Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

The tweb recipe thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Cobra:
    Trim the fat off a pork loin
    Roast it covered in the oven for four hours at 375 (or until it pulls apart easily) in a big pan that also can be on the stove top
    (chicken is an alternative or an addition)
    Cut 3 peeled potatoes into small cubes while it is roasting
    Chop, shred, or pull the pork into small pieces in the same pan

Put the pan on the stove top and add the potatoes, some dehydrated onions, a big can of crushed tomatoes, a big can of petite diced tomatoes, and a bottle of bbq sauce . If it looks too thick, add some water or some more crushed tomatoes.
    Bring to a boil and let boil a few minutes (the potatoes take the longest to cook)
    Add a bag of frozen lima beans and a bag of frozen corn
    Optional -- throw in some hot pepper
    Simmer another 30 minutes until the lima beans don't seem raw anymore.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

From LittleShepherd:
      y request of the Tugger, I shall share my strange little recipe with you all. This is a recipe that I developed both because I'm too impatient to use the oven and too lazy to clean a broiler.

Scrambled Salmon:
      Ingredients:
      Salmon fillets. I prefer my salmon without the skin, but if you prefer to leave the skin on I don't think it'll hurt anything.
      Oil. Or other product, such as nonstick cooking spray, that will serve the same purpose.
      Seasoning. My favorite fish seasoning is Greek seasoning, but if you prefer another seasoning with your salmon use it.
      Directions:
      Oil a frying pan and heat it up.
      Toss in your salmon fillet(s) and cook them.
      Flip them as they cook, and break salmon off in small chunks as you can. Eventually, you should be able to break up the entire salmon into tiny bits. This is why I call it "scrambled salmon."
      Continue to move it around until it's cooked thoroughly.
      Season and serve. If the seasoning you use has tough bits or granules of salt, you may want to add it earlier while cooking in order to melt or soften it.

And that's it. It doesn't take very long. And all you have to clean up afterwards is a frying pan, and those are much easier to clean than a broiler. I can't stand scrubbing the broiler.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

From Vigilante:

SPICY PIZZA CRISP

Ingredients:
        Large flour tortilla
        Pepperonis
        Cheddar and mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses (I like cheese)
        Butter

Assortment of spices:
        Crushed red peppers
        Paprika
        Chili powder
        Pizza seasoning
        Italian seasoning
        Garlic salt

To make:
        Take your tortilla and spread our fairly evenly your cheddar and mozzarella. Then spread some Parmesan cheese over it. Try not to have TO thick of cheese, your toilet will thank you later
        Place your desired amount of pepperonis over the cheese. I like about 1/2" between them, this allows the grease to get most of the crisp.
        Over the whole thing, apply liberally your red peppers, paprika, chili power, and seasonings (more of the Italian seasoning then pizza), but not the salt.

Heat up a skillet on medium low, you don't want it to cook to fast. When it's hot enough to boil butter, spread some butter over the skillet and layer some garlic salt on the butter. Then place the crisp on the skillet.

Cook until the top is fully melted and the pepperoni grease has seeped into the cheese. The bottom of the tortilla should be lightly browned, and the whole thing stiff as a board.
        Remove from heat, wait 45 seconds, and dig in!

While the first one is cooking, you can be making another, or cleaning up the mess.
        The great thing about this is that the only non-standard ingredient is the pepperonis, as most people have the rest all the time. And anybody with any basic spice rack will have the seasonings. There is practically no mess, and the skillet is cleaned with a wipe of a paper towel just to get the butter grease off.
        Cooking the tortilla on the garlic salt helps the bottom from getting burned, and also gives a great salty taste on your tongue with each bite. MMMMMMMMMmmmmm goooood!
        You will never look at cheese crisp the same again. Pizza crisp all the way!
        This is a very HOT pizza, the flavor is just not the same if you leave off all the spices.

Enjoy!

sigpic

Comment

From technomage:
          Mom's "Death By Chocolate" Chocolate Cookies

NO substitution.

1 c butter (NOT margarine), room temp
          2/3 c white sugar
          2/3 c dark brown sugar
          2 large eggs
          1 tsp vanilla

Mix this in a stand-mixer with a paddle blade if at all possible. Switch to a dough hook for the next step.

Mix the dry ingredients bwelow in a bowl, and gradually add to the wet ingredients while mixing with the dough hook.

2 1/4 c flour (Gold Medal is recommended if available)
          3/4 c cocoa
          1 1/2 tsp baking soda
          Optional: 2 c additives (choc chips. nuts, M&Ms, whatever)
          Optional: 2 tsp cinnamon

You'll end up with a very stiff dough--about as stiff as bread dough. Roll this dough out into balls about 3/4 to 1 inch in diameter, place them on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten the balls somewhat, as they don't tend to spread out very much.

Cook for 9-11 min @ 325*F.

Let stand 2-3 min on pan before moving to wire rack.
          Haven't heard from him in quite some time now, and last we knew he was in dire straights.

sigpic

Comment

From Quanta's Mum (her only post!):
            LUNAR CHEESECAKE

Now we know why the man in the moon is smiling. This light, dry cheesecake is out of this world.

Basic crumb crust:
            1 ½ cups vanilla wafer crumbs
            6 Tablespoons butter, melted
            ¼ cup granulated sugar

· If you are prebaking the shell, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
            · Place the crumbs in a mixing bowl and add the butter and sugar. Blend well.
            · Press the crumb mixture onto the bottom and partly up the sides of a greased 10-inch baking dish, pie pan, or springform mold. Smooth the crumb mixture along the bottom to an even thickness.
            · Chill the crust for 5 to 10 minutes in the freezer until it is set, or bake for 10 minutes in a 350-degree oven. Cool before filling.

Cheesecake mixture:
            1 ½ pounds cream cheese
            1 2/3 cups powdered sugar
            1 T all-purpose flour
            7 large eggs, separated
            2 cups sour cream
            2 tsp. vanilla extract

· Preheat the oven to 275 degrees.
            · In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese with 1 1/3 cups sugar and add the flour until the mixture is smooth and light.
            · Add the egg yolks, one at a time, thoroughly blending after each.
            · Beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then gradually add the remaining sugar; continue beating until the whites form stiff peaks.
            · Stir the sour cream and the vanilla into the cheese mixture. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
            · Pour the mixture into the prepared crust and bake for about 1 hour, 30 minutes. Cool in the oven with the door ajar. Chill. Serve with cherry pie filling (or any other fruit) and whipped cream, if desired.

sigpic

Comment

From Teallaura:
              Teallaura's 4 x 8 Cheese Log

I devised this in desperation because I had a subtlety I wanted to make but I couldn't find a cheese log recipe I liked. This has gotten rave reviews every time I've used it.

Chilled, it will hold a general shape but is not suitable for standing shapes. Makes a good spread as well.

Teallaura's 4 x 8 Cheese Log

1 - 8oz package of Velveta
              1 - 8 oz package of cream cheese
              1 - 8 oz package of shredded mild cheddar cheese
              1 - 8 oz jar of pepper jelly

Allow cheeses to stand until they are soft enough to work. Combine cheeses in a large bowl and add 1/3 of the pepper jelly. Knead until well combined, adding pepper jelly as the mix incorporates. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Refrigerate overnight if forming cheese log.

sigpic

Comment

From Chaotic Void:
                CV's Potato Salad... with BACON!

5 lbs red potatoes. chopped into bite-size pieces (I recommend you leave the skin on. The extra fibre and color don't hurt)
                1 500g pack of BACON!
                1 850 ml Jar Mayonnaise
                8 eggs
                1/4 cup Mustard
                Fistful of Chives (fresh out of the garden, preferably)
                Salt and Pepper, to taste.

1. Boil the potatoes till they're reasonably soft. Drain 'em and put 'em in a bowl (preferably the one you're going to have the salad in. Keeps the dishes to a minimum)
                2. Chop the bacon up into pieces, then fry it. (Save the grease for whatever you fry next.)
                3. Hard-boil the eggs.
                4. Cover and Cool all the ingredients. While you do that, mix up the mayo, the mustard and the chives
                4a. Peel the eggs and chop into pieces
                5. Mix everything together, being careful not to mash the potatoes TOO much (this is supposed to be a chunky potato salad, after all).

Needless to say, this makes a MASSIVE bowl of Potato Salad. Perfect for family barbeques or various other summer gatherings. I made this a couple days ago off the top of my head for the BBQ my roommates and I were having, and it was a smash hit (with quite a bit left over).
                Last edited by One Bad Pig; 02-03-2014, 09:37 PM.

sigpic

Comment

From Catholicity (now numberless!):
                  The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever!!!

2 Cups Organic Unbleached Flour.
                  1 tsp baking soda
                  1/2 tsp sea salt
                  1-1/2 cup pure cane (must have the molasses still in it) coarse sugar
                  2 free range eggs
                  2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted raw butter (pasteurized is fine if raw isn't available)
                  2 teaspoons vanilla
                  2 cups mini chocolate chips
                  1-1/4 cups chopped nuts (hazelnuts or walnuts) optional

Cream Butter and Sugar either by hand or with an electric mixer, add eggs one at a time, then vanilla (taste if you dare, yum) Add, Flour, baking soda and salt, dough should form soft and stretchy. Stir in Chips and Nuts with a Wooden Spoon.
                  Preheat Oven to 350 Farenheit. (For Celcius users multiply Farenheit By 5/9)
                  Drop Cookies by teaspoon for minis or use a 1/4 cup measure for larger size. bake 9-11 minutes for crispy cookie or 8 minutes for soft cookie.
                  Enjoy.
                  P.S. This Recipe Comes from me Catholicity26, so please do not reprint this without permission.

sigpic

Comment

From His Hairness:
                    Originally posted by Chaotic Void
                    Ingredients:
                    -Liver, prepared the way you like it
                    -Large, ripe Tomatoes (Beefsteak, preferably)
                    -Mushrooms (Any variety, really...)
                    -Green Onions
                    *Note: The veggies have to be fresh. And chopped.

1. Prepare the liver how you like it (Me? Coat it in a mix of Cornmeal, salt n Pepper then fry it till it's shoe leather). Remove it from the pan, cut it up and set it aside
                    2. Throw in a little oil (Extra Virgin Olive Oil works for me) and the Mushrooms and Green Onion. Fry 'em up on Medium-High heat till the mushrooms are cooked.
                    3. Throw in the tomatoes and let it simmer on medium heat. Once they get mushy and turn into a sauce toss the liver back in and cook for a while.

It's almost like a stew. According to my co-worker, you're supposed to serve it with mashed potatoes (but personally I think this stuff tastes really good as-is). If you want, you could probably fry some bacon up with the liver and toss that in as well (I'd likely use my homemade stuff next time I make this recipe).

sigpic

Comment

• From our resident pirate (who doesn't do anything):
                      Originally posted by Sparko
                      I had HoneyDew Jalepeno salad this weekend. It was great.

sweet and spicy but not really hot.

Basically chop up a honeydew melon into potatoe salad size chunks, and chop up 1 fresh jalepeno (small pieces), toss in some fresh cilantro to taste, and add 1/4 cup of rice wine vinegar.

sigpic

Comment

• Cooking tip from the pirate:
                        Originally posted by Sparko
                        Cooking tip:

Making the perfect corn on the cob:

1. Buy the corn on with the entire husks and all attached.
                        2. Microwave each ear for about 4-5 min (leave husk on)
                        3. On the stem end, cut through the cob about 1 row up from the last row of corn.
                        4. Grab the silk end and shake the corn cob out of the bottom (where you just cut)

The corn will come out completely silk free.

After this you can also put the corn on a grill if you want to. Sometimes I brush a little BBQ sauce on the corn and toss it on the grill for a few min.

sigpic

Comment

• Pages 11 and 12 of the old thread appear to have vanished into the ether. Teallaura, could you please re-post your recipe for German potato salad?

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                            I think I had a lemon cheesecake recipe in there, and my four-nut fruitcake, but I can only see up to about page 10.

If you find those recipes, OB One, will you repost them here?

I didn't see them, sorry. And fruitcake is of the devil anyway.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              I didn't see them, sorry. And fruitcake is of the devil anyway.
                              That's okay.

I still have the recipes, and will post them later.

And my four-nut fruitcake is really quite good.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• LOL! When I saw there were 88 replies I thought we had an invasion from the Food Channel!

I have a few but I'll need to dig em up.
                                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X