Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

The tweb recipe thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll post my recipe later.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Four Nut Fruitcake from NZ via my sister who lived there for a couple of years and married a Kiwi and so on.

2 c. raisins
      1 c. chopped dates
      1 c. red cherries, whole
      1 c. green cherries, whole
      2 candied pineapple rings, chopped
      2 c. pecan halves
      1 c. whole Brazil nuts
      1 c. whole hazelnuts
      2 c. whole blanched almonds
      3 c. flour
      4 tsp. baking powder
      1 tsp. salt
      2 c. soft butter
      2 c. sugar
      4 eggs
      1/2 c. orange juice
      2 tsp. vanilla
      2 tsp. almond extract

Grease 3 loaf pans and line bottoms with parchment or waxed paper. Heat oven to 350 F. Mix fruit and nuts in large bowl, add flour, baking powder, and salt, and mix well to coat fruit and nuts.

Beat butter with sugar and eggs until light and fluffy. Stir in orange juice and extracts. Add to fruit and nut mixture and mix very well. Spoon into pans.

Bake until a pick inserted in middle comes out clean, about 2 hours.

Remove from pans and cool on racks. Wrap in plastic and then foil, and freeze. Or eat.

This is a large recipe and can be halved. You could bake it in a bundt pan (maybe), or 2 small loaf pans if you half it.

I also leave out the Brazil nuts, because as much as I love them, they make MelMak's mouth itch. So I basically do a Three Nut Fruitcake.

It is really good.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Jello Cheese Cake Also from NZ via my sister who lived there and married a Kiwi, etc.

2 graham wafer crumb pie crusts
        8 oz. cream cheese, softened
        1/2 c. sugar
        1/4 c. lemon juice
        1 can evaporated milk
        1 pkg. 3 oz. lemon Jello
        lemon zest from one lemon (optional, better with)

Chill beaters and bowl in freezer for several hours. Chill milk well.

Make Jello with 1 c. boiling water. Set in fridge.

Beat milk until thick and add lemon juice. Beat cheese and sugar in another bowl until soft and well mixed. Add zest. Add to the thickened milk and then add partially set Jello. Beat all together and pour into crusts.

This cheesecake can be frozen. Wrap well in plastic, and remove and thaw in refrigerator.

I have also made this in tart shells. Makes at least 4 dozen. A very nice, light cheesecake.

I have also done this with orange jello and used a chocolate crumb crust. Lemon is better, but it's fun to experiment.

Comment

• This is wondeful. Very sweet, so it's important to use UNSWEETENED chocolate.

http://www.kraftcanada.com/recipes/c...meringue-88443

But very low fat!

Comment

• Almond Roca Cookie Bars from a friend. Very reminiscent of the candy. And super easy!

Line a small baking sheet with graham wafers. Sprinkle with slivered almonds.

Mix 1 c. butter and 3/4 c. brown sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes only! Very important!

Pour syrup evenly over graham wafers and almonds so all is covered. Bake at 350 F for 8 minutes.

Sprinkle top with chocolate chips. As they melt, spread around. Cool and cut.

Comment

• Just Right Sweet Tea:
              5-7 bags of Luzianne Tea
              2/3-3/4 of a cup of sugar

Boil the Tea Bags in 2 cups of water on the stove until water darkens. Remove from heat. Take the bags out and add the sugar. In a sturdy 2 qt pitcher add tea and enough water to make 2 full quarts. Serve over Ice and enjoy.

Spiced variation.

Use 3 bags of Luzianne and 1 bag of Constance Comment "Orange and Spice" and one Bag of Bigelow's Early Gray" Boil as above, Sweeten as above. Also makes 2 qts.
              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• My chili recipe. My mother and siblings call it "prison food" but my husband loves it and coworkers always comment that it smells good when I heat it up for lunch at work. I am making it for everyone at work soon per the assistant manager's request.

Feel free to tweak according to taste. It is at a "medium" spicy heat level as-is.

1 small onion
                2 fresh jalapeños (NOT pickled! Trust me!)
                3 cloves of garlic

1 can of corn, drained
                2 cans of diced tomatoes, do not drain
                3 cans of black beans

1 pound of meat (I use taco meat or chorizo (MEXICAN! NOT the Spanish stuff!), but if you use something with no seasoning in it already (ground pork is good, or chopped chicken) you may need to increase the spices, depending on how spicy you want it. I usually also add bacon. Because, bacon. Sometimes I put in a pound of bacon by itself, with no other meat.)
                2 tsp chipotle powder
                3 tsp cumin

In a large stockpot, saute the first 3 ingredients in a small amount of oil until cooked.
                Add the next 3 ingredients and bring to a simmer.
                Cook the meat and add it and the spices to the chili. If the instructions for your chorizo says to add eggs to it as part of the cooking process, don't. That's just for breakfast tacos. Should be obvious but I am sure someone will try it.
                Let it simmer for about an hour.
                It usually doesn't need salt because there is enough in the ingredients (especially if you used pre-spiced meat). You might need to add some but taste it first to make sure.
                Ladle chili over a layer of Fritos in a bowl and sprinkle cheddar cheese over it. I put a dollop of sour cream on top too but I am told I am weird for it. You can eat it however you like.
                Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

• Sauerbrauten-Style Stew

I made this off-the-cuff, based on the recipes I've seen for Sauerbrauten (Including the recipe Sparko shared on Old Tweb), while I was at my mother's place for Christmas. Turned out delicious.

-1kg Pack of stewing meat (or a similar size roast cut into bite-size pieces)
                  -2T Pickling Spices (If you don't have any on-hand, whip up your own with some mustard seeds, peppercorns, cinnamon, coriander, dried pepper flakes, whole cloves, and some ground ginger with primary focus on the first two ingredients)
                  -1 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
                  -1/2 Cup Cider Vinegar
                  -1C Beef stock/broth (preferably homemade, but anything will work as long as there ain't much salt in it)
                  -Water
                  -Mirepoix (1 Carrot/2 Onion/1 Celery, chopped)
                  -Butter/Oil

1. Sprinkle the beef with some salt (I prefer Kosher Salt for this kind of thing). Skip this step if your beef stock/broth has salt in it already
                  2. In a frying pan, sear the meat. If there's any yummy bits stuck to the pan, deglaze with the broth/stock.
                  3. In a food-safe container, place the meat alongside the vinegar and spices. Cover with the broth and some water and let sit in the fridge overnight.
                  4. In a saucepan, cook the Mirepoix with some butter or oil till translucent.
                  5. Add the beef and the liquid and cover, cooking till fork-tender.
                  5a. If you desire, once the meat is done, reduce till it's thickened to your liking.
                  6. Serve in a bowl with some mashed potatoes or egg noodles.
                  Last edited by Chaotic Void; 01-03-2015, 08:59 PM.
                  Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

• Creme de Menthe Sandwiches (cookies)

8 Andes Creme de Menthe candies
                    4 graham crackers

Unwrap eight Andes Creme de Menthe candies. Break the graham crackers carefully into four segments. Place one graham cracker segment on a microwave safe plate. Place a candy on top. Place a second segment on top of the candy. Repeat with all the cracker segments and candies.

Carefully place plate in microwave. Microwave on high for 15 - 30 seconds. Take the plate out and push the top of each sandwich gently downward. Allow to cool.

The sandwiches should be stuck firmly together once cool. You may have to experiment with the time in the microwave to get them to melt correctly. If they get too runny or too hot, place the plate in the refrigerator to cool. Once complete they can be eaten as is or dipped in regular or white chocolate.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Spaghetti sauce

1 package (12-16 oz or so) thick sliced smoked bacon, cut into smaller pieces (or smoked lardons, of you can get them)
                        1 red onion, chopped
                        3 cloves of garlic, pressed
                        1 large can of tomato sauce, OR 2 500ml boxes of passata (or similar)
                        1 large can of diced tomatoes
                        large handful each of fresh basil and oregano
                        black pepper
                        I usually add one or more of: several chopped carrots, zucchini (courgettes), or broccoli. You can add other stuff too. Go crazy.
                        You can add cooked chopped chicken if you want.

In a stockpot, heat the bacon on med-high until it is almost done. Add the onion and stir frequently until it is cooked. Caramelise the onion, if skill permits.
                        Add the tomatoes, garlic, herbs and pepper. Bring to a simmer. I use ingredients with salt in already so I don't normally have to add more.
                        If you add veggies, you can add softer things like zucchini directly to the sauce and let it simmer until the veggies are cooked the way you like. Harder ones like carrots should be steamed a bit first before adding so you don't have to let the sauce cook all day to get the veggies cooked.

Serve on pasta and add parmesan.
                        Last edited by QuantaFille; 01-11-2015, 06:34 PM. Reason: Forgot the garlic!!

Comment

• Split Pea Soup

1 package thick sliced smoked bacon, cut into smaller pieces. Or lardons. Or diced ham, or ham hock. I almost always use smoked lardons if I can get them.
                          1 chopped onion
                          1 1-lb (500g) bag of green split peas
                          3-4 diced carrots
                          4-5 diced white potatoes, or 2 Russets. Dice the potatoes twice the size of the carrots so you can add them together and not worry about the potatoes cooking faster and turning to mush.
                          Marjoram and thyme, to taste (Teaspoon? Tablespoon? I don't measure.)
                          Salt and pepper, to taste

In a stockpot, heat the bacon on med-high until almost done. Add the onion. When the onion is done, add the peas and enough water to cover by several inches. Bring to a simmer and cook for about an hour. Stir occasionally and add boiling water if the water level gets lower than the peas.
                          Add the veggies and seasonings. Cook for another hour, or until the veggies are just done and the peas have cooked down to mush.
                          Eat.

Comment

• Dal with rice

1 chopped onion
                            1-2 cloves garlic
                            4-5 chopped Roma tomatoes
                            1-2 T curry powder
                            1 tsp chipotle powder
                            1 1lb (500g) bag of lentils, sorted and rinsed (I can normally only find one variety of lentil in any given grocery store, but I have used several different ones and they all work well)
                            salt and pepper
                            1 cup of rice

In a stockpot, put the lentils and about 3 quarts of water. Let it come to a simmer.
                            In a frying pan, cook the onion. When the onion is almost done, add the garlic. Add the onion, garlic, and tomatoes to the stockpot.
                            Add the spices, but NOT the salt yet. Let it simmer for at least an hour. Stir occasionally.

About a half hour before the lentils are done, start the rice. Put the rice in a smaller stockpot (about 4 quart size) and add 2 cups of water. Add butter and salt if you want. Let it come to a boil, turn it down to a simmer and cover for 20 minutes. Do not take the lid off while it is cooking. When it is done and the water is absorbed, fluff with a fork.

When the lentils are cooked down to mush, add salt and serve over rice. If you add salt before the lentils are done, it hardens the skin and it can't absorb water and they will never cook.
                            Last edited by QuantaFille; 01-15-2015, 09:26 AM.

Comment

• Buzzword's Beer Chili

2 lbs ground turkey (leaner than beef and doesn't need to be drained after browning)
                              1 onion, diced
                              1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
                              1 (29 ounce) can kidney beans, undrained
                              1 (29 ounce) can pinto beans, undrained
                              2 cups beer (I prefer a wheat beer such as Boulevard unfiltered or POINT Belgian white ale)
                              1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
                              1 (4.5 ounce) can chopped green chilies
                              2 tablespoons chili powder
                              1 tablespoon ground cumin
                              2 teaspoons ground black pepper
                              2 teaspoons salt

1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Crumble ground turkey into the skillet; add onion. Cook and stir until the turkey is crumbly and completely browned, 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer turkey and onion to a slow cooker.
                              2. Stir tomato sauce, kidney beans, pinto beans, beer, diced tomatoes, green chilies, chili powder, cumin, salt, and black pepper into the turkey and onion.
                              3. Cook on High 4 to 5 hours.
                              “In many ways the evidence of our faith is found in our ability to control our tongue (or our keyboard)."
                              -Adam Hamilton, Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White

Comment

• I used to work in the kitchen at Kentucky Fried Chicken and was commenting on facebook about the coleslaw and ended up making some yesterday, so I thought I would post the recipe here too.

KFC Cole Slaw.

1 bag of coleslaw mix (chopped cabbage and carrots)
                                1/3 cup of chopped vidalia (sweet) onions (more or less depending on you like of onions)
                                Miracle whip - enough to moisten to your liking.
                                Sugar - I used about 2 tablespoons, but you can add more or less to your liking.
                                Tarragon vinegar - add a splash or two, taste, then, add more if you like. I used about 1 teaspoon, maybe a bit less.

Refrigerate it overnight to let the flavors mix.

Comment