Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

The tweb recipe thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another from bandecoot, per my request:
    A salsa for OBP.

400 grams (1 pound) of very ripe tomatoes
    I large red onion
    5-6 peri peri Chilies
    a few satlks of celery
    1/2 a teaspoon of your favorite hot sauce. I use a north african Harissa.
    Juice and grated rind of a lemon.
    Teaspoon of sugar
    teaspoon of salt or a tablespoon of soy sauce.
    peanut oil
    vinegar

optional, any bits of veges you might have floating about. Cabbage corn asparagus, chopped fine or just cut from the cob(You were not thinking of using FROZEN CORN, were you?)what ever you might have bits of.

peel and seed the tomatoes and cut into largish chunks.
    finely chop the celery and chillies
    roughly chop the Onion, having peeled it first.

Just use the juice of a lemon and the grated rind. No flesh or pith if you can avoid them. just the very outer part of the skin and the juice.

drop the tomato and onion into a Food Processor and chop it to a coarse mix, add the rest of the ingredients and pulse the machine a few times. Turn the mix into a bowl add a bit of oil to taste same with the vinegar. Stiir into the mix and chill for a few hours before serving.

Nice on nachos. Or just as a dip.
    I've made it several times.
    Last edited by One Bad Pig; 02-03-2014, 08:40 PM.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

More from bandecoot:
      Curry powder.

A part is simply a measure it could be a teaspoon or a tonne. it matters not, the proportions are the key here.

2parts yellow mustard seeds
      1 part black mustard seeds
      1/2 part cilantro seeds
      1 part cumin seeds 2 parts black peppercorns
      2 parts dried chilli flakes
      1 part turmeric
      1 part sumach
      2 parts garlic powder( not garlic salt)
      1/2 part sesame seeds

This mix makes a faily mild powder, to boost the heat double the Chilli and cumin and reverse the proportions of black and yellow mustard seeds.

Oh you need a spice grinder or a mortar and pestle to make this, just put the lot into either and grind to a fine paste. It keeps for about a month before it starts to lose its taste.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

From norwegen:
        Peanut Butter Pudding

INGREDIENTS

1 envelope unflavored gelatin
        1 cup nonfat (or lowfat) milk
        1 1/2 cups canned evaporated skim milk
        1/3 cup chunky peanut butter
        3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
        1 tbs vanilla extract
        water

INSTRUCTIONS

[1] Mix unflavored gelatin with 3 tbs water; allow to soften.
        [2] Combine nonfat/lowfat milk, evaporated skim milk, chunky peanut butter, and packed dark brown sugar in pan; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with whisk; just before mixture comes to a boil, remove from heat (do not boil).
        [3] Add vanilla extract and gelatin; mix well; cool to room temperature.
        [4] Pour evenly into 8 custard cups; refrigerate at least four hours before serving.

sigpic

Comment

From bandecoot:
          I cant recall who I promised this too. But its a a Jamacian Recipe

One Can:

10 ozs dried beans. black beans anaszi what ever. Beans :) Stir it up!
          salt
          1 1/4 cup coconut milk
          1 large onion roughly chopped
          2 scallions finely chopped including most of the green part
          3-4 carrots diced (I like them fine you might like them a bit coarse.)
          10 oz of pumpkin peeled and diced
          10 oz of rice, white brown or arborio, it does make a difference but only to the consistancy.
          1 tbs of thyme leaves. this is dorindas recipe not mine I add:

------
          bandecoots additions
          Coriander(Cilantro, seeds not leaves)
          5 cloves of garlic just smashed ithe the flat of a knife
          about a pound of sweet potato
          a pound of sebago potato desiree works as well , but any waxy spud.
          a few chilies. ( up to you, I like to sweat when eating this)

For the omnovores:

A bit of salt fish, Bacaloa;
          or
          some salt beef chopped fine

Soak the beans over night. rinse and cook in enough water to cover by an inch. for 20-30 mins.

reserve about half the remaining water in a jug, put the beans and the unsaved water back on the heat and add the coconut milk. bring to a low boil . Add the carrots, onion, scallions, pumpkin, sweet potato, potato and the meat if using.

stir it in and cook for 15 mins more.

add the rice and garlic and thyme and cilantro. Stir in and then add the reserved water from the beans.

Simmer for about 30 mins until the rice is cooked.

season with salt and pepper and serve

-----------------------------------

A bit more fussy than my normal stuff, but home cooking is always more cumbersome than restaurant cooking. But worth a try. If you are cooking for a few people.

sigpic

Comment

From Teallaura:
            Carmel Pie

1 Graham Cracker Pie Crust
            2 Small Cans Sweetened Condensed Milk
            1 Package Crushed Pecans (optional)
            1 package Whole Pecans (optional)

Remove wrappers from cans. Place in large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Adding water as necessary, boil for three hours.

While still hot, use tongs to remove cans from water. Very carefully open cans (they are very hot!!!) and pour directly into crust. Add crushed pecans, if desired, and stir slightly to distribute pecans. Allow to cool. Garnish with whole pecans if desired.

Serve chilled.

sigpic

Comment

From bandecoot:
              beef wellington:

Warning this is not a dish for the faint heated or novice cook.

Pate:
              1 lb chopped chicken livers
              1/4 cup of brandy
              about 1/2 a pound of butter
              salt and pepper to taste.

Fry up the livers in a pan with a tablespoon or 2 of butter til they are half cooked. Remove and place in a food processor or blender.

Deglaze the pan with the brandy, scraping up all the bits and reduce the brandy by half add that to the processor as well.

melt the remaining butter and add to the processor. Process the mix to a fine paste and scrape out into a mould. Put the mould in a tay of water that reache half way up the mould and cook in a medium oven for 1/2 an hour.

When done chill the pate in the frige while you do the rest.

Mushroom force meat:

1 lb mushrooms any kind I use a mix of swiss browns and shiitakes.
              a bunch of fresh parsley. I like flatleaf parsley for this.
              a good handfull of breadcrumbs
              3 cloves of garlic finley chopped
              butter or oil this amount varies with how dry the shrooms and crumbs are.

chop the mushrooms coarsely and fry off in the butter till they take on a bit of colour add the finely chopped parsley and garlic. stir that around untill the garlic gives off an aroma then add the crumbs a bit at a time until the liqid is all but gone then add some more butter and repeat till the mix is dryish agagin .

process to a fine paste and chill.

Now for the actual dish.

Pate which you just made
              Mushroom forcemeat which you just made.
              The centre of a Rib Eye fillet about 2 lbs.
              puff pastry probably 2 sheets.

Brown off the whole fllet in a hot pan until it gets good colour all over. You do this not to seal the meat but to give more flavour to the dish.

once you have browned it cut your pate into thin slices about 1 cm or just undr a 1/2 inch lay these on the top of the fillet. then do the same with with the mushroom mix. lay out the pastry and see if it fits. if not use the second sheet
              seal up the meat in the pastry and brush wirth eggyolk and milk mixed together.

Bake covered in foil for about 25 minutes in a hot oven and then remove the foil and bake for another 15 mins.

serve with a brandy, cream and pepper gravy. mix brandy cream and pepper in a pan heat to a boil and cook it down to half the orginal volume. .

I suggest fresh asparagus and French beans just cooked as a side dish.

sigpic

Comment

From Augusta:
                Southern Corn Pudding
                (Thick like custard, not runny)

½ cup butter
                ½ cup flour
                2 tsp salt
                1 Tbsp brown sugar (white sugar O.K.)
                3 ½ cups milk
                6 cups corn (canned or frozen-thawed)
                6 large eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).

Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat; stir in flour, salt, and brown sugar. Cook, stirring constantly, until a thick paste forms. Gradually add milk, stirring until liquid is thickened. Stir in corn and eggs. Cook 5 minutes. Pour into a buttered 2 ½ quart baking dish.

Bake in a water bath at 350 degrees for 1 ½ hours.

sigpic

Comment

From Curtmudgeon:
                  I'm not much of a cook; my real favourite recipe is (just about) anything someone else cooks (alternative favourite: 972-517-7000, the local Domino's Pizza phone number, the only phone number besides my own which I have memorised).

But here are two recipes that I have made from time to time. For the holidays:

Guinness Cake

8 oz. butter
                  8 oz. brown sugar
                  4 lg. eggs
                  10 oz. plain flour
                  2 tsp. mixed spice
                  1/2 tsp. baking soda
                  8 oz. seedless raisins
                  8 oz. sultanas
                  4 oz. chopped mixed peel
                  1/4 pt. Guinness Stout (drink the rest of the pint after you finish!)

Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F. Line & oil 8" cake tin. Cream butter & sugar till light, gradually beat in eggs with a little flour. Sift rest of flour, spice & baking soda together, & fold into creamed mix; add dried fruit & peel & 1/2 Guinness. Place in tin & bake 1 hr. Reduce heat to 300 degrees F & continue baking for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs., till skewer comes out clean. Cool in tin, then turn on wire rack, prick base & spoon on rest of Guinness. When cold, wrap in foil & store in cool place at least 2 weeks.

And yes, this is an edible fruit-cake, it comes out moist and very nice. The Guinness flavour does not overpower the cake, and if you don't drink alcohol you can leave off the after-baking Guinness (the alcohol cooks out of the Guinness in the cake mix, of course).

Non-holiday recipe:

My Grandmother's Homemade Ice Cream

4 eggs
                  1 cup sugar
                  1 qt. instant dry milk (that is, enough dry milk to make 1 qt when mixed)
                  1 can Eagle evaporated milk
                  Flavourings (see below)
                  about 1/2 gal. whole milk

Beat eggs well, add sugar and beat well. Mix dry milk, stir in evaporated milk and flavourings. Mix egg/sugar mixture into milk a little at a time. Pour all into freezer can. Finish filling with whole milk. Freeze according to ice cream freezer directions.

Flavourings

Grandmother's Traditional:
                  1 tbsp. vanilla extract
                  1/2 tsp. lemon extract
                  1/2 tsp. orange extract

Banana - substitute banana extract for vanilla above; if desired, stir in 1 lg. banana (sliced into bite-size pieces) when ice cream has reached "mush" stage

Rum Walnut:
                  2 tsp. rum extract (not rum!)
                  1 tsp. black walnut extract
                  1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
                  1/2 tsp. lemon extract
                  When ice cream has reached "mush" stage, stir in 2 cups chopped walnuts

Mint Chocolate Chip:
                  1 tbsp. mint extract
                  1/2 tsp, vanilla extract
                  1/2 tsp. lemon extract
                  When ice cream has reached "mush" stage, stir in 1 package mint chocolate chips

I've experimented with other flavour combinations as well; also I will often add food colouring to go with the flavour, if the extract itself doesn't provide much colour (but go easy with the colouring: I've had "noonday sunlight" banana ice cream that was just too yellow to eat without cringing). Grandmother always insisted that the lemon extract was the "secret" to making this, and so I almost always keep that no matter what the other flavourings are. Adding ingredients, like fruit, nuts or chips, is dicey: if you add them too early, they can freeze hard enough to break teeth, but if too late it's nearly impossible to mix them throughout the ice cream. So caveat chef.

The (who let that man in the kitchen??) Curtmudgeon

sigpic

Comment

From bandecoot:
                    maderia recipes:

A sauce for steaks or roast meats.

a cup of meat Glaze. ( this is stock so reduced it forms a thick syrupy glaze, I'm sure it is availablle in supermarkets.)
                    1/4 cup of maderia wine
                    a heaped tablespoon of Tomato paste.
                    a good grind of pepper.

add all the ingreds to a pan, heat it to a boil and reduce it back to syrup. POr over steak.

Maderia trifle:

Depending on how many you are feeding this varies. for 4 people:

One uniced sponge cake. cut in half from side to side then into 2 inch squares.

put a layer of these on the base of the dish. Sprinke with as much wine as you are happy with. Then spread with jam ( your choice) then add a layerof whipped cream then a layer of custard. repeat til you run out of cake.

This is a traditional Christmas dish at my house.

You can vary it with fruit pieces, ice cream (curtmudgeons look darn good)

But the above is the trad receipt.

sigpic

Comment

More from bandecoot:
                      Vegetables:

Steam Greens salad:

Start with Broccoli and steam then add Sliced courgette and lastly some chinese green like mustard and Bokchoy.

when the bokchoy is wilted and Bright green remove the lot and dress with a bressing made of 3 part oil and one part lemon juice with a splash of soy sauce and sesame oil. Mix it all up and eat warm.

Tempura Veges:

Make up the tempura batter. (it can be made from scratch but why bother)

Cut up Brocolli, carrots, courgette, mushrooms. Deep fry until just golden and dip in the following sauces.

Soy, lime juice sugar and chilli.

Tomato ketchup with sesame oil and Woustershire sauce.

Mayonaisse with Garlic and anchovies.

My personal fave:

Equal weights of Fresh peas, fresh asparagus, and Fresh brocolli steamed over water with Fresh mint in it.

Serve with melted butter salt and pepper or the dressing for the stemed vege salad.

sigpic

Comment

More from bandecoot, by request:
                        salmon fillets:

These dont really need much, salmon is a stong flavoured fish. I would simply put salt pepper on them and just Broil them as they are. Try serving them on a bed of the steamed salad and use the dressing as a sauce. But add a bit of lime juice to the dressing as well as lemon.

Blue Cod:

This one we can play a bit with.

Norman Cod,

ingreds

cod fillets sliced to even size and thickness.
                        jumbo shrimp
                        Hard apple cider or Calvados of a good dry white wine.
                        about half a pint of cream
                        a clove of garlic

fry the fillets in a pan in some light flavoured oilthen take them out add your shrimp peeled but leave the tail on(they look pretty that way) if the shrimp are raw cookthem until just pink if the are pre-cooked just wram them through. deglaze the pan with about a wineglass full of whatever alcohol you are using make sure you scrape up all the bits on the bottom of the pan. reduce it by a third and add the cream. stir it through then return the cod fillets to the pan and reduce the cream by at least a third. and serve with mashed pototoes.

Sea Bass:

if they are whole ones this is great.

slice a few chillis lenth ways and scrape the seeds out
                        peel and slice thinly a 2 inch cube of ginger
                        slice about 3 cloves of garlic into rounds

put the chilis ginger and garlic into the cavity of the fish and steam it for 20 mins.

OR

put a layer of damp salt on a baking sheet Put the fish on that and the cover the fish with a crust of damp salt and bake for about 35 mins.

If the prawns are cooked ones just salt pepper and lemon is the absolute best way to eat them so Im told. I'm allergic myself.

But I have cooked all the above for others and been told they are great.

sigpic

Comment

More from our favorite feline:
                          Originally posted by RTT
                          Gingerbread cookies

Makes about 3 ½ dozen cookies.
                          Preparation time about: 35 minutes
                          Chilling time about: 2 hours or overnight
                          Baking time: 10 -12 minutes
                          Cooing time about: 40 minutes

Ingredients
                          Ύ cup of vegetable shortening
                          Ύ cup firmly packed Dark brown sugar
                          ½ cup unsulfured molasses
                          1 TBS water
                          1 egg
                          3 Ύ cups all-purpose flour, divided
                          2 tsps ground ginger
                          1 tsp baking soda
                          1 tsp ground cinnamon
                          ½ tsp ground nutmeg
                          ½ tsp ground cardamom(this is the only recipe I know that calls for this spice)
                          Ό tsp ground cloves
                          ½ salt

1. In large bowl, with electric mixer at medium speed, beat shortening brown sugar, molasses and water until well blended. Add Egg beat well. In medium bowl combine flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon nutmeg, cardamom, cloves and salt. With mixer at low speed, gradually add flour mixture to shortening mixture, beating just until blended. Divide Dough into quarters. Wrap each quarter in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.

2. Pre heat oven at 350 degrees. Spread 1 tbs flour on large sheet of place dough quarter on floured paper: flatten slightly with hands. Flip dough. Cover with another large sheet of waxed paper. With rolling pin, roll out dough Ό inch thick.

3. Remove top sheet of waxed paper. With lightly floured cookie cutter cut out shapes. With large spatula. Transfer cookies to ungreased cookie sheets placing 2 inches across Repeat with remaining dough.

4. bake one cookie sheet at a time 10 to 12 minutes. Or until set. Cool 2 minutes. Remove cookies to racks to cool completely

5. Mean while prepare your favorite icing and in what ever colors you want to decorate. If so inclined you can place icing in pastry bag and pipe on to cookies.

sigpic

Comment

From bandecoot:
                            A quick and easy dessert for winterbound folk.

Poached peaches

2 peaches per person, and dont whine that you cant get peaches you know you can you just have to pay more for them.

2 cups of Bourbon, (dont worry all the alcohol cooks out)

2 cups sugar

4 cups of water.

makes a syrup with the water, bourbon and sugar and reduce by a third. halve the peaches and put them in the simmering syrup cut side down. simmer for 1 -4 mins per side (depending on how ripe the peaches are) remove and slip the skin off and remove the seeds. (its easier when they are cooked)

Serve with cream or icecream.

The syrup can be reduced even further and used as a topping for chocolate icecream.

Or just boiled and put away in the freezer you use again for poaching other peaches. It get a better flavour each time you use it, just add a half cup of sugar and a cup of water.

sigpic

Comment

More from bandecoot (There is no cabbage):

The death of the Cabbage Cult.

1 Chinese cabbage

Additions:
                              3 bunches bokchoy or any other Chinese greens
                              3 Carrots
                              2 Cucumbers
                              3 Heads broccoli
                              2 Bunches scallions
                              1 Apple
                              peel of 1 Lemon
                              a bunch of radishes. Or a Diakon if you can get one.

Paste:
                              rice vinegar
                              sesame oil
                              Kosher salt (or Soy sauce)
                              Crushed red pepper (coarse)
                              Crushed garlic
                              Sesame seeds

Directions:

Cut everything into just bigger than bite sized pieces, keeping the cabbage separate from the rest. Slice the radishes thinly.

Grab a handful of the salt and sprinkle it over the cabbage in a nonmetallic bowl, a big one. Really work this in until the cabbage starts to wilt. Then cover with some Clingfilm and put it out of the way while you do the rest.

Mix all the veggies with some salt and gently mix through. Cover with Clingfilm and put it next to the cabbage. Cut the lemon peel into thin slices

To make the flavour paste crush up 4 or 5 cloves of garlic with about a cup of dried red chili flakes with about 4 tablespoons of toasted sesame seeds. Add enough vinegar to make a smooth paste and add a teaspoon of the sesame oil. Add a little salt or soy sauce.

Now at this point you are saying “Woah bande, a cup of dried chilli?” My answer is yep, at least that. You can make it less hot if you like but this is how I make it.

Put this mix in a sealed jar and put it in the fridge.

Now wait three days. When you drain the liquid off the cabbage do it into a jug. Same with the vegetables. Keep them separate for now. Rinse off the cabbage, this is important as it not going to get any less salty from here on in. Then dry the cabbage as much as you can. Use a cloth to squeeze liquid out. Or dry it in the oven on low for a few hours. (this is optional)

Once this is done mix the cabbage and vegetables in a big bowl and mix together. Then add the chili paste and mix it through have a big jar ready and cleaned with boiling water.
                              Put the mix in the jar and add some of the reserved brine from the cabbage about a third of it. Then top up with the vegetable brine until it just covers. Some bits can be sticking out. Seal the jar and leave for a few days tasting daily. When it stops tasting like soggy raw cabbage and chili, it’s ready. Trust me you will know when.

It will last about a month in the fridge. Just getting better and better as it gets older.

sigpic

Comment

More from bandecoot:
                                8 ounces rice vermicelli (either the sen mee or the sen lek
                                style of Thai noodles, any rice noodles
                                will do). These should be soaked for a short while
                                (perhaps 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the
                                brand of noodles) until soft.

5-6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped.
                                2 tablespoon chopped shallots
                                quarter cup dried shrimp (these should be rolled, or roughly
                                pounded in a mortar and pestle to break them up or you may have to use fresh)
                                quarter cup fish sauce (Nam Plah)
                                quarter cup palm sugar ( or Brown sugar)
                                2-3 tablespoon tamarind juice (if you cant find this use fresh lemon juice with a teaspoon of sugar added)
                                2-3 tablespoon chopped, pickled raddish (mooli)
                                1 medium egg, beaten
                                quarter cup chopped chives
                                half cup roasted peanuts, very coarsely broken up.
                                one cup bean sprouts
                                half a cup of fried tofu that has been
                                marinated in dark sweet soy, or an equivalent amount of coarsely chopped cooked pork or chicken.

Heat a little cooking oil in a wok and add the garlic and shallots, and
                                briefly stir fry until they just shows signs of changing colour. Add the
                                remaining ingredients except the egg and the bean sprouts, and stir fry
                                until the protein ingredient is nearly cooked. Continuing to stir with
                                one hand, slowly "drizzle" in the beaten egg to form a fine ribbon fo
                                cooked egg (if you con't feel confident with this make an egg crepe
                                separately, and then roll it up and slice it into quarter inch wide
                                pieces, which you add to the mix at this point). Finely add the bean
                                sprouts and cook for no more than another 30 seconds. Remove from the
                                pan to a serving platter.Garnish

Mix a tablespoon of lime juice with a tablespoon of tamarind juice and a
                                tablespoon of fish sauce, and use this to marinade half a cup of
                                uncooked bean sprouts, half a cup of chopped chives, and half a cup of
                                very coarsely ground roasted peanuts. Sprinkle this mixture on the
                                cooked pad thai.

Pad thai is served as above, but Thais add copious amounts of the four
                                basic condiments (chilis in fish sauce, ground dried red chili, sugar
                                and crushed peanuts) at the table, to suit their individual
                                predilictions.

I borrowed this one from a friend of mine, who is Thai. This is how he makes it for his family.

I could have used one from my collection but it would have been a bit over the top. This way you control how hot it is. I have made this and just added my kim chi about 30 secs before serving.

sigpic

Comment