Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Bachelor cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bachelor cooking

I'm not much into grocery shopping, and not much into eating out, either. So I end up making a lot of what you might call everything that's left in the cupboard "bachelor" meals ... the kind you don't mind eating yourself, but wouldn't dream of serving to a kid, or a guest, or your s.o.

Tonight was jasmine rice, cause I still had rice.
    And a big can of crushed tomatoes tossed in, cause I still had a few cans of crushed tomatoes.
    And a small can of whole kernel sweet corn, cause I still had one last can.
    And a handful of salad olives, cause that's what was left in the jar.
    With some dried hot peppers shredded into that.
    And a solid dash of the ultra-dark soy sauce I picked up at the oriental store a couple of years ago.

I've got to press and hold and press again and press some more on the buttons on my programmable pressure cooker before I can get it to believe I want something cooked, but it's not dead yet, so I'm not going to replace it.

All in all, not much to look at, but it tasted just fine. Toss a sprig of parsley into it, which I don't have, and it'd probably look okay anyway.

And there's enough left over for dinner tomorrow, too. Another day without grocery shopping, yay!

I think it's illegal to cook people, whether they are bachelors or not.

Seriously, though -- Mrs CP and I are trying to do the same thing with just the two of us.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I am no bachelor, but I do like to cook all sorts of stuff based on oatmeal.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
        I'm not much into grocery shopping, and not much into eating out, either. So I end up making a lot of what you might call everything that's left in the cupboard "bachelor" meals ... the kind you don't mind eating yourself, but wouldn't dream of serving to a kid, or a guest, or your s.o.

And a big can of crushed tomatoes tossed in, cause I still had a few cans of crushed tomatoes.
        And a solid dash of the ultra-dark soy sauce I picked up at the oriental store a couple of years ago.

I've got to press and hold and press again and press some more on the buttons on my programmable pressure cooker before I can get it to believe I want something cooked, but it's not dead yet, so I'm not going to replace it.

All in all, not much to look at, but it tasted just fine. Toss a sprig of parsley into it, which I don't have, and it'd probably look okay anyway.

And there's enough left over for dinner tomorrow, too. Another day without grocery shopping, yay!
        I do the same thing from time to time to both avoid yet another trip shopping and to clean out the pantry and fridge. Last week I was real near of being out of anything to eat but I still had some elbow macaroni, some cheese in the fridge and a couple cans of Vienna Sausage that had been sitting around since Clinton was president (and yes I'm exaggerating -- slightly). Made macaroni and cheese, chopped up the Vienna sausage and dumped it in the pot. Seasoned with some oregano, salt and pepper and it was actually pretty good. But no, I doubt that I woulda fixed it if I had to feed anyone else.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I think it's illegal to cook people, whether they are bachelors or not.
          More nanny state nonsense. Just because we're a bit stringier, doesn't mean our taste isn't just as good.

Seriously, though -- Mrs CP and I are trying to do the same thing with just the two of us.
          Could bring a whole new meaning to the term: pot-bellied.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
            I am no bachelor, but I do like to cook all sorts of stuff based on oatmeal.
            Come to think of it, I do have half a box of oatmeal left ...

Comment

Tonight I'll probably be having some leftover goose (a friend of my uncle's comes over to my uncle's lake and shoots them ever and anon), rice or couscous (got some boxes off the discount rack), and whatever frozen vegetables strike my fancy when I get home.

I tend to stock up on imperishable goods when they're on sale, so the only things I'm short on at the moment are milk and bananas.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I've never understood why folks don't like left-overs. For instance, in my humble opinion, anything cooked with onions or tomatoes tastes better after a day sitting in the fridge. So long as you rinse it before putting it away, even pasta is fine. And there's nothing easier for a side-dish. Occasionally I need two pans to cook a meal, and who likes extra pans to wash? Left-overs go straight into the microwave, in and out of a container that's already going to need washing.

Now I cook with milk, though rarely, but mostly white sauces cause you can dump anything into those and call it cuisine. I don't drink it, so buying it fresh doesn't make any sense for me. Dry, it lasts for years, and you can always add some extra butter to make sure your sauce thickens up right. If I want to do it up brown, containers of half-and-half, or even (unwhipped) whipping cream, come in the right size, and you can fly through a convenience store to get them instead of hiking a quarter mile to find it, and then waiting in line in a grocery store.

Comment

I've never understood why folks don't like left-overs.
                  I had 5 sisters, 3 brothers, mom and dad, and gramma lived with us. I never knew there was such a thing as left-overs til I was 18.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I've never understood why folks don't like left-overs. For instance, in my humble opinion, anything cooked with onions or tomatoes tastes better after a day sitting in the fridge. So long as you rinse it before putting it away, even pasta is fine. And there's nothing easier for a side-dish. Occasionally I need two pans to cook a meal, and who likes extra pans to wash? Left-overs go straight into the microwave, in and out of a container that's already going to need washing.
                    I can usually taste the plastic it's been microwaved in. No idea why, but it's bad enough I usually heat things on a plate instead. My co-worker hates leftovers because his family was so poor growing up that leftovers usually meant a week of the same thing, usually ending up as thinner and thinner soups as the other stuff ran out.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                      I can usually taste the plastic it's been microwaved in.
                      Yeah, that makes you wonder what evil chemicals it adds to the food - we generally avoid nuking stuff in plastic. Not just the taste, but the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                        I can usually taste the plastic it's been microwaved in. No idea why, but it's bad enough I usually heat things on a plate instead. My co-worker hates leftovers because his family was so poor growing up that leftovers usually meant a week of the same thing, usually ending up as thinner and thinner soups as the other stuff ran out.
                        When I make spaghetti, I mix everything in the pasta pot and put that in the fridge once I've taken out a serving to eat. After that I just take out a bowl-full to reheat as needed.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I like leftovers, usually. It depends on what they are.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                            I like leftovers, usually. It depends on what they are.
                            I like turning them into something else. Leftover steak becomes soup or stew, leftover baked potatoes become potato soup, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              I like turning them into something else. Leftover steak becomes soup or stew, leftover baked potatoes become potato soup, etc.
                              My favourite roast leftover is slicing it into bite size pieces and just barely heating it up in a frying pan with some onion. And leftover potatoes baked or mashed, get the same treatment, sans onion, and a little longer cooking, till they cut golden and crusty.

I don't likeleftover cooked veg, otherwise, unless it goes into soup or something, because they tend to get overlooked if you reheat them as they are.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment