Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Bachelor cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like three decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwiches with arsenic sauce.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      We buy the cheap "cardboard pizza" - the thin crust frozen STORE brands - and just add what we want -- some extra cheese, BACON, pepperoni.... black olives... and bake it in the convection oven for longer than recommended. I like that "crispy" quality, and, yeah, leftovers are GREAT (if there are any).
      Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I eat those on occasion. Red Baron seems to taste the best. California Pizza Kitchen BBQ pizza is good too. I absofreakinglutely hate Dijornos. The "rising" crust has no taste whatsoever, and neither does the sauce.

I usually either use premade dough (the best because you can add spices to it) or the prebaked crusts, like Boboli.
      We switched to Freschetta. It's much better than the other stuff. Boboli was our previous go-to.
      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
        We switched to Freschetta. It's much better than the other stuff. Boboli was our previous go-to.
        I'm pretty casual with the p-word. If it's breadlike at all, bagel, tortilla, whatever ... you can make a pizza on it.

I've even tried it on a scattering of corn flakes.

That didn't work so good.

Comment

My wife doesn't know how to cook for 2-4 people. So we have leftovers for days after... I don't mind leftovers much cuz my wife's a pretty good cook!
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
            The Freshetta is slightly better than DiGiorno, but the crust still has no taste. blech.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              The Freshetta is slightly better than DiGiorno, but the crust still has no taste. blech.
              Meh. I have two pizza places (Pizza Hut and Dominos) and an Italian restaurant which also serves pizza within a mile and a half of my house. If I'm going to have pizza, I want it freshly made.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Meh. I have two pizza places (Pizza Hut and Dominos) and an Italian restaurant which also serves pizza within a mile and a half of my house. If I'm going to have pizza, I want it freshly made.
                I have a papa murphy's near my house where I can get a fresh pizza and take it home and bake it. But I kinda like making my own pizza and experimenting with different toppings. The boboli crusts are great for that. You can also get Pillsbury pizza crusts that come in a can like biscuits and they are not too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  My wife and I kept hearing about a particular restaurant, and decided to go check it out. When we got there, they were closed, so we used our GPS to search for "restaurants near us". The first one that popped up was "Locatelli's Pizza", which sounded like a "mom and pop" shop, so we decided to try it.

Sure enough, "Papa Locatelli" was running the place, and he hired college kids as wait staff, including scholarships for those who wanted to earn them.

GREAT pizza, dough made fresh, fresh ingredients, pizzas baked in a big gas fired brick oven that you could see from the bar. Also, all kinds of imported Italian wines.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

All of this talk about pizza makes me miss Tedesco's. It was really good.

Comment

When we lived in Ohio when Dad was in the service, there were a LOT of "mom and pop" pizza joints - Piccolo's, Giavani's, Marco's.... I was really bummed that all we had in Texas was the chains - Pizza Hut, Pizza Inn, etc.....

I LOVES me some "mom and pop" pizza. There was one - the "Lovin' Oven", which was also a big brick WOOD fired oven that made incredible pizza.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I have no access to an oven so the only pizza I make these days involves buying flour tortillas, adding some sauce and shredded cheese and microwaving it for 2 minutes then rolling it up. I add spinach to it sometimes. Stuff like pepperoni just adds grease that leaks out.

I also deep fry bacon, the only thing that compares with deep fried bacon is grilled bacon, but I don't have access to a grill either.
                        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I always fry my bacon. I save the bacon grease.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Dinner.jpg

Scrambled egg, provolone, raw white onion, tomato, and hummus on multi-grain sandwiches with sour-creamed black beans on the side.

Looks like ... well, you can see what it looks like ... but nobody (which means just me) is complaining.

Comment

Last night I made spicy pizza. I mixed Louisiana Hot Sauce into the marinara sauce and topped with Mozzarella, Monterrey Jack cheese, pepperoni, black olives and jalapenos.

Comment

Last night, we had some hamburger that either needed to be cooked or frozen.

So, we browned the hamburger meat, crushed (not completely) a bunch of tortilla chips, shredded some lettuce, diced some tomatoes, added some taco seasoning, and made our own rancho nachos! (A little catalina dressing, sour cream, salsa...)

Comment