider, please?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                            Can we discard the spider, please?
                            there is no spider, just a web. Charlotte left it behind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Repickled Pickles.

Save the pickle juice from your favorite pickles after you eat them all.

Cut up some small cucumbers into slices, or even take some jalapenos, onions, or anything else you want to pickle.

Boil the pickle juice. Let it boil for about a minute or two.
                              Put the sliced cucumber or whatever in the old pickle jar.
                              Pour the boiling pickle juice on top of the veggies
                              Close the lid and let it sit on the counter till it reaches room temperature then refrigerate for a day or two.

New pickles!!

You can also add in extra vinegar and spices to the mixture if you feel like it. Sometimes I stick in a bit of dill weed and some pickling spice.

If the veggie pieces are large, you might want to toss them into the pot with the juice when it begins boiling and let it boil with the juice for a minute or two, but sometimes that makes the veggies less crunchy if you try it with thin slices of cucumber or hot peppers.
                              I've pickled an extra egg for potato salad this way too. it works.
                              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• 4x8 Cheese Dip

1 8oz Jar of Pepper Jelly
                                1 8oz Box of Velveeta
                                1 8oz Bag of Shredded Cheese, Cheddar
                                1 8oz Box of Cream Cheese

Let the Velveeta and the cream cheese come to room temperature. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Refrigerate. Serve with crackers.
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment