Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

The tweb recipe thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A great place to keep your recipes is allrecipes.com

You can save other people's recipes there too.

Comment

• here's one:
      Home Fries
      5 or 6 medium sized yellow russet potatoes
      Cooking Oil
      Salt

Peel the potatoes and slice them Thin and round
      Heat two inches of cooking oil in a large saucepan using the medium high setting on the stove, watch the oil until small bubbles form.
      Alternatively heat oil in a fat frier to 350.
      Drop a layer of potatoes in and let them brown. Pull them out. Salt to taste. Repeat until finishes
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• I love the allrecipes website too, great resource!

Comment

• Is this only for original recipes, or can we share some we've found and can't live without?

Comment

• Any recipe one likes is worth having here, d!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Yeah just give the attribution to whoever's recipe it is if you know.

Comment

• Thanks, Sparko! I'll have a couple tomorrow - too late to dig them out tonight! LOL

Comment

• Ok. I didn't intentionally lie about having some recipes to share when I said I would on the 9th. It's been a rough month around here, and it's only just begun. But here's one for you guys to savor - never fails to have successful taste tests with eyes-rolling-back-in-your-head reactions:

CHAI CUPCAKES
                  (from Taste of Home - www.tasteofhome.com)

1/2 tsp each ground ginger, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves
                  1/8 tsp pepper
                  1/2 cup butter, softened
                  1 cup sugar
                  1 egg
                  1/2 tsp vanilla extract
                  1-1/2 cups cake flour
                  1-1/2 tsp baking powder
                  1/4 tsp salt
                  2/3 cup 2% milk
                  Frosting:
                  6 tbsp butter, softened
                  3 cups confectioners' sugar
                  3/4 tsp vanilla extract
                  3 to 4 tbsp 2% milk
                  Ground cinnamon

In a small bowl, combine the ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and pepper; set aside.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and 1-1/2 tsp spice mixture. Gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.

Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350 degrees for 24-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.

Frosting: In a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy; beat in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and remaining spice mixture until smooth. Add enough milk to reach desired consistence. Pipe frosting over cupcakes; sprinkle with cinnamon.

Yield: 1 dozen

This is a great alternative to overly-sweet cupcakes - not like the ones you'd serve the kids at a birthday party! The spice mixture drastically cuts the sweetness of the confectioners' sugar. Trust me - 1 dozen won't be enough!!!!

Enjoy!
                  Dawn

Comment

• Delicious Potato Salad. The brand names I'm giving are the type I used to make this.

2.5 lbs of little red potatoes
                    6 stalks of celery
                    9 Cooked slices of bacon ( I had three of them as the the maple/brown sugar kind)
                    1 medium yellow onion
                    4 eggs
                    2 teaspoons of french's yellow mustard.
                    1/2 a cup of hellman's mayonnaise
                    1/2 a cup of regular full fatted sour cream
                    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
                    1 teaspoon salt

1)Cut potatoes in half and Boil the potatoes skin on, to test for doneness you should be able to prick a fork through easily but potatoes should not fall apart. To "quick cool" drain in the sink using a colander and run under hot water.
                    2) Boil Eggs to Hard Boiling and Peel Appropriately. Eggs may also be quick cooled under cool water for slicing.
                    3) Dice the potatoes skin on into small chunks. Put in a Large Mixing bowl
                    4) Dice Eggs and add to potatoes.
                    5) Finely dice onion and celery. Combine with egg and potato.
                    6) Crumble bacon slices over mixture and add salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
                    7) Add Mustard, Mayonnaise and sour cream. Combine all ingredients mixing well, bringing the bottom to the top to ensure that the mayo mustard and sour cream coat the potato mixture evenly. Cover and set aside to be served.
                    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Simple great healthy southern summer recipes

Stir fried Vidalia Onions. Simple cut up one Vidalia Onions and lightly stir fry in two table spoons of Canola oil. Do not over fry. the nose knows. Do not use salt! Let the individual salt if desired.

Great for breakfast for a low carb healthy alternative to fried potatoes.

Next . . . Slice a Vidalia Onion about 1/2" thick (1.22 cm) grill or fry lightly, and put on sandwiches with a large sliced fresh tomato, mayo, and grated cheese. Whole wheat buns are best. Optional road kill for carnivores may be added if one feels necessary.
                      Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-15-2014, 07:10 AM.
                      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• This just looks good:

Bacon & Brown Sugar Crackers

Bacon & Brown Sugar Crackers
                        24 crackers
                        (Printable Recipe)

• 1 sleeve Town House crackers (about 24)
                        • 8 slices thin bacon, cut in thirds
                        • 3-4 Tbsp brown sugar

Preheat oven to 250. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and place a cooling rack on top.

Wrap each cracker in a piece of bacon and place it on the rack. Sprinkle with brown sugar

Bake for 2 hours or until bacon is crispy.

I suggest doubling or tripling this recipe for a crowd.

Read more: http://www.plainchicken.com/2014/09/...#ixzz3D75DBpZ5
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Sad day, beginning of Autumn and Vidalia have faded from the market.
                          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Yep, but fresh collards are just around the corner!
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ke-recipe.html

I just finished making this fruitcake earlier today, and it's currently being aged as we speak.

I did, however, make a few tweaks (due to lack of ingredients and because I felt like experimenting)
                              -I had to substitute some of the dried fruits with some candied fruit/cherries and dried mango. From what I've read, you can do as many mix-n-matches with fruitcake contents as long as you maintain proportions (ie, if it calls for X cups/pounds of dried fruit, you should be safe as long as your substitutions add up to the same).
                              -instead of putting in spices, I used some Spiced Rum (Sailor Jerry, fwiw).

A tiny chunk of the fruitcake got stuck to the pan I cooked it in, so I managed to sneak a sample before I started basting with the brandy. Seriously... if it wasn't so dense, I'd swear it would have melted in my mouth.
                              Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

• Candied ginger in a fruitcake sounds yummy!

I would leave out the booze and use orange juice instead, though.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment