Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Deep Fryers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep Fryers

Not to be outdone by Cow Poke and his Pizza Stone thread, I am starting my own thread!

I just got a deep fryer. And I like it! I am using peanut oil in it. It makes great fries and chicken fingers. That's all I have done with it so far.

Anyone else have and use a deep fryer? Do you like it? any tips?

presto-cooldaddy-deep-fryer-lg-a.jpg

I have used one but don't own one. I can tell you just from cooking experience that peanut oil is absolutely the best for frying. Peanut oil is also great for making sweets that call for oil :) you can also use 1/2 peanut and 1/2 butter in things like cookies and brownies and cakes and the texture is just amazing. Also funnel cakes and apple fritters are cool to make in a fat fryer. Some things do need a lighter oil so consider doing 1/2 peanut and 1/2 canola for things like turnovers and crab cakes or fried wonton noodles.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Yeah I read that peanut oil was best for frying, especially at higher temps because it has a high smoking point.

I think I want to try fish fillets next.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        any tips?
        Chicken wings of course (without the tips). Drumsticks are good too. No need to add anything to them before frying either, especially if the side-dish/dip/sauces are salty enough on their own.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Yeah I read that peanut oil was best for frying, especially at higher temps because it has a high smoking point.

I think I want to try fish fillets next.
          Unfortunately, when we had a FryDaddy, fish was the one thing that stayed "smelly" in the house days after frying.

Naturally, you're going to have to try some chicken fried bacon in your fryer!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I LOVES me some deep fried mushrooms, and your little gadget would be perfect for those ---- as well as mozzarella cheese sticks.

Oh, and fried pickles!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Unfortunately, when we had a FryDaddy, fish was the one thing that stayed "smelly" in the house days after frying.

Naturally, you're going to have to try some chicken fried bacon in your fryer!
              Solution - batter fry (of course all I have ever fried is halibut - not a smelly fish to start with)
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I have fried all sorts of things in batter. Ordinary stuff like cheese and onion, but batter fried apple, and several other things that were just experiments. I do not recall what they were but all turned out quite well and tasty.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I LOVES me some deep fried mushrooms, and your little gadget would be perfect for those ---- as well as mozzarella cheese sticks.

Oh, and fried pickles!
                  all those sound great.

Comment

OK I have been experimenting with my deep fryer.

I found some EXCELLENT ready to use cajun fish breading mix. I will post a photo of it when I get home. Looks like some home-made mom and pop type product. I tried it on fish, chicken strips and fried pickles and even fried jalapenos. Tastes great on all of them. Not too spicy either. Tastes like something you would get at a restaurant. I bet it would make great onion rings too.

I went to Kroger and bought various batter mixes to try out. The one above (I wish I could remember the name!) was the best. You did it like shake and bake, to coat the item, then fry it. Second best was Pride of the West batter mix. You had to add water to that to make a batter and then dip the stuff in it and fry it. It was pretty good, kinda like long john silvers. Then I tried McCormick beer batter mix. It was OK but not that flavorful or as crispy as the Pride of the West batter.

Fry time: about 4 minutes for chicken strips or thin fish fillets.

Comment

What oil are you using?

(And DON'T tell me 10W30)

Comment

What oil are you using?

(And DON'T tell me 10W30)
                        10W40?

I already said Peanut oil above. sheesh.

Comment

10W40?

You expect me to READ that?!?!?!?!

Comment

10W40?

For CRYIN OUT LOUD, that was back in FEBRUARY! I've slept a couple times since then!

That does it --- POOP!

POOP, I say!

Comment

For CRYIN OUT LOUD, that was back in FEBRUARY! I've slept a couple times since then!

That does it --- POOP!

POOP, I say!
                              Nah. I don't think frying in poop would work too well. Peanut oil is better.

Comment