Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Budgeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zymologist
    replied
    Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    the nearest plasma centers are like 60 minutes from here...on interstates infamous for traffic jams. I've Googled for mobile units, but I guess plasma is too time consuming to be practical.
    Bummer. Yeah, if you have to travel any significant distance to do it, I don't think it's worth it.

Leave a comment:

• DesertBerean
    replied
    Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    Yeah, there are others, Biolife is just the one I'm familiar with.

I would really recommend checking out donating plasma, because it really is fairly easy money. However, if you have any issues with needles, then I may have to advise against it, because the plasma needle is a lot bigger than, say, the needle for a blood sample at a clinic. I was shocked the first time I saw it. Most of the time the pain is pretty minimal, but it may be a bit of a barrier at first.

The pain also depends on the individual phlebotomist, though; some are better at sticking than others. Depends on your veins, too--mine are relatively easy.
    the nearest plasma centers are like 60 minutes from here...on interstates infamous for traffic jams. I've Googled for mobile units, but I guess plasma is too time consuming to be practical.

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    We eat em' up here. Good roadkill. And it is often distributed to needy families. I got some liver a few years ago and had some liverwurst made from it. Yum.

ETA: Moose meat is almost like vegetarian, moose eat twigs, eh?

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Here they leave them frozen on the side of the road until spring.

Leave a comment:

• Catholicity
    replied
    hrmm no here they'd give it a buriel

Leave a comment:

• DesertBerean
    replied
    LOL...in California, they probably have a register...but for volunteers to come cremate the remains and scatter the ashes over the road.

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    A well, nice thought. I have some friends who are on the list to harvest moose killed by automobiles. Is there any such program where you are? Not necessarily moose of course.

Leave a comment:

• Catholicity
    replied
    Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Ice fishing. It is big in Alaska. I have not been in years though.
    Oh we don't do that here. The temperature can go from -1 to 50 in one day and back to -5. No joke. The ice isn't stable nor thick enough. To do it you have to go up to the northern part of Iowa or Nebraska. (5 hour drive) No one is allowed on lakes rivers or Frozen streams in winter.
    But we can get wild game in the right place...

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
    All the lakes are frozen over It gets that cold here at night. The best fishing comes in two months when they thaw out. Deer hunting is at its prime next month. Not sure who hunts around here, I need to find out. So that's a good idea Sparky. Venison is a delicious meat and makes excellent steaks and stew. Most critters hibernate January/Feb. Except Squirrels and rabbit.
    Ice fishing. It is big in Alaska. I have not been in years though.

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    . . . However, if you have any issues with needles, then I may have to advise against it, because the plasma needle is a lot bigger than, say, the needle for a blood sample at a clinic. I was shocked the first time I saw it. Most of the time the pain is pretty minimal, but it may be a bit of a barrier at first.

The pain also depends on the individual phlebotomist, though; some are better at sticking than others. Depends on your veins, too--mine are relatively easy.
    I never have...although the first time you donate I think they give you a bottle of water and some crackers or something. It is highly recommended that you drink a lot of water well before you donate; it makes donating much easier and faster.
    True of blood donation too.

Leave a comment:

• Catholicity
    replied
    All the lakes are frozen over It gets that cold here at night. The best fishing comes in two months when they thaw out. Deer hunting is at its prime next month. Not sure who hunts around here, I need to find out. So that's a good idea Sparky. Venison is a delicious meat and makes excellent steaks and stew. Most critters hibernate January/Feb. Except Squirrels and rabbit.

Leave a comment:

• DesertBerean
    replied
    When I coordinated the blood drives for my division, they gave leftover cookies to us after the last group of donors.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    I never have...although the first time you donate I think they give you a bottle of water and some crackers or something. It is highly recommended that you drink a lot of water well before you donate; it makes donating much easier and faster.
    Actually, I used to donate a lot (til I did a mission trip to Haiti, then I was on the "no" list) and they always gave me orange juice and cookies.

Leave a comment:

• Zymologist
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Do you still get a glass of milk and a chocolate chip cookie? Do they substitute DARK chocolate when you're doing plasma instead of regular?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Yeah, there are others, Biolife is just the one I'm familiar with.

I would really recommend checking out donating plasma, because it really is fairly easy money. However, if you have any issues with needles, then I may have to advise against it, because the plasma needle is a lot bigger than, say, the needle for a blood sample at a clinic. I was shocked the first time I saw it. Most of the time the pain is pretty minimal, but it may be a bit of a barrier at first.

Do you still get a glass of milk and a chocolate chip cookie? Do they substitute DARK chocolate when you're doing plasma instead of regular?

Leave a comment: